U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,969 times

Advertisements

Hello Hoosier's,

My name is Ron, currently residing in western Pennsylvania. Hopefully in a couple weeks I will be needing to relocate to the Columbus area. I was wondering how the housing/apartments are in the area. I'd preferably like to stay within 15-20 miles of Columbus.

How much does $600/month get you? Currently renting a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment for a little under $500/month (rent+utilities). As much as I would love a nice 2 story house on 5-10 acres, a 20% down payment isn't quit feasible at the moment.

Are there alot of houses for rent in the area? What all local newspapers should I try to find online/pick up? Should I get the job offer, I'll probably be making a weekend trip out.

thanks in advance, hope to be moving out there soon
Ron
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM

17,601 posts, read 24,991,296 times
Man, Columbus is HOT!!!!

There are a lot of apartment complexes and there are homes to be found as well. I'd check out our local newspaper website: The Republic - Columbus, Indiana

Hope it works out for you and we see you in our town.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,157,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb280 View Post
Are there alot of houses for rent in the area? What all local newspapers should I try to find online/pick up?
I won't sugar-coat it; renting here in Columbus is hard.

I found that to be the case at least. Even the local "relocation experts" focus mainly on home sales.

If you move into one of the big apartment complexes you'll do ok. If you want a small house, the best way, IME, is to drive around town with a notebook, pen, and cell phone. Most of the houses are owned by single-owners and small-time investors. Quality and service vary.

Here's a link to the local paper:

The Republic - Columbus, Indiana

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM

26 posts, read 61,812 times
I second what Domergirl and Plaidmom said.
The rental situation is very hit or miss here, and PRICE is not always an indication of VALUE. We learned THAT one the hard way because we didn't take our time and do our homework. I don't know if I'm allowed to say on here the name of our last rental place, but we payed way too much for what we got. You win some, you loose some, right? Just do your homework and check online reviews if you go with a big complex.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 AM

17,601 posts, read 24,991,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonBread View Post
I second what Domergirl and Plaidmom said.
The rental situation is very hit or miss here, and PRICE is not always an indication of VALUE. We learned THAT one the hard way because we didn't take our time and do our homework. I don't know if I'm allowed to say on here the name of our last rental place, but we payed way too much for what we got. You win some, you loose some, right? Just do your homework and check online reviews if you go with a big complex.
It's best to direct message that information.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 PM

376 posts, read 833,894 times
ITA. I love columbus and would love to live there but we're not in a position to buy and in a year and eight months I've found exactly two rental houses that were 1- in the school district and general area within that district we wanted to be in, 2- within our price range, and 3- in good, safe condition. If you are only looking for an apartment or condo, from what I'm told by the local realtors and general pubic, you are far more likely to find something suitable.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM

19 posts, read 27,590 times
Not sure about houses but Westlake is good - Southside school district is really good. You might be able to rent in the Parkside schools but would have to check a local realtor for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana