U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 AM

3,090 posts, read 856,017 times

Advertisements

anyone have memories of growing up in south bend in the 50's or 60's. It was a great place then, I remember going downtown and the fish market, you could smell it a block away! and the A+ P accross from it, used to love that smell of the fresh coffee there. also storyland zoo in rum village park, There were no malls or shopping centers, all shopping was down town, Sears, Pennys, Robertsons, the lunch counter at Kresgee's (sp), anyone have memories?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM

2,088 posts, read 4,236,300 times
You might get more responses to this in the general Indiana forum. As you may know, South Bend is not considered "Northwest Indiana"....It is considered "Northern" Indiana. MOD please move this thread to the general Indiana forum. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM

I guess no one grew up in South Bend

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM

122 posts, read 39,087 times
I lived on West Washington Street in the 50's and started school at Pierre Navarre School and then Lafayette School. We moved to Granger Halloween weekend, 1959, where we stayed. I remember going shopping with my mom downtown South Bend at Robertson's and the neatest store - of course, I can't remember the name of it now! - but they sold all kinds of housewares and odds and ends cheap. I mostly remember cereal bowls from there with big flowers painted inside. Even as a kid, I liked going there and browsing the aisles.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather52 View Post
I lived on West Washington Street in the 50's and started school at Pierre Navarre School and then Lafayette School. We moved to Granger Halloween weekend, 1959, where we stayed. I remember going shopping with my mom downtown South Bend at Robertson's and the neatest store - of course, I can't remember the name of it now! - but they sold all kinds of housewares and odds and ends cheap. I mostly remember cereal bowls from there with big flowers painted inside. Even as a kid, I liked going there and browsing the aisles.
AHH at last, someone from South Bend! Sounds like the store you're describing might have been one called Inwoods or Ironwoods? It was located on Michigan St. on the west side of the street, probably about 3 blocks south of where Robertsons was. I think it was the same side street the bus station was( Grayhound). They had all kinds of housewares ,seems like the things were just set out on tables, and stacked up everywhere. It was a cool store.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
anyone have memories of growing up in south bend in the 50's or 60's. It was a great place then, I remember going downtown and the fish market, you could smell it a block away! and the A+ P accross from it, used to love that smell of the fresh coffee there. also storyland zoo in rum village park, There were no malls or shopping centers, all shopping was down town, Sears, Pennys, Robertsons, the lunch counter at Kresgee's (sp), anyone have memories?

Very good memories 50's 60's and downtown was the place. We would normally park at the Sear's store on Western Ave, eat in the car and walk to Michigan St. for shopping (also shop Sears of course or Robert Hall's). I remember that fish market. We never went into it much. Boy, Michigan St was busy--the traffic and people on the sidewalk. Jefferson and Michigan at Kresge's was really bad. There used to be a man with one leg sitting there selling the Tribune or pencils. Yes, the noise of the lunch counter at Kresge's echoed in the store with dishes and people. We might get a sub at the little snackbar in the back of Kresge's that had the big rootbeer barrel and a huge mural of downtown on the wall. Downstairs I spent a LOT of time waiting for mom or grandma getting permanents (also at the beautician school above Osco). I was allowed to go right outside the Kresge beauty shop and look at all of the fish and turtles. The State Theater was so huge, but I liked the Colfax better with the shiny brass and red carpets. Penny's had an elevator with a black woman operator for years. Penny's and Robertson's taught me what a mezzanine was. Grant's and Woolworth's also had big lunch bars. At noon, people would stand behind you waiting for you to finish. I believe it was Woolworth's that had oiled wood floors (Montgomery Wards in Niles had oiled wood floors and vacuum tubes for transactions). As a kid, it was fun to go downtown to shop--so much excitement and people.
We would go on Memorial Day normally to Rum Village for a picnic and maybe the zoo. Sometimes we would go to Potawatomi Park and that zoo. Then there was a park next to Shopper's Fair" (Playland Park I think) and the little amusement area. They had a merry-go-round with guns on your horses to shoot. Also there was a "tunnel of love' my parents would go on. It closed and most of it was turned into a 9 hole golf course. Lots of good family memories at these city parks.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 AM

12 posts, read 39,138 times
Default South Bend, a reply

Quote:
Just stumbled upon this website....don't know how to reply, but will try. I remember all of the above and might add if was sure it would be available to other readers...I remember the 1940s too.

