U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,344 times

Advertisements

The KKK was founded in Pulaski, Tennessee in 1865, not Indiana. Just a quick history lesson.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM

52 posts, read 137,675 times
Default California

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSteph View Post
My cousin moved to Plainfield, IN from Southern Cali about 9 years ago. My aunt, who also lived in So. Cal, moved to Avon, IN about 6 years ago because she loved it there so much. My parents and siblings moved to Avon about 3 years ago and my husband and I are moving there Oct. 1st. We have been to many different places in the US: Florida, Kentucky, Ohio, Nevada, Seattle. We are so excited about the change of pace from So Cal. We have lived in the Orange County/Inland Empire part of California our whole lives (we are now 26) and welcome the change. There is NO traffic like the traffic here. People are rude. They can't drive and don't care. They are inconsiderate. They don't care whether they can speak English or not and now it has become OUR fault if we can't understand them. The housing prices are OUTRAGEOUS! We pay $1700 a month for a one bedroom apartment. We are newly married with no children and our desire is to make the move to a slower paces environment before we do so. In Indiana we can buy a house, finish college, and have a lot less stress than we have here. If anyone says to stay in California because the price of living is worth it, then they are a minority. My family that currently lives in Indiana have never once regretted making the move. The embrace everything that comes with living in Indiana. My parents live in Avon, IN down the street from Avon High School (one of the best in the state) and paid $175,000 for a 3,000 sq. ft. home on about half an acre in a very nice neighborhood. I would not say that Avon is pricey. They have great schools and lots of shopping without the traffic of Carmel. Carmel is also very nice, but much more expensive. Those of us from California jokingly refer to Carmel as "the Orange County" of Indiana. Anyone who has lived in So Cal knows what I mean.
I LOVE southern California. You couldn't pay me enough money to move to Indiana.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 PM

Default Jakehorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Black cloud alert...Dont read my opinions if you like Indiana... Just a warning...

There is nothing "beautiful" about snow in my unpopular opinion. Slipping and sliding and wet shoes are not my idea of fun. Getting stuck and being late for work and getting a write up is not a day in the park either. Wearing layer upon layer to keep from dying is also not my idea of fun or beauty. It's like looking and a Coral snake, it looks pretty but it can kill you just the same.

There are so many varied opinions on snow and bad weather. Some people actually enjoy the change of seasons. Others, like me, despise it and do something about it...like moving.
Nobody likes to be depressed, but cabin fever does not discriminate. If your moving to Indiana (Northern IN is all I can speak for) be prepared for very unreliable weather patterns. For example at the last minute we had to have our wedding indoors because unpredicted showers showed up and drenched our ceremony, hence another brick in my already bitter wall of Hoosier hate. Some have a much easier time dealing with the weather and that is awesome, it's a quality I wish I had. But unfortunatly I don't, so just a warning, your coming from Cali to the midwest. On top of cultural differences you will have to be prepared to alter every aspect of your life to cater to mother nature. Fun!

Oh, and if you own a convertible, sell it now, you wont need it here.
Very well stated. Love every minute of California livin!
Linda

Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Default Living anywhere and being happy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by regionrat1 View Post
I second that notion !
I totally, completely disagree. I have lived in places where I was unhappy and found a way to leave. Am completely happy where I live now.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,296,454 times
From California to Indiana?

Sounds like a step up to me!! But, then again, were it not for Muir Woods, I wouldn't complain if California slipped off into the Pacific. Ya gotta wonder about folks who build on the side of hills that are well known for land slides.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,722,780 times
California weather is hard to beat!

No cold winters! Snow only if you want to go ski!

And the BEACH? NICE!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,684 times
I love it in Jackson County Indiana! My wife and I moved here back in 1993 from Alexandria Virginia - close enough to touch the capital beltway. We left sky-high rents, ugly commutes, awful prices in the grocery stores, and a nice condo community with a gun-point holdup less than 500 yards away. My wife got a job in Seymour and it was truly a gift from God that we were able to get here!
People are kind, friendly, and polite most of the time. We have good schools and kids that stay in them. We have a great hospital that is not more than 20 minutes away from even the farthest point in the county. I-65 is near our eastern border and after driving 60 minutes you can be in Indianapolis or Louisville for all the "big city" stuff you think you need.
In Seymour we have "rush minute" - nothing at all like a typical "rush hour" of other cities. Our biggest traffic annoyance - when you get to the 4-way stop and you and the guy on the other side are waving for the other to go ahead!! I've NEVER seen anyone flash a finger at anyone and horns are very very rare! We have a few good restaurants and a theatre, a Home Depot and several small and very helpful hardware stores. We have many small curio/homespun stores. We have everything we want and nothing we don't want. If we want anything else, we journey the 60 minutes or shop online.
This is a beautiful place to live. It's a good place for work too and our low unemployment rate is the envy of the state.
So ....MICHAL... I'm sad that you detest living here and that you don't have time to explain. Maybe you need to go back to "rush-rush-rush" California. I'd rather relax and enjoy this great place I live, Brownstown, Indiana - well actually inbetween Seymour and Brownstown off of Hwy 50.
I'd be happy to go point for point against anyone who thinks Seymour-Brownstown-Jackson County is a bad place to live; because I believe it's about the best place in my life I've ever lived!! I grew up as a Navy brat; my dad was 27yr career Navy man and believe me; I've lived in many places from Norfolk VA to Ewa Beach Hawaii and points inbetween. Jackson County tops them all!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,684 times
Default CA to IN - heck yeah!

I love it in Jackson County Indiana! My wife and I moved here back in 1993 from Alexandria Virginia - close enough to touch the capital beltway. We left sky-high rents, ugly commutes, awful prices in the grocery stores, and a nice condo community with a gun-point holdup less than 500 yards away. My wife got a job in Seymour and it was truly a gift from God that we were able to get here!
People are kind, friendly, and polite most of the time. We have good schools and kids that stay in them. We have a great hospital that is not more than 20 minutes away from even the farthest point in the county. I-65 is near our eastern border and after driving 60 minutes you can be in Indianapolis or Louisville for all the "big city" stuff you think you need.
In Seymour we have "rush minute" - nothing at all like a typical "rush hour" of other cities. Our biggest traffic annoyance - when you get to the 4-way stop and you and the guy on the other side are waving for the other to go ahead!! I've NEVER seen anyone flash a finger at anyone and horns are very very rare! We have a few good restaurants and a theatre, a Home Depot and several small and very helpful hardware stores. We have many small curio/homespun stores. We have everything we want and nothing we don't want. If we want anything else, we journey the 60 minutes or shop online.
This is a beautiful place to live. It's a good place for work too and our low unemployment rate is the envy of the state.
So ....MICHAL... I'm sad that you detest living here and that you don't have time to explain. Maybe you need to go back to "rush-rush-rush" California. I'd rather relax and enjoy this great place I live, Brownstown, Indiana - well actually inbetween Seymour and Brownstown off of Hwy 50.
I'd be happy to go point for point against anyone who thinks Seymour-Brownstown-Jackson County is a bad place to live; because I believe it's about the best place in my life I've ever lived!! I grew up as a Navy brat; my dad was 27yr career Navy man and believe me; I've lived in many places from Norfolk VA to Ewa Beach Hawaii and points inbetween. Jackson County tops them all!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
I moved to Indiana almost 10 years ago. Nearly 80% of the people that I have met in that span are highly illiterate. Most of the ones that can read and write do so on a 3rd grade level. The people are as rude as can possibly be, mostly due to generations of ignorant white trash raising other generations of ignorant white trash.
The wages are pitiful, especially in the medical community. Our ER's are being constantly filled with meth and heroin addicts seeking whatever pain meds they can get their hands on, and guess who foots the bill. The tax payers, which in the county I live in makes up about 35% of the population.
The good news is that if you are a worthless, lazy, and dirty idiot who is able to work but refuses to do so because it's easier to live off of the state and government, bring your dirty butt to the Hoosier State. We hand out food stamps and government checks to able bodied morons, because that apparently personifies "Hoosier Values."

Old 07-18-2014, 01:44 PM

4,919 posts, read 5,853,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedout View Post
I moved to Indiana almost 10 years ago. Nearly 80% of the people that I have met in that span are highly illiterate. Most of the ones that can read and write do so on a 3rd grade level. The people are as rude as can possibly be, mostly due to generations of ignorant white trash raising other generations of ignorant white trash.
The wages are pitiful, especially in the medical community. Our ER's are being constantly filled with meth and heroin addicts seeking whatever pain meds they can get their hands on, and guess who foots the bill. The tax payers, which in the county I live in makes up about 35% of the population.
The good news is that if you are a worthless, lazy, and dirty idiot who is able to work but refuses to do so because it's easier to live off of the state and government, bring your dirty butt to the Hoosier State. We hand out food stamps and government checks to able bodied morons, because that apparently personifies "Hoosier Values."
Yep, you just totally described every part of Indiana and every single person that lives here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana