U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 PM

27 posts, read 33,170 times

Advertisements

thanks. i saw the houses...we know other people who have recommended for forest park area. there are so many family areas though, it seems. i really just want to walk my kids to school and have them live near other kids their age and be able to trick-or-treat and not be a nervous wreck about the neighborhood, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,249,850 times
sounds like my neighborhood!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM

91 posts, read 215,318 times
amm240.
If you are looking for walking distance to IUPUC and your child's school then Parkside Area would be the closest for that. Columbus has great people trails. They are accessible all around. The Carriage Estates and Fairlawn area would also be a close walking distance to the child's school. Columbus is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. I have lived here all my life and raised both of my children here.
Good Luck,
Julie Lashley

Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 AM

question...are there any websites on the different develpments or subdivisions?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 PM

Not that I'm aware of ... what kind of information are you looking for? Columbus isn't a suburban type town. We don't have an HOA, for instance. I think Breakaway Trails and Broadmoor do, but that's only for common area upkeep and it's a newer neighborhood. Tipton Lakes has an HOA, but there are neighborhoods within the big neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Just comparables. I'd love to see the pros and cons of all the different areas.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM

All of the different areas? Ummmmm ... you realize that Columbus is a rather large town right? 40K people spread out over 30 miles ... That's kind of hard to do. Again, Columbus isn't suburban. You said you wanted a walkable school .. there are a few (Parkside, schmitt, Richards for example). My suggestion to you is that you look at houses in a specific elementary school district and then we can tell you about the neighborhood or area.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,246,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm240 View Post
Just comparables. I'd love to see the pros and cons of all the different areas.
Sorry, we aren't that...errrr....organized?

Tipton Lakes is the only area that has a website as far as I know:

Tipton Lakes Community Association, Columbus, IN 47201

and it's very rah rah pro-Tipton Lakes. Imagine that!

TL has many lovely homes, at all price points. Many families live there and are happy. Tons-o kids. Two parks. A marinia. Good, safe, trick-or-treating. The One Big Flaw (in my mind and as domergurl has pointed out):NO walkable schools. Your kids really couldn't even bike to Southside. Sorry. It's still a nice place to live, and your hubby would be about ~10-15 minutes closer (by car) to the trails west of town than if you lived east of I-65. Expect to DRIVE your kids to activities in town (ballet? soccer?), to school and to IUPUC. Not a terrible choice, as long as you love your car and get decent gas mileage.

I still think Parkside or Forest Park (LOVVVVE that neighborhood; I'm a fan of MCM architecture) would bet a better choice.

I live in the Donner Park area (and love it!), but didn't really push for that based on your criteria. 1: the walk to Schmitt school isn't that great. Must cross a major road (25th). 2: you say you need a BIG house and our houses are all older. 1900-1950's. They can be large in square footage, but older houses just "live" differently. You either are an old-house person....or you are not. We don't have "open floor plans" or "spa-like master suites"....in general, in this part of town.

Good luck and best wishes on the hunt!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:04 PM

222 posts, read 274,004 times
I will tell you this, I love the East side of Columbus and rather not live on any other side unless it is where the super rich live at and still I would live in Bexleywhich is on the East side. I would maybe consider short-north arts district cause it is in close proximity to Downtown, but I do love the East-side and think it is a great place to live. If on the east-side Mc Naughten estates in Reynoldsburgh is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana