Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
Tope 8 in health care, https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...olis-indiana-3

As for the rest of your claims, that is all subjective.
Not really subjective as economic data is a key component to quality life and a good place to raise a family. A few areas of the state do very well in those categories, but many areas are below average. There are good reasons why house values are much greater in areas that have a stronger economy as well. Also, out-migration of people is a huge factor in certain cases. If an area can't retain families or younger people because they have other inherent problems, that is a sign of more problems in the future economically for the area. Counties that are indicative of this include: Grant, Wayne, Blackford, Vigo, Greene, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,006 times
Quote:
Tope 8 in health care, https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...olis-indiana-3

As for the rest of your claims, that is all subjective.
And we pay the price for it. I've been seeing this in the news the last several months.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ys/3513795002/

Old 10-09-2019, 01:07 PM

89 posts, read 113,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not really subjective as economic data is a key component to quality life and a good place to raise a family. A few areas of the state do very well in those categories, but many areas are below average. There are good reasons why house values are much greater in areas that have a stronger economy as well. Also, out-migration of people is a huge factor in certain cases. If an area can't retain families or younger people because they have other inherent problems, that is a sign of more problems in the future economically for the area. Counties that are indicative of this include: Grant, Wayne, Blackford, Vigo, Greene, etc.

What is a good place to raise a family depends on who and how that person wants to raise a family.

School,Morals and strength of community might be important to one person.

To me it is school and violent crimes. I can deal with property crime and druggies. You can't get away from that! But I do want to avoid gangs and murders. So I decided to stay away from Chicago, Baltimore and LA.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:30 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
From Ohio originally so take my comments FWIW, BUT Indiana always seemed a good 10 years behind anywhere else in the Midwest. Why? No idea as to what underlying reasons one could come up with to answer that but the Hoosier state has just always given off a very behind the times feel. When I started teaching 15 years ago in South Carolina I had a young lady in class who would tell me her dad was from Indiana and he always referred to his home state as the place that time forgot.

With all that being said ironically everyone I've ever met from Indiana has been beyond normal and pretty cool. The people I've worked with over the years who were born and raised in Indiana are all good people.
When I lived in Muncie, Indiana, until about 1974/75 as soon as you crossed into Ohio, the roads were a lot smoother. You didn't need a sign that let you know were entering Ohio. The smoothness of the road let you know. Back then you could drink at 18 in Ohio and in Indiana you had to be 21. When I was a senior in high school alot of the kids would drive 50 miles to Greenville, Ohio for the bars and dance halls. We'd also go to the races at El Dora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio. Ohio had a lot more to offer, as far as things to do, than Indiana. There was 2 big amusement parks, Kings Island and Lesordsville (spelling is probably incorrect, but that's how it was pronounced), near Cincinatti. At that time the population of the US was about 200 million and a city over 100,000 was considered a big city. Ohio had several cities well over 100,000. Toledo, Dayton, Cincinatti, Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown. All of those had a nice size division 1 or division 2 college located in them. Indianapolis didn't have nowhere near the offerings that Cincinatti did and Ft. Wayne didn't have the offerings that Dayton or Toledo did. Cincy had the NBA, NFL and MLB and a nice zoo. Indianapolis had the Pacers the last few years I lived there, and there was a children's zoo I never went, but people talked about how nice it was, and there were no amusement parks around Indianapolis and Central Indiana, and possibly the entire state. Ohio was always more progressive than Indiana from what I could tell. I think the big cities of Ohio had a lot to do with it. Indiana was still pretty rural back then. Overall, I think Ohio offered more than Illinois, because outside of Chicago, Illinois didn't have all that many big towns. Rockford and Peoria were the only 2 outside of Chicagoland that was over 100,000, I do believe. Alot has changed since way back then but alot of things still remain the same.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:28 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Probably because, like so much of the Midwest and South, it's full of backwards people.
So saith the screenwriter.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:38 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
When I lived in Muncie, Indiana, until about 1974/75 as soon as you crossed into Ohio, the roads were a lot smoother. You didn't need a sign that let you know were entering Ohio. The smoothness of the road let you know. Back then you could drink at 18 in Ohio and in Indiana you had to be 21. When I was a senior in high school alot of the kids would drive 50 miles to Greenville, Ohio for the bars and dance halls. We'd also go to the races at El Dora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio. Ohio had a lot more to offer, as far as things to do, than Indiana. There was 2 big amusement parks, Kings Island and Lesordsville (spelling is probably incorrect, but that's how it was pronounced), near Cincinatti. At that time the population of the US was about 200 million and a city over 100,000 was considered a big city. Ohio had several cities well over 100,000. Toledo, Dayton, Cincinatti, Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown. All of those had a nice size division 1 or division 2 college located in them. Indianapolis didn't have nowhere near the offerings that Cincinatti did and Ft. Wayne didn't have the offerings that Dayton or Toledo did. Cincy had the NBA, NFL and MLB and a nice zoo. Indianapolis had the Pacers the last few years I lived there, and there was a children's zoo I never went, but people talked about how nice it was, and there were no amusement parks around Indianapolis and Central Indiana, and possibly the entire state. Ohio was always more progressive than Indiana from what I could tell. I think the big cities of Ohio had a lot to do with it. Indiana was still pretty rural back then. Overall, I think Ohio offered more than Illinois, because outside of Chicago, Illinois didn't have all that many big towns. Rockford and Peoria were the only 2 outside of Chicagoland that was over 100,000, I do believe. Alot has changed since way back then but alot of things still remain the same.
Illinois and Indiana are very similar - they both have one large city, a few small cities and a bunch of small towns, some with colleges and most not.

Ohio most certainly benefited from 5 larger cities, but all three have similar issues in certain areas, which is over-reliance on blue collar industries.

Indy's roads were most certainly awful for most of the previous half-century and when I lived there, were notorious for very poor inclement weather road management as well. Too many black ice accidents in the wintertime and accidents started by too many potholes.

There are things about Indiana I have truly come to appreciate now that I've been officially gone for 10 years. Turkey Run State Park is a fantastic place to hike (trail 3 ftw), the IMA (despite their move from free admission to some crazy number) is an outstanding facility with a great collection, and Columbus/Bloomington with Little Nashville in between is super eclectic and friendlier than Indy and points northward.

Went to South Bend recently to see the minor league Cubs, and was shocked at how desolate and depressing the area was outside of the Notre Dame campus area, which obviously looks nice. The stadium is nice, but the rest of the downtown area had seemingly no life whatsoever, on a Friday night even.

I wonder if the state would be better off if they owned the Ohio River waterway that it borders instead of Kentucky.

I don't know that I would really ever consider calling Indiana backwards, but Indianapolis and most points North are certainly boring, with minor exceptions.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Illinois and Indiana are very similar - they both have one large city, a few small cities and a bunch of small towns, some with colleges and most not.

Ohio most certainly benefited from 5 larger cities, but all three have similar issues in certain areas, which is over-reliance on blue collar industries.

Indy's roads were most certainly awful for most of the previous half-century and when I lived there, were notorious for very poor inclement weather road management as well. Too many black ice accidents in the wintertime and accidents started by too many potholes.

There are things about Indiana I have truly come to appreciate now that I've been officially gone for 10 years. Turkey Run State Park is a fantastic place to hike (trail 3 ftw), the IMA (despite their move from free admission to some crazy number) is an outstanding facility with a great collection, and Columbus/Bloomington with Little Nashville in between is super eclectic and friendlier than Indy and points northward.

Went to South Bend recently to see the minor league Cubs, and was shocked at how desolate and depressing the area was outside of the Notre Dame campus area, which obviously looks nice. The stadium is nice, but the rest of the downtown area had seemingly no life whatsoever, on a Friday night even.

I wonder if the state would be better off if they owned the Ohio River waterway that it borders instead of Kentucky.

I don't know that I would really ever consider calling Indiana backwards, but Indianapolis and most points North are certainly boring, with minor exceptions.
From a natural perspective, the most interesting parts of the state are in the south where there are basically no towns or jobs.

I'm from east TN. Shades and Turkey Run are C- here. Going to central IN with an outdoor background in northeast TN, western NC, and southwest VA, everything I found there was just massively inferior to my home area.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Well, IL has Rockford, Peoria, Aurora, Bloomington and some other cities. However, most of the populace resides north of I-80. IN does not have that many populated areas.

Quote:
Indy's roads were most certainly awful for most of the previous half-century and when I lived there, were notorious for very poor inclement weather road management as well.
Indiana's roads are poor due to lack of infrastructure. The state is proud of low taxes and has the pot holes to show for it.

I consider it backward (and I worked in IN) due to reliance for tax revenue on the 'steel region' and laissez faire about environmental problems in the area. The rest of the state don't care. It has a legislature under the sway of the NRA so private employers may not ban firearms from their parking lots. Remember the car tags said "Wander Indiana" like you were lost or something?

The people are nice enough in IN but the governing of the state is backwards.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:53 PM

89 posts, read 113,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, IL has Rockford, Peoria, Aurora, Bloomington and some other cities. However, most of the populace resides north of I-80. IN does not have that many populated areas.

Indiana's roads are poor due to lack of infrastructure. The state is proud of low taxes and has the pot holes to show for it.

I consider it backward (and I worked in IN) due to reliance for tax revenue on the 'steel region' and laissez faire about environmental problems in the area. The rest of the state don't care. It has a legislature under the sway of the NRA so private employers may not ban firearms from their parking lots. Remember the car tags said "Wander Indiana" like you were lost or something?

The people are nice enough in IN but the governing of the state is backwards.

If true, then why did they get high praise for having great roads and infrastructure. Rated number 1 2019 and number 3 in 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/thes...re-crisis.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/5-st...a-in-2019.html

Last edited by noahp45; 10-16-2019 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-16-2019, 03:47 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
If true, then why did they get high praise for having great roads and infrastructure. Rated number 1 2019 and number 3 in 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/thes...re-crisis.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/5-st...a-in-2019.html
Interstate highways get federal funds. Have you been on the state roads like Route 41 between 'the region' and Terre Haute? You can see what lack of infrastructure does.

Have you seen that fascist monument smack in the middle of Indy? Backwards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana