U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM

21 posts, read 36,512 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was recently accepted to IU and will be traveling to Bloomington from Florida in a couple of weeks to check out the school and the city. I will be there for five days and plan on spending a day looking at the campus and another day looking at apartments. Any suggestions on what I should do the remainder of my time there? Places to visit, eat, etc? I have never been to Indiana before. This will be a huge change for me, coming from Florida, so I'm very nervous but also excited. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:43 PM

797 posts, read 2,236,469 times
What type of things do you like to do? There is lots of great hiking nearby if you're into that or you could head over into little Nashville (kind of like a miniature Gatlinburg/Smokies area). If you're at all interested in history or architecture, I also like to recommend people check out French Lick. It's about an hour south of Bloomington. Frenchlick.com I swear it's not a dirty website

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Looks nice! Completely different from the beaches that I'm used to but I think a change of scenery will be good for me. I don't know if I'll make it outside of Bloomington since I don't know the area at all and will mainly be looking at the school and the area right around the school. I would like to spend a little bit of time in Indianapolis as well because I will be flying in and out of there.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Will you have a car? If so, that may make a big difference on how easy it will be to see/do things. Especially in Indianapolis. If no car, I would say just head downtown in Indy. I highly recommend going inside the World War Memorial on the north side of downtown and maybe walking along the canal. The Eiteljorg Museum and Indiana State Museum are both on the canal and are great to spend some time in. Going to Monument Circle and just looking around at the monument there and all the buildings is also a good 'first visit' activity.

As far as Bloomington, most of what there is to do 'in town' is centered around the university and downtown areas. I don't have a lot of time right now to make suggestions, but I will offer this website (Bloomington Indiana). Lots of leads on there. I noticed the Taste of Bloomington festival is happening on June 18 which might be a good way to get introduced to some local places.

Bloomington and the Monroe County areas is one of my favorite in the state (and no, I didn't go to college there). I hope you enjoy it. Let us know a little more about how much time you will be spending in each place and whether or not you will have a car and maybe we will be able to give some better advice for you. Good luck with planning the trip!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM

Thank you so much for those suggestions! I am flying up there on June 2nd and will be staying in Bloomington for the first 3 nights and Indianapolis for the last night, and flying back June 6th. I'm not sure if I will have a car or not. I know there is a shuttle that goes from the Indianapolis airport to Bloomington for $15, so I may just take that over to Bloomington. Will it be impossible to get around Bloomington without a car? I also have to find an apartment while I'm there. I'm hoping to find one close to campus but since it's pretty late I'm not sure what will be available. I'll have to look into renting a car, unless there is some other form of public transportation that can get me around the city easily.

Also, if I stay in downtown Indianapolis the last day, will I be able to get everywhere pretty easily? I read that Indianapolis is America's most walkable city.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgator7 View Post
Thank you so much for those suggestions! I am flying up there on June 2nd and will be staying in Bloomington for the first 3 nights and Indianapolis for the last night, and flying back June 6th. I'm not sure if I will have a car or not. I know there is a shuttle that goes from the Indianapolis airport to Bloomington for $15, so I may just take that over to Bloomington. Will it be impossible to get around Bloomington without a car? I also have to find an apartment while I'm there. I'm hoping to find one close to campus but since it's pretty late I'm not sure what will be available. I'll have to look into renting a car, unless there is some other form of public transportation that can get me around the city easily.

Also, if I stay in downtown Indianapolis the last day, will I be able to get everywhere pretty easily? I read that Indianapolis is America's most walkable city.
Bloomington will be very easy for you to get around without a car. Most of what you will be interested in getting to will be around and within walking distance of campus, including downtown. For a smaller city, the bus service also seems pretty good should you decide you want to use the bus. This website should be all you need to figure out the transit in Bloomington (index). I also recommend getting a bicycle to get around campus. It's a very popular and sensible option.

As for Indy, I would definitely NOT call it America's most walkable city. However, the downtown area would definitely fit this description. It's very easy to walk/bike around downtown and the great thing about it is that there are so many restaurants and things there to walk to in a fairly compact area. Which hotel will you be staying in while in Indy?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will look into taking the bus while in Bloomington. Is there anything I really need to see there besides the campus and downtown?

I have a Mariott discount so my choices for Indianapolis are:

Fairfield Inn Indianapolis South
4504 Southport Crossing Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46237

Courtyard Indianapolis South
4650 Southport Crossing Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46237

Residence Inn Indianapolis Airport
5224 West Southern Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46241

Indianapolis Mariott Downtown
350 West Maryland Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown
601 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown
501 W Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Which one of these would be easiest to get around?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgator7 View Post
Thank you for all your suggestions. I will look into taking the bus while in Bloomington. Is there anything I really need to see there besides the campus and downtown?

I have a Mariott discount so my choices for Indianapolis are:

Definitely not these two. Without a car they are not convenient to either the airport or downtown which kind of defeats the purpose.
Fairfield Inn Indianapolis South
4504 Southport Crossing Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46237

Courtyard Indianapolis South
4650 Southport Crossing Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46237

Never stayed here so I don't know how nice this one is. Being near the airport would be okay, but as long as you have to get in a taxi to get there, why not just head all the way downtown and save yourself the extra effort of getting a second taxi to go sightseeing? Unless of course there is a shuttle from the hotel to the airport.
Residence Inn Indianapolis Airport
5224 West Southern Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46241

Based on your list, I would recommend one of these three. All are basically in the same spot and right across the street from White River State Park, the Indiana State Museum, Eiteljorg Museum, NCAA Hall of Fame, and the Canal. It's a little bit of a walk to the Circle though (~1 mile) and a little farther to Mass Ave. If you want something more central, I might tell you to look at the Sheraton which is basically right on Monument Circle. The back side of it has rooms that overlook the Soldiers and Sailors Monument and the prices are about the same as the Marriott. Here's the site if you want it (Indianapolis Hotels - Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel)
Indianapolis Mariott Downtown
350 West Maryland Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown
601 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown
501 W Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Which one of these would be easiest to get around?
Most of the great stuff to see and do in Bloomington is centered around downtown and campus, with the nature surrounding town being the other main attraction. Walk down Kirkwood Avenue to see the traditional Bloomington college vibe and the sample gates on the border of the campus. There's the Kinsey Sex institute/museum if you're interested in something a bit risque (sp?). There's also the Tibetan/Buddhist Cultural Center (Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center - Home Page) which is off of the campus area on the SE side of town. I'm pretty sure the Dhali Llama's nephew still lives somewhere in the Bloomington area and his royal Llamaness has been to visit several times so there are some connections to this culture in the area and the Center is really neat.

For comments about Indy hotels, see my insertions into your quote above and check out the other Bloomington website I gave you in an earlier post for other things there.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it. I may look into renting a car in Bloomington to make it a little easier to look at apartments and get to and from campus, but I will most likely not have a car in Indianapolis so staying downtown seems to be the best option.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 24,562 times
Places to eat.....Lennie's on 10th St. on campus, Opie Taylor's downtown on N. Walnut St., Cafe Pizzaria on Kirkwood, just to name a few. Bloomington is FULL of awesome food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana