Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,843 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

Well after 43 yrs I am taking a chance and moving somewhere else.
I'm tired of the big city. I need a change. We're getting the squeeze here from high taxes, crooked politicians, gridlock traffic, and people that don't care about how they live. I've had enough. Now I am looking for a nice place to raise my family. I have a relative that lives in Lafayette for 10 yrs now and that is what made me think of going there, she loves it and is very happy there. I did get her perspective but shes bias, of course she would want me to move there because then she would have some family near by. I need a 3rd party tie breaker.

Well my main concern are: Jobs, Schools, Neighborhood, House.

Jobs: Wages, availability. I am a jack of all trades and master of none.
But my background is in the printing industry, Customer Service, Sales and Bi-Lingual (Spanish) .
I would probably need to find a job till I can open a business operation.(Custom Signs and Apparel)
I currently run a business out of my home, Printing, Signs, and Custom Apparel and would want to open a shop there in the future.
Basically I am a 9-5 & an entrepreneur. But again, for the time being I would have to start by getting a 9-5. What are Wages/Industry like in the area?

Schools: Have a young one that is in Kindergarten we pay for his education here because the public schools are terrible.
So, I would like to eliminate that cost.
I read that Harrison and West Lafayette are the better school systems in the area, do you have to live in those districts to go there or if you live in Lafayette can he go to W. Lafayette? I'm thinking No but I thought I would ask anyway.

Neighborhood/House/Affordability/Safety
Want to stay in the area of $150/200k for a home.

I've lived in the urban environment (been there done that, don't like it)

I currently live in the city but in more of a suburban setting, it's ok but I still feel that I am still too close to the next house even though I have a little distance, still not enough.

I'm not sure about a development area, as all houses look the same and don't seem to have much character. (am I being to picky yet) after a few years they start to settle and you get cracks in the walls and whatnot because they're built so cheap (I used to work construction, I know). I'd prefer an older house that has weathered the test of time.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Victorian type home on a large lot with a coach house would be nice, or a house on a couple acres.
I've been on Zillow and Trudia and have seen some large houses and what I consider cheap prices compared to here.

Neighborhood: I would like to be in a clean, friendly, nice people, affordable, safe area away from any criminal element. As I understand it crime is pretty low there but still, don't want to end up next to any kind of a shady neighborhood.
I don't have pets so that's not an issue, I drive everywhere I go so transportation isn't either.
I'm a moderate/liberal leaning right (is there such a thing?) so I don't want to end up in a ultra liberal or ultra conservative area, and although I don't mind a party once in a while I don't want to be anywhere noisy or rowdy.

I think I have covered everything please feel free to add anything to the list that I may not have covered or have over looked.
I like Indiana way, way better than Illinois IMO. I know the people are very nice and I'm sure I would like living in that state.

Thanks to whomever replies.
Also, I have already read the threads that I could find in regards to Lafayette and did find some useful information, but I figured I would start one based on my criteria.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,131,160 times
Purdue is your best bet in the printing field.

As for older Victorian homes, S. 9th Street Hill and Highland Park are the two best areas to look. However, most of them will not have much land with them.

Beyond Lafayette, one can find Victorian homes in bedroom communities such as Rossville, Mulberry, Attica, Delphi, and Brookston.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 09-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,630,520 times
What about Battle Ground? I have a buddy who loved their school system.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
What about Battle Ground? I have a buddy who loved their school system.
I believe Battle Ground is in the Tippecanoe School Corporation (TSC) system and, yes, that is another possible option.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 15,843 times
I appreciate all the information and am very grateful to your responses.
Lafayette seems like a great trade off from Chicago, the only thing that would stop me from moving out there would be a descent paying job.
I'll be out there in a couple weeks to scout out the town.

However; I do have something that is making me wonder. Why are there so many homes on the market? Is there some kind of flight going on there? It just seems like the market is saturated with homes right now.
Due to the economy I can see that angle of it, but it just seems a bit odd.
I don't want to go a dying town and end up feeling like I live in Flint, MI.

Can anyone chime in on this? Or is the Real Estate market always like that?

Thanks again

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R333 View Post
I appreciate all the information and am very grateful to your responses.
Lafayette seems like a great trade off from Chicago, the only thing that would stop me from moving out there would be a descent paying job.
I'll be out there in a couple weeks to scout out the town.

However; I do have something that is making me wonder. Why are there so many homes on the market? Is there some kind of flight going on there? It just seems like the market is saturated with homes right now.
Due to the economy I can see that angle of it, but it just seems a bit odd.
I don't want to go a dying town and end up feeling like I live in Flint, MI.

Can anyone chime in on this? Or is the Real Estate market always like that?

Thanks again
In my opinion, there was a huge over-supply of cheap single family homes built on the east and south sides of Lafayette. There was also over-building of new apartments around West Lafayette and many landlords were concerned about that. They were going up like there would never be an end to demand. I believe the Lafayette real estate market started to take a nose dive before the national housing crash even occurred.

It is going to take a long time for the market to correct itself and eliminate the excess supply.

As for new good jobs becoming available in Lafayette, I have not heard of any.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,142,189 times
OP: Check out these recent threads about people considering a move to Lafayette. They contain very detailed and thoughtful responses about living in Lafayette:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/india...ianapolis.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/indiana/1049596-moving-fort-collins-co-west-lafayette.html

You may find some answers to your questions. Hope that helps!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,142,189 times
Oh sorry, just saw that you had said you had already read the older threads!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,351 times
Talking We're coming down!

My husband and I are retiring in 3 years and moving from the Chicago suburbs to near Battle Ground. We already have the land and will build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana