U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 AM

30 posts, read 102,429 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I moved to IN from NM on January 3 and even though I've spent about an hour pouring over the BMV website, there are still some things I'm confused about when it comes to registering my car, so I'm hoping someone here can clear it up.

1) I just learned that I have 60 days to register my car here. Oops - I thought I had read 90 days before I moved here. The date on my lease is January 3 (though this isn't one of the documents I have to bring to prove residency and I plan to bring a utility bill and insurance statement). I plan to go to the BMV next weekend. Will there be a late registration penalty? How much?

2) I'm confused about the excise tax thing. I live in Monroe County and it looks like I pay a $30 or so registration fee and then a $25 flat fee for the county. Am I also required to pay Indiana sales tax on the car, which was purchased in 2008 in New Mexico? The car is free and clear - I have the title. And does the title now transfer to Indiana and there are fees for that?

Sorry for all the questions! This is all new to me. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,420,309 times
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you about what all you need to bring to register your car and timeframes. I suggest you call your local BMV office, and I'd imagine they'd be more than happy to explain everything to you.

As for the excise tax, you'll pay for that when you register the vehicle. It's essentially the same as what in other states is referred to as a personal property tax in that the tax is based on the value of the vehicle. Some folks from other states are floored by the cost. For example, I own two late-model vehicles, and it cost me around $550 to plate both of my cars last year.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 AM

30 posts, read 102,429 times
thanks, grmasterb

The car was actually a gift, so the bill of sale from NM says that we paid $1 for it in 2008. So do we pay tax on it just for 2011? You say it's based on the value of the car. It's a '96, so I imagine that tax will be pretty low, given that blue book value of the car is about $1500, right?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,420,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryp3177 View Post
thanks, grmasterb

The car was actually a gift, so the bill of sale from NM says that we paid $1 for it in 2008. So do we pay tax on it just for 2011? You say it's based on the value of the car. It's a '96, so I imagine that tax will be pretty low, given that blue book value of the car is about $1500, right?
I would think that the excise tax would be low, yes. Regarding the sales tax, however, didn't you already pay that to New Mexico? I don't see why Indiana would try to levy one. This is not a situation in which you purchased a vehicle prior to registering it in Indiana.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,152,651 times
If you have an out-of-state title, before you even go to the BMV, I would get a VIN inspection done at your local law enforcement agency (Town marshal, sheriff's department, police department). I'm not sure if they will make you get an Indiana title to plate your vehicle in Indiana, however I know that when they see out-of-state titles, they want an officer to inspect the VIN of the vehicle. In most cases, the officer runs the VIN to make sure it conforms to VIN standards and to make sure the vehicle isn't wanted. There may or may not be a fee for this service.

There are fees for everything at the BMV. Personally, I would get a clean title, even if you have to pay. If I was buying a used car, I would be very suspicious of a title that has a bunch of written sales/transfers on it. Out of state would be even worse. Unless they have changed things, most BMV branches have a "gatekeeper." They are there to greet you and answer your questions before you wait to see a clerk. They basically verify you have everything you need and tell you what you need prior to taking a number. Walk in and ask that person what all you need and what the fees will be. Also, last I heard, they may not charge you any penalty fees, but they will back charge you for the months the vehicle should have been registered.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 AM

2,797 posts, read 2,644,860 times
I just did this a few months ago moved from michigan. If you need to get indiana license. You need:
Proof of residence( lease)
Proof of citizensship(birth cert)
1 bill with your name and indiana address on it.
If married you need you marrage license to show name change.
And something showing your pic with name ( other state drivers license)
I didnt have my car reg. So they had me fill out a form and they ordered it from michigan for me.

The plate and tag charges here are way cheaper than in michigan.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM

157 posts, read 400,682 times
I changed my license and car from Kentucky to Indiana about six weeks ago.

No one asked me how long I've been living in Indiana (I had already been there over 60 days).

I have a question of my own, folks. How much does it cost to change the name on a title AND register the car for Indiana? I need to do this soon for an older car that's still in my dad's name. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM

2,797 posts, read 2,644,860 times
Dont know but doubt it is much. Heck it was like $40 or so to register and plate a 1998 winstar

Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM

205 posts, read 513,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
If you have an out-of-state title, before you even go to the BMV, I would get a VIN inspection done at your local law enforcement agency (Town marshal, sheriff's department, police department). I'm not sure if they will make you get an Indiana title to plate your vehicle in Indiana, however I know that when they see out-of-state titles, they want an officer to inspect the VIN of the vehicle. In most cases, the officer runs the VIN to make sure it conforms to VIN standards and to make sure the vehicle isn't wanted. There may or may not be a fee for this service.
Don't know about the rest of the state, but in Evansville, you can call the local police department. They will send an officer to your house and do the inspection. It takes just a few minutes, and I believe it costs about ten dollars.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,448,711 times
When I moved from IL I didn't have to get a VIN inspection done beforehand. An employee at the BMV went out in the parking lot and ckecked the VIN number. No big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or