Found this site while trying to fine Albert Tezla's book on South Bend....he was born there in 1915 and wrote many books while a professor at the U of MN -Duluth. would like to find one of his books: "Growing Up in South Bend"..where he describes his youth while living near Rum Village..on McPherson St.

Anyone have more info??

Jim

Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 AM

Default me too....Inwoods, etc.

Quote:
AHH at last, someone from South Bend! Sounds like the store you're describing might have been one called Inwoods or Ironwoods? It was located on Michigan St. on the west side of the street, probably about 3 blocks south of where Robertsons was. I think it was the same side street the bus station was( Grayhound). They had all kinds of housewares ,seems like the things were just set out on tables, and stacked up everywhere. It was a cool store.

It was Inwoods..exactly like you described it. At 15 I worked at "Builders Hardware", an old line hardware which was located in the next block south of Inwoods....on lunch hour I would pick up things for my mother at Inwoods. The owner of the hardware store would not allow anything in the store except REAL hardware...nuts, bolts, hardware, nails, mechanical parts, paint, hoses, etc. When someone suggested ANYTHING out of that type of product to be carried he always said he didn't want to turn it into an Inwoods... his name was Russ Palmer....went out of business about 1952....reopened in Elkhart as Palmers Hardware later.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 AM

It was Inwoods..exactly like you described it. At 15 I worked at "Builders Hardware", an old line hardware which was located in the next block south of Inwoods....on lunch hour I would pick up things for my mother at Inwoods. The owner of the hardware store would not allow anything in the store except REAL hardware...nuts, bolts, hardware, nails, mechanical parts, paint, hoses, etc. When someone suggested ANYTHING out of that type of product to be carried he always said he didn't want to turn it into an Inwoods... his name was Russ Palmer....went out of business about 1952....reopened in Elkhart as Palmers Hardware later. (sending here too as I don't understand how this website works)
Jim

Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Remember it all...you have better memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1951 View Post
Very good memories 50's 60's and downtown was the place. We would normally park at the Sear's store on Western Ave, eat in the car and walk to Michigan St. for shopping (also shop Sears of course or Robert Hall's). I remember that fish market. We never went into it much. Boy, Michigan St was busy--the traffic and people on the sidewalk. Jefferson and Michigan at Kresge's was really bad. There used to be a man with one leg sitting there selling the Tribune or pencils. Yes, the noise of the lunch counter at Kresge's echoed in the store with dishes and people. We might get a sub at the little snackbar in the back of Kresge's that had the big rootbeer barrel and a huge mural of downtown on the wall. Downstairs I spent a LOT of time waiting for mom or grandma getting permanents (also at the beautician school above Osco). I was allowed to go right outside the Kresge beauty shop and look at all of the fish and turtles. The State Theater was so huge, but I liked the Colfax better with the shiny brass and red carpets. Penny's had an elevator with a black woman operator for years. Penny's and Robertson's taught me what a mezzanine was. Grant's and Woolworth's also had big lunch bars. At noon, people would stand behind you waiting for you to finish. I believe it was Woolworth's that had oiled wood floors (Montgomery Wards in Niles had oiled wood floors and vacuum tubes for transactions). As a kid, it was fun to go downtown to shop--so much excitement and people.
We would go on Memorial Day normally to Rum Village for a picnic and maybe the zoo. Sometimes we would go to Potawatomi Park and that zoo. Then there was a park next to Shopper's Fair" (Playland Park I think) and the little amusement area. They had a merry-go-round with guns on your horses to shoot. Also there was a "tunnel of love' my parents would go on. It closed and most of it was turned into a 9 hole golf course. Lots of good family memories at these city parks.
This is a VERY complete description... I remember them all.... Kresge's Lunch Counter was a necessary stop while wandering between Robertson's and Washington St. or on the way across the street to the State Theater for the weekly "serials" as well as current ( or less current) movies. To date myself the comment about Playland Park reminded me of watch the South Bend Blue Sox play baseball in the league that became famous with the movie much later. Also remember the amusement park (torn down to build the Shoppers Fair ? Does anyone remember golfing at Studebaker gold course...went by there last week and marveled at the layout...many holes in so small an area. the entire course was a fairway for one or another of the holes.....and Riley High School rebuilt and moved !!!

Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana