Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times

Advertisements

South Bend has made the top ten list of dying cities according to Newsweek.

South Bend, Indiana - Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/21/america-s-dying-cities/south-bend-indiana.html - broken link)

Being fairly new to the area and moving here for a job in South Bend, what do you experienced residents think the problem is with why South Bend is "dying".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:07 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
I live on the east side of Logan street in Mishawaka, I cross the road I'm in South Bend. I moved over here from Elkhart last year because in Elkhart there are no jobs. I really don't know why they chose SB and not Elkhart as The President has visited Elkhart twice as it was labeled the highest unemployment rate in the country.
Where I am going with this rambling is that you can't believe everything you read. Sure SB is not in the best shape but I don't think it should have made that list as many other cities are worse off.
Compared to Elkhart SB is a step up. More shopping and more culture, colleges etc.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Yea, I'm surprised they didn't list Elkhart instead of South Bend.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
i think there was a minimum population cutoff ~100,000, otherwise elkhart surely would have made it.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
This is the article associated with the list

America's Dying Cities - Newsweek

This list is based on nothing but population data and has nothing to do with economic conditions. In fact, the article hints that they are assuming the shifts in population are due to the economy.

I don't know, seems a pretty silly list.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times
These lists are simply for amusement, mostly. There are some good points and cases for considering South Bend a dying city.

As far as Elkhart being a dying city, this is actually pretty far off. People have to understand that Elkhart County is the RV capital, meaning that if RV's skyrocket again, thousands of jobs will be right back to the places they were lost. Not a safe industry for the entire county, but one that does employ thousands.

Regardless, I definitely do not think South Bend is a qoute, unquote dying city.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
These lists are simply for amusement, mostly. There are some good points and cases for considering South Bend a dying city.

As far as Elkhart being a dying city, this is actually pretty far off. People have to understand that Elkhart County is the RV capital, meaning that if RV's skyrocket again, thousands of jobs will be right back to the places they were lost. Not a safe industry for the entire county, but one that does employ thousands.

Regardless, I definitely do not think South Bend is a qoute, unquote dying city.
When is the last time you been to Elkhart? Do you have any relatives or friends in the RV industry? I have several friends who have moved out of elk due to no RV jobs.
Your betting on something that is NOT going to happen, and Elkhart WAS the RV capital, not anymore as many of the companies have moved to Mexico and even out west to Oregon and Washington. A few have also moved south. It's a dead scene. Elkhart needs to come up with a plan rather than hoping for a big RV comeback that is very very unlikely to happen.

And remember when you see a news article that reads 70 new jobs in Elkhart....because there thousands who who are out of work. 70 is nothing.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
My step brother commutes from Three Rivers, MI to Elkhart for work, because Elkhart is the only place he could find work.

I do not know what he does, but I don't think it has anything to do with RV's.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
just heard that mad anthony's in downtown elkhart is closing, even after the city of elkhart bought the building for $450K, and turned around and sold it to M.A. for $50K.
seems like just yesterday there was a gob of people desperate to get a job there when it opened.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:09 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times
Well, considering I am from Elkhart and have plenty of family in the RV industry, I can tell you I have some proof to what I am saying. Elkhart County is definitely still the RV Capital of the World, just not to the extent that it was. Which companies moved to Mexico in the RV industry? I am interested to know this. And I do realize that Elkhart still has thousands of unemployed, but this summer and even into next year you will the unemployment rate shrink in the county. Gaurantee. It is typical economics.

I agree with you that Elkhart definitely has to diversify its industry, but that is much harder than it sounds. You still have to support the RV companies that are here, because let's face it, they still employ thousands of people. Yes, it is one of the most roller coaster jobs in the world, but when demand is so sporadic, that is the effect that comes along with it.

But I guarantee you this summer you will begin to hear of more RV companies ramping up production because of the demand in the summer and fall months. Many people do not think the economy is getting better, but the RV industry posted a 46% increase this year compared to last, so there obviously is some demand there.

And saying 70 is nothing. Really? Nothing? Those could be 70 families who were going to have to go the homeless shelter, move in with their parents, food stamps, etc.

It pales in comparison, but 70 is better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana