U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,827,841 times

Advertisements

I thought they closed the Seymour post ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 PM

2,213 posts, read 5,208,327 times
Cultural wasteland? The largest city is Indianapolis. They could have called it "Indiana City", following the lead of those losers in Oklahoma and New York when they named their largest cities. Instead, Hoosiers added the Greek word for city to Indiana to name their capital and largest city. Now if that isn't the mark of a classy state, I don't know what is.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 PM

6 posts, read 22,868 times
I can say one word that makes living in Indian a joy. C O L T S !

Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,228,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURBANK9643 View Post
I hear slams against our state and city all the time. I know Indiana will never have the draw of the coastal states or the appeal of the mountains or beaches which other states are blessed with.
Still when I read things that make me feel like people sped thorugh our state on I-70 or I-90 and judged the quality of our state by the scenery, it seems odd that they would even consider making a comment.
I'd like to know why people are so quick to judge fellow Americans and other states. Am I wrong to think every place has some inherent beauty. And would it not be odd if Indianapolis had the cultural diversity of a city 12 times its size?
Still, when I look around and try to find something about our state which sets it apart from others, it is difficult.
Maybe we are truly "the middle", average Americans with nothing particularly special or unique that defines us, other than our unusual nickname "Hoosiers". Maybe being a cultural wasteland is a harsh description that we can embrace. It certainly sound better than the Rust Belt.
If you think of something that Hoosiers excel in or something that makes this state unique from others, I'd like to hear.
Hoosier state excels in plain-Jane-ness and backyard mechanics. Indiana, and most other midwest states are not known to be cultural melting pots. They ar ethe middle of the country, if you cant afford NY or LA you end up somewhere in between....sometimes it's Indiana. Nothing wrong with that though, but that's how I see it. Nothing fancy, no thrills, not much scenery and lots of unpredictable weather. But some like that and I resepct that, totally. But dont ever think Indiana or any midwest state is going to rival such states as California, Oregon, Washington, or New York. And as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some see beauty here, I see flat boring drab stagnant atmosphere with no nreal entertainment and horrific weather. But that's just me, I'm not up to argue it.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 AM

8,250 posts, read 13,507,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Hoosier state excels in plain-Jane-ness and backyard mechanics. Indiana, and most other midwest states are not known to be cultural melting pots. They ar ethe middle of the country, if you cant afford NY or LA you end up somewhere in between....sometimes it's Indiana. Nothing wrong with that though, but that's how I see it. Nothing fancy, no thrills, not much scenery and lots of unpredictable weather. But some like that and I resepct that, totally. But dont ever think Indiana or any midwest state is going to rival such states as California, Oregon, Washington, or New York. And as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some see beauty here, I see flat boring drab stagnant atmosphere with no nreal entertainment and horrific weather. But that's just me, I'm not up to argue it.
I thought you were moving to California.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,452,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I thought you were moving to California.
Apparently he can't afford to, so the poor soul is stuck here.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,228,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Apparently he can't afford to, so the poor soul is stuck here.
Hahahaha! Actually, my transfer is complete and May is my month 2 years and finally paid off.
I don't "hate" Indiana, your getting me wrong, it's just that it is what it is and there is nothing wrong with what it is, it's just not for me, it's that simple. But thanks for your most awsome and inspiring comments.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM

447 posts, read 764,287 times
I seriously doubt that few places could be a cultural wasteland. While there may not be Hollywood, or Broadway .. I am sure there are somethings that are distictly "Indiana" in your capital city. Every place is different, and wouldn't it be a sad world if that were not the case?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,932,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Well I don't think it's really a matter of affording NYC or LA, it's a matter of getting a job there. I agree that Indiana has no beauty compared to the West Coast, but apart from Southern California, I like the weather more here. It seems like it's always soggy and cool in the Northwest.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,457,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well I don't think it's really a matter of affording NYC or LA, it's a matter of getting a job there.
Careful with that. Anyone considering such a move should run a COL calculator before jumping ship.

MY SO could, quite easily, land a job in So. Cal., but when I , a native, showed him what we could afford, housing-wise, in the area, we decided to stay put.

We would go from a 5/2 historic home in a walkable neighborhood here in IN, to a 2/1 starter in an "iffy" neighborhood in Pasadena. Even with the slight salary increase and our years of equity.

About the only thing that would drop in price would be our produce bill. I still miss being able to walk out the door and pick lemons and oranges. Avocados, figs, artichokes etc....all cheaper in CA. One would have to eat a LOT of fruit and veggies to make up the difference though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or