Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 15,219 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering taking a job at Ball State and finishing his masters/doctorate. I work from home, so where isn't an issue but we have 3 daughters. My youngest will be in 7th grade next year and comes from an entirely catholic school backround thus far and is very involved in sports, especially cross country, basketball and volleyball, also loves speech and drama and my middle daughter will be a sophmore and goes to a mid size public high school of about 2000 kids. She plays in band, is very involved in theater and speech team. The oldest is off to college in NYC, so she's not a factor in the move process. Both girls are high achievers but only my sophmore would qualify for anything gifted.

We're looking to rent to start out, we're coming from Kankakee, IL about 50 miles south of Chicago. Good schools are really important to us as is a safe community to live in. I've read the other threads similar to this but there is nothing really within the past year. We're hoping to find a house/apt to rent in the $700-$800 range, as my husband is taking a pay cut to go back to school.
We're looking for a great community and a good church as well! My husband plays trumpet and really likes a church with a good worship/praise band too.

We have a couple of months to figure everything else but would rather hear from real people instead of checking "School report cards" only. I have read many stories about not moving to Muncie itself with school age kids. Is this true? My brother in law mentioned Muncie South wasn't TOO bad, but I'd hate to settle for not too bad!

Thanks!
Kellie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Why not look into the Burris Laboratory school on BSU's campus. It's one of the best schools in the state. They also have one of the best volleyball programs in the country ... I'm not kidding.

Last edited by domergurl; 01-20-2011 at 05:25 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 PM

We are checking into Burris but have been told its nearly impossible to get accepted, one of my girls would probably get in, my other may not. Just trying to cover the bases and figure out the best community. We're going to go visit all the schools within an hour radius of BSU and the neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Get them on the list ... NOW. You never know what will happen.

Yorktown has good public schools, which is close to Muncie. Other than that, you may want to check into Fishers (Hamilton Southeastern Schools) and Noblesville. Try to live as close to the I-69 as possible.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks so much. We'll call on Monday and get them both on the list. Mark knows the assistant band director at Noblesville, so we're checking into that as well. It would be ideal if they could get into Burris and could choose any burb to live in.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 AM

202 posts, read 763,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Why not look into the Burris Laboratory school on BSU's campus. It's one of the best schools in the state.
Not that this will apply, but don't they also have one of the highest suicide rates out of any school in the country for the grade level it provides?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
Not that this will apply, but don't they also have one of the highest suicide rates out of any school in the country for the grade level it provides?
would love for you to back that up please.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
would love for you to back that up please.
I have nothing to back it up, I was hoping someone had heard something else about it, I only have heard anecdotes. The first thing I have heard people say when Burris is mentioned is something to the effect of the high suicide rate. Of course, I've heard many rumors about a lot of different Indiana places, that's why I come on here looking for confirmation or proof of misinformation.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Pendleton Heights, Fishers, and Noblesville are possible locations. In order of "good" schools, I would likely rank them Fishers, Noblesville, and Pendleton. Just live close to an I-69 ramp and the drive won't be too bad. With any school, so long as it isn't an "inner city" school, or one with a high % of kids from welfare homes, the education won't be too bad. The fact is, so long as your kid can bring home good grades and understand the concepts of basic high school math and science, they likely will do just fine. There were plenty of kids in my high school that went on to do very well in life. This was before my high school had newer stuff, a swimming pool, a second gym, etc..

Education is mostly a parent-child thing, and so long as you get a decent middle to upper class school, with minimal lower income kids, your kids education will be fine.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Pendleton Heights, Fishers, and Noblesville are possible locations. In order of "good" schools, I would likely rank them Fishers, Noblesville, and Pendleton. Just live close to an I-69 ramp and the drive won't be too bad. With any school, so long as it isn't an "inner city" school, or one with a high % of kids from welfare homes, the education won't be too bad. The fact is, so long as your kid can bring home good grades and understand the concepts of basic high school math and science, they likely will do just fine. There were plenty of kids in my high school that went on to do very well in life. This was before my high school had newer stuff, a swimming pool, a second gym, etc..

Education is mostly a parent-child thing, and so long as you get a decent middle to upper class school, with minimal lower income kids, your kids education will be fine.
wow, that is the most disgusting thing I've read on here in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana