Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM

382 posts, read 1,048,974 times

Advertisements

This quite possibly could be the worst top-10 list I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:56 PM

363 posts, read 1,039,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Well, considering I am from Elkhart and have plenty of family in the RV industry, I can tell you I have some proof to what I am saying. Elkhart County is definitely still the RV Capital of the World, just not to the extent that it was. Which companies moved to Mexico in the RV industry?
None to my knowledge. I delivered rv's all over the USA and Canada.

Quote:
But I guarantee you this summer you will begin to hear of more RV companies ramping up production because of the demand in the summer and fall months. Many people do not think the economy is getting better, but the RV industry posted a 46% increase this year compared to last, so there obviously is some demand there.
Yep, FEMA needs a bunch of new ones. There were too many small builders and consolidation works out well in the end.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:05 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
South Bend should make the list as one of the most stagnant cities with regard to employment trends over time.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,149,641 times
I'm trying to remember back...wasn't Elkhart once noted as the musicial instrument capital?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,802,149 times
Yes, that is correct. One musical company just recently announced plans to expand in Elkhart. However, the region has shed hundreds of musical instrument manufacturing jobs to other countries, typical of the U.S. economy right now. It is still the RV capital of the world though.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
Default South Bend has struggled for years

Toxic Toast -

I think the article is right on. After spending my entire life in South Bend, I opted to move to Kansas in January. The difference in the economy here is remarkable. They think their economy is bad, but it hasn't had anywhere near the hits that South Bend has had.

Project Future has tried for 25 years or so to get South Bend back on track, but their results have been very meager. It isn't an easy problem. As the population in South Bend ages, it will become a completely different town. Older adults rely on Notre Dame and their churches for their entertainment, and don't have many expectations other than that.

Younger families should and do expect more of a city. South Bend has not been able to attract the things that younger people want and need in a hometown. It is sad!

I think you will continue to see a shift in population to areas where there are more opportunities. South Bend doesn't have them, and doesn't have the means of attracting them.

Farewell to a town that I have loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This is the article associated with the list

[URL="http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/21/america-s-dying-cities.html"]America's Dying Cities - Newsweek[/URL]

This list is based on nothing but population data and has nothing to do with economic conditions. In fact, the article hints that they are assuming the shifts in population are due to the economy.

I don't know, seems a pretty silly list.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Wichita??? That place gets old pretty fast.
If you want a "better" economy I would recommend JOCO (SW suburbs of Kansas City), Omaha, Minneapolis, or Des Moines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cja2 View Post
Toxic Toast -

I think the article is right on. After spending my entire life in South Bend, I opted to move to Kansas in January. The difference in the economy here is remarkable. They think their economy is bad, but it hasn't had anywhere near the hits that South Bend has had.

Project Future has tried for 25 years or so to get South Bend back on track, but their results have been very meager. It isn't an easy problem. As the population in South Bend ages, it will become a completely different town. Older adults rely on Notre Dame and their churches for their entertainment, and don't have many expectations other than that.

Younger families should and do expect more of a city. South Bend has not been able to attract the things that younger people want and need in a hometown. It is sad!

I think you will continue to see a shift in population to areas where there are more opportunities. South Bend doesn't have them, and doesn't have the means of attracting them.

Farewell to a town that I have loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana