U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 PM

404 posts, read 436,577 times

Advertisements

I thought Indiana people liked Purdue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,178,047 times
I have no proof of this, but my Mom (who was an RN and victim of breast cancer and was highly educated) told me that the Cancer Awareness plates were not that great of a thing. She claimed less than half the proceeds actually went to finding a cure for cancer. I suspect some truth in that as the state will capitalize and dip their greedy little fingers into anything they can.
Same probably goes for the rest of the plates. I'd say take the "free" blue plate and donate $40.00 to your charity in check form. That's the only way you can be sure it will go where it's supposed to, as long as the person on that end is not corrupt. Something to think about maybe.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
I thought Indiana people liked Purdue?
They do. At least the cool ones

And bumper stickers that spew political agendas are just as tacky as IGWT license plates IMHO. But then again, acronyms are kinda tacky too IMHO.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 PM

404 posts, read 436,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
They do. At least the cool ones

And bumper stickers that spew political agendas are just as tacky as IGWT license plates IMHO. But then again, acronyms are kinda tacky too IMHO.
Yea that's what I thought I thought the cool Hoosiers like Purdue.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 PM

5,697 posts, read 15,246,788 times
I have to admit when I first moved here the god plates disturbed me. Coming from a more liberal area I felt the red choke hold immediately upon my arrival. When I made the first trip to the BMV I was told the plain blue plates were gone. I paid extra to have the art plate (IAC). When I registered my second car they had the plain blue plates in stock (wheew). Just the other day I got a postcard from IAC stating my purchase helped Batesville Middle School host an art organization so if it's true, wonderful. If not, well just glad I don't have god on my tail.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,126,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
you buy a bumper sticker in a store ... the state handing out religious license plates ... hmmm hey Rave, I'd think you'd be against that like white on rice. Separation of church and state much?
The state gives student loans for other people's kids to attend religious universities. Separation of church and state isn't 100% in this country. There are many, many examples of this. The only issue I would have is if the state didn't allow an "In Satan We Trust" or "In Lucifer We Trust" plate. The God plate covers Christers, Jewish people, and Muslims, but there are other religious types out there who deserve their own fee-free plate, but they are going to have to be the ones to fight that fight, because I really don't care.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,578,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
The state gives student loans for other people's kids to attend religious universities. Separation of church and state isn't 100% in this country. There are many, many examples of this. The only issue I would have is if the state didn't allow an "In Satan We Trust" or "In Lucifer We Trust" plate. The God plate covers Christers, Jewish people, and Muslims, but there are other religious types out there who deserve their own fee-free plate, but they are going to have to be the ones to fight that fight, because I really don't care.
it's a loan ... gotta be paid back. I did. Wow Rave, I would have thought your strawman arguments would have gotten better with a new screen name.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,126,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
it's a loan ... gotta be paid back. I did. Wow Rave, I would have thought your strawman arguments would have gotten better with a new screen name.
It doesn't have to be paid back. If you don't work, or work under the table for cash, nothing happens...oh wait, taxpayers eat it. Also, why should the money of other taxpayers go to subsidized someone's loans so they can attend a religious university? Your response is typical of "me, myself, and I" thinking. So long as you benefit, you don't want true, 100% separation of church and state. If someone really wants true separation of church and state, they can get their own loans from private lenders to attend religious higher education institutions.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM

8,145 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be paid back. If you don't work, or work under the table for cash, nothing happens...oh wait, taxpayers eat it. Also, why should the money of other taxpayers go to subsidized someone's loans so they can attend a religious university?
Student loans do not even go away in a bankruptcy unless you are paralyzed or terminal.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,347,451 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be paid back.
Already addressed -- cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. The government can chase you forever. And the vast majority of us work in the open economy, so it's not like it can be avoided.

Quote:
Your response is typical of "me, myself, and I" thinking. So long as you benefit.....
Hmmm.....Kinda sounds like your approach to the Indy Connect plan, doesn't it? "No tax unless I get rail, too! Waaaaaah!!"

Otherwise, I think you raise an interesting point, but I think the distinction is that the education benefits the individual and doesn't help advance a religious agenda. Furthermore, as the Stafford loan program is available to students attending schools affiliated with many denominations, it's not as if the government is sanctioning a particular church.

And BTW - I graduated from a state university, so it's not necessarily to my benefit (although I did graduate with a little more than $3,000 in student loan debt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or