Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM

11 posts, read 47,309 times

Advertisements

One thing that has surprised me about this area is the amount of crime...... I expect some crime, but I came from an area with a much higher population and did not see the amount and frequency of crime like I have seen here. It is not even isolated in a particular area.... it seems to be spread out all over the area.

I have only been here for a few months and the number of home invasions in the South Bend area is really disturbing.

Don't neighborhoods have "neighborhood watch" so they can look out for each other. The local law enforcement agencies need to get a handle on this; it already seems to be out of control. What are the gun control laws here? Can people have guns in their homes to protect themselves? Not that I like the solution of having a gun, but what can you do if your law enforcement is not able to protect you?

If you are not safe in your home, where are you safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
I live in South Bend in the city. I have never had any problems. As much as I hate my circumstance of being stuck in the midwest til I can get back out west, I must admit this area is pretty safe despite what you see on TV. Home invasions can happen anywhere, even in the sticks (watch the movie The Strangers, based on true events). lol.

It's not that bad as far as crime goes. Now weather, that's the real danger of living here.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I live in South Bend in the city. I have never had any problems. As much as I hate my circumstance of being stuck in the midwest til I can get back out west, I must admit this area is pretty safe despite what you see on TV. Home invasions can happen anywhere, even in the sticks (watch the movie The Strangers, based on true events). lol.

It's not that bad as far as crime goes. Now weather, that's the real danger of living here.

The weather is definitely an issue

You have to keep an objective opinion about things.... the media is not always right. I am trying to get use to things and become familiar with the area, so I guess I am still a little cautious.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:

How long have you lived in the midwest?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
Well, if you were to rate cities of South Bend's size and compare crime, South Bend generally would be on the higher side. Not that it is extremely dangerous, but there are some bad spots (West to be more specific). As far as spread out crime, I do know what you are talking about. The city of South Bend, while some areas more than others, does experience a fair amount of crime on each side of the city. One thing to notice about the area is that one neighborhood will be fine while the neighborhood next door will be littered with crime. That is just the way the city has been designed and evolutionized throughout the history. Poverty also plays a role, as South Bend, while not a poor city, does not exactly have the best economy. I do believe better days are ahead of South Bend, but do remember that all cities will have crime, South Bend just has a little more. If you do not feel comfortable, relocate to a safer place.

Contrary to belief, there are many generally safe neighborhoods in South Bend.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab5456 View Post
How long have you lived in the midwest?
Most of my life, with the exception of some time i spent in Southern California. Just awaiting my job transfer to go back there.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab5456 View Post
One thing that has surprised me about this area is the amount of crime...... I expect some crime, but I came from an area with a much higher population and did not see the amount and frequency of crime like I have seen here. It is not even isolated in a particular area.... it seems to be spread out all over the area.

I have only been here for a few months and the number of home invasions in the South Bend area is really disturbing.

Don't neighborhoods have "neighborhood watch" so they can look out for each other. The local law enforcement agencies need to get a handle on this; it already seems to be out of control. What are the gun control laws here? Can people have guns in their homes to protect themselves? Not that I like the solution of having a gun, but what can you do if your law enforcement is not able to protect you?

If you are not safe in your home, where are you safe?
You are not alone. The crime really surprised me as well. I have been here a little over 2 yrs now. The crime at times seem quite brazen especially the home invasions. For a low populace the crime really shouldn't be that high. As far as owning a gun, I know more of gun owners here than I did when I lived in the Detroit area. IMO, it doesn't stop or deter crime.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
Crime is fairly well correlated with demographics. Neighborhoods with lots of low-income, idle young men (mostly raised without fathers in the home) are going to have more crime, especially drug-related incidents. Nicer neighborhoods adjacent to these areas will experience a certain amount of spillover crime. And then there are the student neighborhoods near campus -- these houses and apartments are tempting targets for criminals who know that doors are often left unlocked.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Crime is fairly well correlated with demographics. Neighborhoods with lots of low-income, idle young men (mostly raised without fathers in the home) are going to have more crime, especially drug-related incidents. Nicer neighborhoods adjacent to these areas will experience a certain amount of spillover crime. And then there are the student neighborhoods near campus -- these houses and apartments are tempting targets for criminals who know that doors are often left unlocked.
I get ya, but that's not always true. I was raised in a not so good area by a single Mom and I have never been in trouble in my 34 years, never mugged anyone or done or sold drugs. That's kind of a stereotype as many of the colleges with a campus are where drugs are found as well.
People think moving to a "good" area is going to save them, but it can be quite the opposite.
I also think many of these robberies and thefts on the rise are due to there being not many jobs and people's unemployment benefits are expiring. Despite what people who have jobs think, there are no jobs here. I'm lucky to be employed full time but I know many who are not and they have more than acceptable resumes. No jobs=more crime, period.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I get ya, but that's not always true. I was raised in a not so good area by a single Mom and I have never been in trouble in my 34 years, never mugged anyone or done or sold drugs. That's kind of a stereotype as many of the colleges with a campus are where drugs are found as well.
People think moving to a "good" area is going to save them, but it can be quite the opposite.

I also think many of these robberies and thefts on the rise are due to there being not many jobs and people's unemployment benefits are expiring. Despite what people who have jobs think, there are no jobs here. I'm lucky to be employed full time but I know many who are not and they have more than acceptable resumes. No jobs=more crime, period.

It does "appear" that crime is on the rise due to unemployment, etc.... but you have to ask yourself "what makes some people commit these crimes" during economic struggles and other do not, even though they are struggling as well? Until recently, I was unemployed for over two years, never once would I think to commit a crime because of my situation. The people that do these things, must already have it in them to behave this way. We can blame it on the economy all we want... but you are either a good person or you are not. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana