U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM

36 posts, read 50,612 times

Advertisements

Uh, I live in Northern Ca and I can assure you I am not rude. Actually, we live on the Central coast (Monterey Bay). But, definitely more north than south. I'm close to Capitola. I think there are going to be rude people where ever you go. Fortunately, I haven't had the experiences that you're speaking of. But then we don't live in the busy Bay area. My husband drives 2 miles to get to work. He's a h.s. teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdol View Post
I agree people in northern ca are rude also. I cannot wait to leave here. Groceries are way to high and the gas!!We want a better life not one like lab rats ..I am tired of nosey neighbors we want the country life like we had before...no more crazies running through the neighborhood and stealing our car or stealing my purse out of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,544,948 times
Mmmmmm Moving to Indiana from California?

You're probably not going to like it...

The winters are cold and there can be considerable snow sometimes and icy roads. In the summer it is very hot and very humid....sticky muggy....Farmers spay their fields, crop dust so if "spraying" makes you nervous you'll be unhappy....There are still some "smoke-stack" industries here...so if that makes you nervous...you'll be unhappy.....
Lots of people here go bowing or to football games and hang out in "taverns"....If you're looking for a "hip" trendy or hyper-intellectual place to be California is hard to beat....
Indiana is definitely a "red" state and largely conservative....Lots of people own "guns" and hunt here....and it's widely considered perfectly normal to do either of those things.....and rightly so....
People in Indiana tend to be more religious. Jobs are tight in Indiana....

California weather is MUCH better than the weather in ANY part of Indiana...keep that in mind. Honestly if you don't mind wet....seriously consider Seattle....

Just 2 cents worth...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,462,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
If you're looking for a "hip" trendy or hyper-intellectual place to be California is hard to beat.....
You mean places like Fresno and Modesto?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:53 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,851,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You mean places like Fresno and Modesto?
and Bakersfield ...

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 41,895 times
LOL...this last post or two made me laugh because some of the most backwards people I know come from rural CA (and Chico). People assume CA is 100% progressive......but it isn't.
I was born and raised in SO. CA and have lived all over since I left at 31 years old....NE Indiana is a happy medium compared to other places. Northern Indiana has milder weather than most of the country: we have hot and humid summer stretches, but it's not like that all summer like when you get down south and not every summer - I've been here 10 years and 2 of those summers it only made it over 90 degrees a couple times....amazing. Some summers have bad mosquitos, some don't. We get snow but not measured in FEET like other parts of the country and while we do get to 0 and even subzero...it's only for a few days, unlike some states that hover at zero and below for weeks at a time. We don't have earthquakes, hurricaines, drout or hellacious tornadoes (where I'm at in NE IN we don't even have flooding). I've evacuated from fires in the foothills of CA many times growing up, from hurricaines on the gulf coast and been through a couple severe earthquakes in my lifetime....I prefer shoveling a little snow and enjoying the seasons rather than the brown-ness, sameness and dustiness of CA. I miss cultural diversity, but I appreciate it more when I get to travel a bit now. I enjoy life in general, more than I did when I was always sitting in traffic and rushing from one strip mall to the next, barely making a living on the same amount here that allows us many more comforts. People really appreciate nice weather here and it's always funny to see people wearing shorts as soon as it hits 50 degrees...and I love the way people celebrate spring up here - gardens are beautiful and often taken very seriously because they aren't there all year long like out west (where they look the same year round).

I wouldn't go back to CA for a million dollars. It's taken me a long time to get to this point but when I went back to CA last spring I'd totally forgotten how hardly anyone speaks English (it can be frustrating), everything has graffitti on it, everything has a layer of dust from lack of rain, everything has the same generic architectural style (now....red tile roofs as far as the eye can see in some places)....and the TRAFFIC. oh, and the SMOG (gah!). Shopping there last spring was horrible....people are mostly foriegn and generally in their own little worlds and you feel all alone with millions of rushed and disengaged strangers around you. Even going through the drive thru takes patience because it's highly unlikely that the person taking your order actually speaks English...again, it's frustrating.

Nope, it's slower here....but I wouldn't go back. Not to mention if we sold our few hundred acres here, we'd probably still barely be able to get a condo there. No thanks.

~Loblolly2 (I once was Loblolly, then loblolly1...my info keeps getting gobbled up in cyberspace).

Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,466,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loblolly2 View Post
LOL...this last post or two made me laugh.... People assume CA is 100% progressive......but it isn't.
I was born and raised in SO. CA
Me too! I laughed at the posts above also, but my first thought was....Orange County!!! Trendy? Yes. Hip? Nope. Progressive and intellectual ??? Bahahaha.

If I want progressive, hip and intellectual, I'll suck it up, and live in a closet on the east coast.

If I ever move back to CA it will be a tiny little cabin in the woods in the northern part of the state. I'll avoid people at all costs.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:39 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,233,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Mmmmmm Moving to Indiana from California?

You're probably not going to like it...

The winters are cold and there can be considerable snow sometimes and icy roads. In the summer it is very hot and very humid....sticky muggy....Farmers spay their fields, crop dust so if "spraying" makes you nervous you'll be unhappy....There are still some "smoke-stack" industries here...so if that makes you nervous...you'll be unhappy.....
Lots of people here go bowing or to football games and hang out in "taverns"....If you're looking for a "hip" trendy or hyper-intellectual place to be California is hard to beat....
Indiana is definitely a "red" state and largely conservative....Lots of people own "guns" and hunt here....and it's widely considered perfectly normal to do either of those things.....and rightly so....
People in Indiana tend to be more religious. Jobs are tight in Indiana....

California weather is MUCH better than the weather in ANY part of Indiana...keep that in mind. Honestly if you don't mind wet....seriously consider Seattle....

Just 2 cents worth...
Your 2 cents is right on Agreed 100% but you forgot the evil Mosquitos that ruin the few nice nights we may have. Stay in CA

Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 AM

7 posts, read 16,052 times
I grew up in Indiana and spent the first 27 years of my life there and then had to go back for 2 years but returned to CA. Lived North and South Indiana.

I have been fortunate to live in nice places in CA. - San Diego my first stop, then Napa, Santa Rosa, Redding (awful place) and Chico.

I know there is much crime in the NW and Indianapolis. Indianapolis has to be one of the ugliest places in the world.

The only city I would live in and raise a family would be Bloomington. It has culture, educated folks that think, you can find Liberal and Conservative there and the countryside looks nice.

You are going to be in a shock more then taxes moving to Indiana, cultural and weather... good luck

Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 PM

619 posts, read 1,443,742 times
Indianapolis is one of the ugliest places in the world??? Huh...

Apparently, you haven't been to Detroit, Flint, Gary, Toledo, Cleveland, Baltimore...need I go on. Granted, they don't have scenic aspects such as ocean or mountains, but let's be realistic now.

Also, a lot of southern cities in Alabama and Mississippi, and even Texas aren't the greatest to look at.

What did you mean by ugliest anyway?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,851,784 times
Yea, Indianapolis may be a lot of things, but I'd hardly say it's ugly, much less, the ugliest place in the world ... methinks there are some deep seeded feelings there that came out via the fingertips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or