Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM

157 posts, read 569,163 times

Advertisements

We're originally from MI and have been living in Richmond, VA for the last year and half (husband's been here almost 2 yrs). He interviewed for a job in Evansville yesterday. It must've gone well because they asked him if he was interested enough for them to put together an offer!

We miss the midwest greatly and Evansville would put us a lot closer to "home". Any suggestions on good areas to check out or info on areas to avoid? This will probably be a shorter term relocation (6-12 mo) but could last longer. Any info about Evansville would be great! We homeschool our kids and plan to continue doing that, esp since we're not expecting to be there long term, so the school district being top notch isn't a huge priority but good schools typically mean it's a good area. We'd really prefer a bit more rural area with a few acres. The house we're currently renting is 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bath on 10 acres. I don't need 10 but I don't want to be too close to my neighbors either!

Also, any info on where to find a house for rent would be helpful. It MUST be a house as we have four children, 2 dogs, and 4 guinea pigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM

I've come across a town called Newsburgh.. it looks pretty good. Any thought on it? I'd like something suburb-type leaning rural. I don't like Stepford Wives type subdvisions.

I'm having a hard time finding many rental houses listed online. On craigslist, it seems they're to one extreme or another- a 4 bed house for $650 makes me kinda nervous and a $2500 is just too much. I've also checked out the Evansville Courier & Press newspaper's classifieds and there's not a lot there either.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Old Newburgh feels like a small town on the river; the new Newburgh is a sprawling suburb. All in all it is a nice place.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks! I think I'd be happy with either! We're getting ready to counter-offer his company, we really want more relocation costs OR a later start date but so far, so good!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 PM

36 posts, read 101,245 times
Newburgh people are so stuck up

Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I'm open to suggestions!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1050 View Post
Newburgh people are so stuck up

Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 AM

205 posts, read 587,510 times
Newburgh is nice (especially the quaint, historic part near the river) but it may be more crowded than what you descrbe you're looking for. Depends on the particular area, as Toxic said. A lot of "build 'em as fast as we can" developments.

Most of Warrick (the county where Newburgh is located) and Posey Counties would fit your 'suburb-leaning rural' tag. Northern Vanderburgh County would also fit, but that's a "hot" area rght now, and that would make it difficult to find a rental. Truth is, there isn't a wide selection of rental houses. This isn't a transient area, so most people become homeowners. It might be easierst to go through a real estate agent.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM

36 posts, read 101,245 times
the northside of Evansville is nice I prefer up in Earle. If unaware of the area it up by the Hornets Nest north of the airport

Old 01-16-2011, 03:21 PM

erickp- THANK YOU for the more specific info! I really appreciate it!!

I've found the same thing about rentals- there aren't many. The houses for sale are well within our price range but we aren't in a position to purchase and we aren't sure how long we'll be here. That's a HUGE fear of mine- that we won't be able to find a suitable rental!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana