Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 AM

54 posts, read 98,842 times

Advertisements

I love when people assume that just because people don't want anything about (a) "god" plastered everywhere that said people worship satan. The term "Atheist" means someone who doesn't believe in a higher power. Agnostic means someone who just doesn't care/or doesn't have an opinion. A SATANIST worships Satan.

This country was FOUNDED on freedom from religious tyranny (among obviously many other things), not on religion. It just so happened that our ancestors were so far up their "god's" butt that they included "him/her/it" in everything they did.

*Doesn't (I assume) YOUR "god"- oh, sorry, "God" preach in his li'l book: "Money is the root of all evil"? And if that is such, and "his" name is upon it - perhaps "he" is also evil? Twist that.

*Military-it's their choice to swear it. I'm sure they could forfeit it if they so choose, yanno, defending our country and its religious freedoms and all.

*Politicians - I don't believe half of what they say, sworn or otherwise!

*I've not had the privilege (need?) to be in a court to swear anything and if I did, I'd have to figure something else out because I wouldn't swear on a Bible or swear to something I did not believe in and there isn't a court that can legally bind me to such an oath.

*"God" maybe all over the documents which made this country free but then, some of the laws that were written then also disallowed black people the same rights as whites; didn't allow women to vote and didn't allow women to even wear pants - and yet, you expect me (and others) to accept that "god" should remain in those documents? Eh well, times, they are a changing.

I live in exactly the RIGHT country because I have the freedom... the RIGHT to believe as I want to believe and speak as I wish to speak.

In America, I can do these things - "god" or no "god".

I also believe somewhere in that book it also states CLEARLY: "JUDGE NOT LEST YOU BE JUDGED"!

Last edited by chele11; 01-03-2011 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: changed the "I" to something more plural
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Boo hoo.

Life's unfair until we can get a " I worship satan " plate for "free".

Guess what, God is on all your money too "in God (capital "G") we trust".
Every member of the military swears "so help me GOD" to defend YOU and this country.
All our elected officials take the same oath. (probably allot more lightly though)
In the courts you swear to GOD that your testimony is the truth.
God is all over the Constitution the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence, with phrases like "in the year of our Lord" (capital "L") and "the Supreme Judge" and "the Protection of the divine Providence" all references to GOD, etc etc.

You live in the wrong country if you have a problem with "God" because like God, it's everywhere in America.

Get the Plain Blue Plate for free if the other one gives you a twist. And if you have an issue with your "In God We Trust" CASH....donate it all to charity.
more strawman arguments ...

Hey! There are swastikas all over the HPER building at IU, does that mean IU is a secret haven for Nazis?

God tends to get inserted into the public domain whenever fear is inserted by a political party ... it's unfortunate, but most who spew strawman rhetoric are those that forget, or have never taken the time to learn that what this country was founded on was the fact that the founders wanted to get away from a monarchy system that subscribed to the fact that monarchists at that time truly believed that their king was descended from God ...

This didn't make our founding fathers atheists, they were deists ... I'll leave that research up to you.

The whole In God We Trust thing ... ugh ... again, strawmen haven't studied. It didn't appear on money until the 1860's ... 1860's ... uhhhhh, civil war time. Fear. It didn't become our national motto and wasn't inserted into our pledge until the 1950's when those godless commies put a piece of space junk into the atmosphere ... FEAR.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:03 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,588,247 times
Quote:
Boo hoo.

I don't think there should be an I worship satan plate for free. I'm not complaining simply because it is a plate that involves God. I'm complaining because this specialty plate is given to people for free, while every other specialty plate costs money. I either think every single license plate needs to be free or every license plate, apart from a single standard one, needs to cost extra.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM

34 posts, read 105,958 times
You know, I thought I still had the green one with the state URL in big letters. I'm sure I don't have in god we trust because I would have pitched a fit over it. Hmm... now I'll have to look.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM

369 posts, read 677,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Maybe I am being a crazy liberal, but aren't having In God We Trust plates for free unfair? I mean if I want an IU or Colts plate it costs extra money along with every other specialty plate, but for some reason In God We Trust is free. I just think that it's unfair for those who are religious to get a free plate. By the way this is coming from the perspective of a Christian and this isn't just random; it popped in my head after reading this article.
Liberal, Christian? Talk about a mix!! Anyways, you are right, it is unfair. My guess is that the state is able to get away with it, because my understanding was that no one group/entity sponsored this plate. If a plate has a private organization sponsoring it, then I don't think taxpayers should foot the bill for any extra costs associated with said plate. Along the same lines, this means that Indiana should have a "In Nothing We Trust," "In Satan We Trust," "In Lucifer We Trust," "In Physics We Trust," etc. etc., with no fees as well. Obviously, that likely wouldn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I didn't conveniently leave it out. I own one of those blue plates. All I am saying is that I don't believe it is fair that anything other than the standard blue plates is free, unless you make every type of license plate free. Why don't you justify why the IGWT plates should be free?
Then every group should be allowed to have their own plate, including The KKK, Aryan Nations, etc.. By using the procedures they have now, an entity gets some funding, which taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for. To me, the opposite of the God plate is all the state has to offer as free and things would definitely be more equal. I gave examples of plates opposite of the IGWT plate above.

The best plate is yet to come though...and since it is state sponsored, it will also be FREE!!! (On edit: Only to come if the bill becomes law I should point out).

Introduced Version, Senate Bill 0115

Citations Affected: IC 9-18; IC 9-29-5-38.7.
Synopsis: Don't Tread on Me license plate. Establishes the Don't Tread on Me license plate (plate). Specifies that: (1) the plate must bear a depiction of a coiled snake; (2) the plate is not a special group license plate; and (3) the cost for the plate is an annual registration fee for a vehicle of the same classification and any other fee or tax required of a person registering a vehicle.

Effective: July 1, 2011.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,074,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

I'm more hacked about not being able to renew my tags at a branch ... what a load!
Although I'm not a fan of the "god" plates (ever notice how many truly horrid drivers run them??? ) I'm more concerned with the issue DG brings up above^^^.

WTH? If the BMV stops issuing plates, what next??? Driver's licenses?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I'm more hacked about not being able to renew my tags at a branch ... what a load!
What news source did you hear that from? You asked me to cite a source, now I'm asking you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
WTH? If the BMV stops issuing plates, what next??? Driver's licenses?
Domergurl is wrong. The BMV branch is still issuing plates. They are just using a central repository for the items and mailing them to your home. I have been ordering my plates and renewal stickers on-line for a few years now (they used to give a $5.00 per vehicle discount, can't recall if they are still doing that) and there is never an issue. Before using the on-line system, I used the mail in system, again, no issues.

If one can't send in a mailing with a check, or use a computer, they can still go to their branch and take care of things. You will get a receipt that you just keep in your car until the plate or sticker arrives.

Oh, the horror!!!

Whatever source DG used to spread disinformation needs to be contacted and told they should issue a correction to the disinformation.

BMV license plate renewal moves out of the local branches :: Local News :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/2999752,new-bmv0104.article - broken link)

Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
What news source did you hear that from? You asked me to cite a source, now I'm asking you.

Domergurl is wrong. The BMV branch is still issuing plates. They are just using a central repository for the items and mailing them to your home. I have been ordering my plates and renewal stickers on-line for a few years now (they used to give a $5.00 per vehicle discount, can't recall if they are still doing that) and there is never an issue. Before using the on-line system, I used the mail in system, again, no issues.

If one can't send in a mailing with a check, or use a computer, they can still go to their branch and take care of things. You will get a receipt that you just keep in your car until the plate or sticker arrives.

Oh, the horror!!!

Whatever source DG used to spread disinformation needs to be contacted and told they should issue a correction to the disinformation.

BMV license plate renewal moves out of the local branches :: Local News :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/2999752,new-bmv0104.article - broken link)
spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

you won't get a plate the same day, from the branch. You walk out with a receipt. Dude ... I ruffled you GOOD!!!!

Sucks if you don't have a computer. Sucks if you need your tags right away.

I have a computer, I also don't procrastinate, but I can see how it would impact others, unlike you.

Good thing BMV workers don't work for tips.

Oh Plaidmom, you aren't far off. If MD has his way, before he leaves office, he'll have you being able to take the written test at home and print off your driver's license on your home pc. Oh wait, you'd have to have a computer.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,444,117 times
Quote:
Boo hoo.

Guess what, God is on all your money too "in God (capital "G") we trust".
Every member of the military swears "so help me GOD" to defend YOU and this country.
All our elected officials take the same oath. (probably allot more lightly though)
In the courts you swear to GOD that your testimony is the truth.
God is all over the Constitution the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence, with phrases like "in the year of our Lord" (capital "L") and "the Supreme Judge" and "the Protection of the divine Providence" all references to GOD, etc etc.

You live in the wrong country if you have a problem with "God" because like God, it's everywhere in America.

Get the Plain Blue Plate for free if the other one gives you a twist. And if you have an issue with your "In God We Trust" CASH....donate it all to charity.
Lol! Actually the U.S does not have an official religion or God. God can be many things but I don't think it's a white republican from the heartland.

As far as these plates go, it used to stir me up but I let it go, not worth my time. Life is unfair, yes, and these plates are a perfect example of a state using the word god once again to create division between people.

The money thing is a lose lose situation as We The People had no choice in "In God We Trust" being stamped on the bill. Our government made that decision.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 AM

Forget it..continue on with the disinformation on an important topic...done with the childish direction this thread is taking.

Quote:
spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Dude ... I ruffled you GOOD!!!!

Good thing BMV workers don't work for tips.

Last edited by Ravekid; 01-04-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana