U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,581 times
Smile lewisville indiana history

I am purchasing a house on williams street that used to be a funeral home. does anyone know where i can pictures or more info on this property. I love old houses and am trying to dig up up any info that i can find. I am also a new real estate agent and would love to find how to drum up some buyers or sellers you wont find a more honest agent anywhere or friendly hehe thanks to all and have a good day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 AM

17,577 posts, read 24,244,513 times
You could google map the address and see it from above ...

House in a former funeral home, how 6 Feet Under!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,619 times
Is that the house behind the old Wesley's Market? If so, somebody named Charlene Smith used to own it, but she's passed on now. You might check the tax records and see if you can find a previous owner who's still around. If it's the house, I was in it a few times...creepy, especially the lower floor. And at that time, it still had the smell of a funeral home. I think Mrs. Smith's daughter, last name of Pyle, might still be around the area, perhaps in Spiceland.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,325 times
I used to know a family that lived in that house. It is so beautiful, with so much potential....but has a lot of work that needs done.
I have been there many times, spent many nights there as well as had many delicious meals in that house. The fact that it was once a funeral home was just that. A fact. Not a feeling. No creepiness, no ghosts....
Here's what I know....
A man built houses for his 2 daughters or two sisters. The other daughter's house was in the country around here and had a ballroom where you have an attic. My memory of this is more cloudy than I thought, but I hope what I tell you will give you something to go on. I think the other house was a mirror image of yours, meaning the living room would have been on the west side of the door, the steps on the east. The other person's house burned down.
We had a lot of fun speculating how they (the other sister and her family, if she had one) had a stairway to the attic. Maybe that big closet in the east bedroom was a stairway, it is the right shape. We are assuming that the bathroom under the stairs was added on, maybe the stairs did not always turn like that?
I can tell you about the bullet hole in the wall between the east bedrooms. I can tell you that when my friends were there, they had some paperwork about the history...very sketchy, but would lead you the right direction. I will ask them what happened to this.
The family has mixed feelings about talking about the house and speculating about it, so I may not get back to you soon.
I would be interested to know if you find anything different about the front stairway, about the 5th-6th-7th step up, (before the closet starts underneath.) Something about that step always caught my attention.
We have recently purchased a house here in the city, too, and (Ok, not a city,) We have recently purchased a house here in town, too, and are interested in the history of the town.
Let me know if you have the magic words to get Rumpke to deliver a trash can and recycling bin to you. They charge, they sent us a bill already, but it's been over 6 weeks and we still don't have them. Ah, the wonders of small-town living!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 AM

thanks for the info..anything that you have would be so appreciated. I love this house we have put alot of work into it but still alot remains. I didnt notice a bullet hole between the bedrooms, but yes i would def be interested in what happened. i know that by the step you are talking about the spindle is broken there, wow anything that you noticed i would love to hear ive been nosing around almost all inches of the house just trying to find little things.

thanks!

oh i have no idea about rumpke lol..do you do your trash separate? i do mine through the utility company and they do a pretty good job.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,325 times
Yes, Rumpke is through the city for us, too, but the city is no help on renting the garbage cans.
Ok, the bullet hole was from the front bedroom and I think it lodged in the wall of the East bedroom--a child was looking at his dad's gun, got it out of a locked cabinet, and pulled the trigger. Then the child realized he had made a big mistake! No one was hurt.
There was a story that someone was cleaning his gun on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and shot himself and died. Or maybe it was a suicide. Unsure. I believe the story I got (which was way after the fact!) was that he was on the West steps of the front porch.
As for the certain stepon the front interior stairway, I do not have any information; it just always seemed to catch my attention. I did not remember there was a broken spinkle there. Maybe I sub-consciously saw the break?
If you have specific questions, we are still incontact with the family that lived there, and will gladly ask them and let you know.
Good luck!

Old 09-16-2008, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
Hi penjef,
I lived in your house as a child. We were the first family to live in the house after it was a funeral home. The man who died in the house on Christmas Eve was my father. I have a few pics of the house taken by my father in the mid to late sixties that you may like to see. I also know some history of the place. I love that house and despite some sad times there I have always felt at peace when i'm in it. We need to get together sometime.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 AM

Default lewisville house

that would be so awesome, my email is pj1_1999@yahoo.com if you would like to email me. I would to see some photos. It's going to take years for me to work on it, but its a work of love, I fell in love with it as soon as i seen it. i was given a photo from 1906 which was cool. Its really nice to hear from you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana