U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Indiana Legalize Marijuana for Medical Purposes?
Yes 74 78.72%
No 20 21.28%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 PM

33 posts, read 59,394 times

Advertisements

It's about time people stop listening to the bullsh*t lies and propaganda fed to us by the government!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM

17 posts, read 42,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Not just for "medical purposes" but ALL purposes (with some regulation)! I'm sorry, but I think it is crazy that marijuana is illegal and alcohol is legal...How many times do we hear of "high driving" incidents that are fatal? Pretty much never. Yet alcohol (which has serious physical and mental impairments) is legal. Kind of backwards to me. I am not saying alcohol should be illegal, but if anything, it should be regulated WAY more than marijuana.
Spot on! +1

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,605,795 times
Yeah, I think that Americans are starting to look at it more rationally, finding that the arguments in favor of legalization are more convincing than the arguments against it. It's becoming increasingly difficult to say "Oh, alcohol and tobacco are okay, but marijuana, no, we're keeping that illegal."

It'll probably be a long time before marijuana even becomes available for medicinal purposes in IN, and who knows what kind of restrictions they'll put on it, but I think it will be a plus for the economy at least, leaving more room in the state budget to focus on more important ventures than putting people away for petty marijuana offenses.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,204,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
In the light of the recent "ultra-conservative" legislation in the state house, the idea of legalizing pot for medicinal purposes seems unrealistic at best. But hearing this quote from one of the state's self-proclaimed most conservative legislators does make me think twice...

"Republican Rep. Tom Knollman of Liberty says he's among the most conservative of state legislators but hopes he can be a law-abiding citizen and use one of God's plants."

What do you all think? Is this gonna go anywhere? Obviously there is not a definitive liberal/conservative divide here, which makes me think it has some merit.

Proposal to study Ind. marijuana laws advances (http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/indiana/article_d00f7003-a208-5881-a0b9-b090b0a4793d.html - broken link)

Gads, it sounds like the state of Indiana is going to "POT."

Those dumb Indiana legislators better wise up and allow you folks to have at least some fun. Smoking pot is not my kind of fun, but what can you do up there in Indiana that's fun?

The climate there is awful. I hate those cold winters. I've been running my air conditioning here in Atlanta for days. Highs have been in the 70s.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 PM

166 posts, read 311,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Smoking pot is not my kind of fun, but what can you do up there in Indiana that's fun?

The climate there is awful. I hate those cold winters. I've been running my air conditioning here in Atlanta for days.

Congratulations for living in a sweatbox with a violent crime rate 4X the national average.

I'm sure every hoosier is packing their bags right now for this paradise you've discovered!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM

355 posts, read 756,023 times
I feel like if it is to be legalized then some certain things need to be included in the language of the legislation. For example I feel the people who should be the first to obtain permits to sell it should be poor/low income people who already sell it. Some even with pot sales being their only conviction. Think about it, to be able to start a whole new tax base of people who we would have never been able to tax before. People who would be able to start big busisness with selling pot probably already have lots of money and already pay taxes for something else. Why not basically obtain a whole next taxable population that had never previously paid any taxes. Also, and this comes from personal experience, but say they do legalize pot, well most of the people selling it will be put out of busisness. Odds are they are going to try and sell something else, this is not good. Honestly most people who sell pot DO NOT have the stomach to sell some of the more hard things. So if they tried they would be eaten alive and create much more violence in the streets. This would have to be a carefully monitored thing but I feel like it could really work if done correctly.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,900,301 times
Quote:
Those dumb Indiana legislators better wise up and allow you folks to have at least some fun. Smoking pot is not my kind of fun, but what can you do up there in Indiana that's fun?

The climate there is awful. I hate those cold winters. I've been running my air conditioning here in Atlanta for days. Highs have been in the 70s.
Oh yeah cause we all want to live in the deep south like you. What a joke! Have fun being the capital of the South with all them great things to do down thur. I mean at least we are within a 3 hour drive to Chicago (a real city). We also don't have to deal with 90 degree weather and 100% humidity every day of the summer. Not to mention all those wonderful homicide ridden streets that you guys get to deal with in the ATL. I'll take Indianapolis and Indiana over Georgia any day.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM

8,152 posts, read 13,327,676 times
Quote:

You want a hero cookie or something?

I never run my air conditioner when temps are in the 70's.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM

8,152 posts, read 13,327,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mess View Post
Gnutella over on the Illinois marijuana poll raised a good point:

Nobody needs it, but nobody needs alcohol or tobacco either. Besides, everybody who wants to use drugs already is, regardless of the law. Legalizing it would not only remove the novelty of smoking it, but it'd also strip all the violent Latin American drug lords of any power they have. Legalize it, control it for quality purposes (that means no lacing), tax the **** out of it, and then use that money to fund for infrastructure projects and other similar endeavors. Imagine that! Useless people providing revenue for useful projects!
I have been suggesting this for years. I demand to be heard!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,529,709 times
In order for the legalization of Marijuana to have any solid basis it needs to be handled in exactly the same way as any other medication. The opening of "private dispensaries" (which are nothing more than quasi-legal head-shops) do nothing more than continue the stereotypes associated with "pot" usage. In order for the population to reap any truly medical benefits (and there are some) from Marijuana THC or what ever the distribution of the product needs to go through a Medical Doctors prescription for a patient, filled at a local licensed pharmacist, not some hippy grease-ball running a store on main-street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or