Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 AM

6 posts, read 15,844 times

Advertisements

Hello, we may be relocating from the south to the Columbus area very soon, and I just had a few questions? observations...

I have never been to Columbus. I'm thinking it's a very small town. ie- no night life. Is that right? At least that is what I've 'picked up' from reading these forums the past few days...

I guess what we are looking for is a decent area, (we have kids), near Columbus, that has some night life, or is close to night life/good restaurants, etc...

My husband would be working in Columbus and doesn't want a long commute to work, and like I said, we're not familiar with the area at all. He'll be up there Sunday to talk to a realtor, and I'd like to give him some area's to look at so he's not blind going there, and also, so I have some time to do some research online.

Also: what grocery stores are local? Kroger? Meijers? What about drug stores?

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Where have we mentioned that there's no nightlife in Columbus? I mean, it's not like there are velvet roped clubs here, so if that's what you're looking for ... well, even Indy isn't going to cut it. There are a lot of family oriented activities here ( I guess that's why we were recently the only city in Indiana to be on a top 10 list of best places to raise a family). Our new commons is opening up soon, which will be great. I guess I'm just finding it confusing as to what it is you are looking for. We have concerts of the symphonic, rock and roll and country kind. There are some nice, somewhat fancy restaurants ...

We moved here from the burbs of Indianapolis 4 years ago after being in Chicago. I like Columbus 100 times better than I liked living in Fishers, sorry, Fishers. Our main motivation at that time was commute, which went from an hour to 15 minutes. That has been a real family saver! It's just that much nicer that Columbus has been great for our family along with the commute.

The local grocery chains are Marsh, Kroger and Wal-Mart. All have pharmacies, but we also have Walgreens, CVS and an indie drug store here and there. I can get to a Meijer and SuperTarget in 25 minutes. Columbus has a Target, but not of the Super variety. A Best Buy opened around thanksgiving, which makes my hubby and a lot of hubbies in town a lot happier.

I think a lot of people are under the impression that Columbus is some kind of backwater po-dunk ... well, maybe to some it is, but I like the non-suburban vibe.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the response. Maybe I worded my question the wrong way...We really don't want to be stuck in a backwater area...and we aren't looking for velvet roped clubs either so somewhere between.

My husband has been to columbus straight out of college years ago, and at the time (mid 90s), there was nothing there. So he's convinced it's still the same...

I want a few grocery stores that are not more than 10 minutes away, drugstores, coffee shop? resturants, a gym....

Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Oh my ... it's CHANGED. I have good friends who have lived here since 1992 and they are amazed at how much more stuff is here. They remember when high livin' was having dinner at the red lobster. It's different now. The Red Lobster is still here though, if that floats your boat.

All that stuff you listed? We have them.

You may want to check out Greenwood too ... it will give you something to compare Columbus to. The commute will be a little over 30 minutes.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,310 times
Columbus is the best place to live in all of the Midwest. Close to Indy, yet far enough not to have to put up with the big city nonsense. Bad traffic may make your commute time double from 5 minutes to 10!

The Irwin-Miller family (founders of Cummins) have provided the community with a lifestyle that is truly remarkable. There is no other place I'd more like to live.

Great schools, churches, restaraunts, people trails, parks, activities.

You'll love living in Columbus.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM

We are originally from the Detroit area, relocated to Daytona Beach, and now hopefully(?)moving back to the midwest if this job offer goes through.

Honestly, COlumbus sounds really nice. I'll just have to see it and get a feel for it.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM

The only bad thing I'm seeing right now is no rental homes

Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM

There are plenty of rental homes ... it's hard to find one online.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,795 times
Here's the link to a rental company in Columbus. This is the one we're keeping our eye on since they list some {not all} of their rentals on line http:// jolirentals.com/5301.html. If there's nothing there that matches your needs, call them. They usually know what else is out there even if they don't hold the listing themselves. {DG I can broken-link them since I don't work there or get a commission right? If I"m misunderstanding the UA lmk pls?

Check the real estate rentals section of the paper online at The Republic - Columbus, Indiana

As for nightlife for adults- there is something of a bar crawl-able section on the western end of downtown. There was a very rousing crowd outside the Garage Pub last time we were down that way. I've heard good things about the atmosphere and appetizers at the 4th Street Bar & Grill as well. If you're into fine dining check out Smith's Row. Their Teriyaki Chicken is to die for and my husband loved the steak diane.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrl01 View Post
Thanks for the response. Maybe I worded my question the wrong way...We really don't want to be stuck in a backwater area...and we aren't looking for velvet roped clubs either so somewhere between.

My husband has been to columbus straight out of college years ago, and at the time (mid 90s), there was nothing there. So he's convinced it's still the same...

I want a few grocery stores that are not more than 10 minutes away, drugstores, coffee shop? resturants, a gym....
Besides the chains Domergurl mentioned, we have an Aldi, a decent Asian market(tons of great imports!), and two year-round farm-stand/CSA type places (Double Oak Farms and the one out on 46???) now. We also have a "health food" store ("Healthy Choices") and the movement is underway to create a community CO-OP ala "Bloomingfoods" Columbus Cooperative Grocery and Market :: Home. May-Sept we have a vibrant Farmers Market downtown on Saturday mornings.

As far as eating, Bistro 310 offers upscale dining, and it's sandwiched between two "new" bars: The Columbus Bar AKA Powerhouse Brewing (microbrewery) and The Garage (more "sportsbar"). It's not exactly "hopping" but the downtown will get you by. You can also catch a movie at the local Indie flick/discount theater: Yes Cinema.

Your hubby may also be surprised to find that we now have a decent Indian buffet; Passage to India (you should be able to find reviews of these on Urban Spoon). For family pizza night check out Zwanzigz and top it off with a trip to the newly refurbished Zaharako's Ice Cream. Your husband will truly be amazed with the changes there!

We have a Starbucks, and a new bakery/coffee shop just opened downtown.

Tipton Lakes Athletic Club and Total Fitness still seem to be the "big" gyms in town. There is also Studio Fit by Nancy downtown and a yoga studio opened last year on 16th street.

Another thing to remember: your husband's wants/needs/ and perceptions as a young, single (?) just-out-of-college person were probably much much different than what you as a couple and a young family will be looking for.

I agree, Columbus pretty much still sucks (sorry Domergurl!) for the young, the childless, and the single. But for married young families? It's pretty awesome.

You can make quick trips (~45 min) over to Bloomington or up to Indy when you need nightclub or foodie fixes.

Also, when you DO have a weekend sitter, and you need a big-city vibe, we are not-so-far from Louisville, Cincinnati, and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana