U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM

94 posts, read 232,757 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that a lot of houses in this area have basements - does the wabash ever flood? Are the basements damp? ( I live near the coast in Virginia - we don't have basements that we use, we have basements that keep our houses above water, lol)

Also many people are telling me that the houses in the Southern area of Lafayette are fine, but I'm noticing that they're much cheaper there than in the North or east or in W. Lafayette. Why is that? Are the neighborhoods bad? I've seen some houses there with great sq. footage (2300 or more) and amazing amenities for very low prices compared to other sections of Lafayette.

We're looking for a ranch house rather than a 2 story, or at least with the Master bedroom on the 1st floor.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 7,629 times
Homes in the West Lafayette school district command much higher prices. It is a very small and highly coveted school district. You will also find the taxes higher. IMHO, the West side is a little nicer. We moved here four years ago from a wonderful suburb of Indianapolis and it took us 6
months to find a home we liked. We ended up on the West side and I am so thankful we did. The location is ideal for us. There are nice homes in all parts of the Lafayette area, but if school district is important to you then you will probably want to spend the extra $ to live in WLSC. If you are looking to have some land or be in the country at all then you won't find it in there and would be better off in county schools which you can find on all sides of the city. I wouldn't worry about too many "bad" neighborhoods. Hopefully, you are working with a good real estate agent that should be able to give you information on any particular neighborhood that you are considering.

HTH

Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,696,198 times
The Wabash floods, but very few houses are built on the flood plain.

Basements can flood if there's a heavy rain and/or the sump pump stops working. Power outages often follow big storms. If you have a basement and pump, consider a battery backup.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 PM

94 posts, read 232,757 times
When a power outtage occurs, you can still run a gas fireplace, right?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 AM

628 posts, read 1,710,246 times
generally you cannot as the ignitor and fan are both electric (from what I understand)
We have not had any problems with flooding in our basement although it is damp (we run 2 dehumidifiers all day every day on a schedule).

It depends where on the southside--any particular streets or neighborhoods. For instance if you are looking at Benjamin Crossing look ELSEWHERE! there are many other good neighborhoods very nearby. Anything at the 100,000 mark and newish may be a bit dodgy depending...

Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 PM

47 posts, read 43,086 times
Default Do not fear the South Side! :)

The homes on the South side are generally cheaper because this is a developing area. It's not very close to the main places where people are employed (Purdue, Caterpillar). I have friends that just moved to the South side, and they love it, despite the fact that it takes them about 20 minutes to get to the more active side of town, because there's a nice brand new Walmart, some places to eat, etc. I've lived in the area my whole life and have lived in Lafayette for 3 years for school, for reference. It's a very nice place to live, diverse, reasonably safe, lots of career opportunities. I hope this is helpful; sorry I don't have information about the flooding situation. However, I do know that the Wabash floods several times a year. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or