Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:31 AM

382 posts, read 512,879 times

Advertisements

My generalizations are exactly that and I was clear that they are simply my opinion based on the inferences I drew from the statistics at hand, which anyone can also research and form their own opinions. The simple truth of the matter is that I haven't had one single problem or uneasy moment (outside of the month I spent living in a motel right off of Cassopolis, which is a different story entirely and not a true "living situation") in my time in the area. The root of my concern is what happens when the massive amount of unskilled labor in the area does eventually end up without a job and no means to get one. Desperate people resort to desperate things and the area does already have a drug and gang problem, which is almost entirely Hispanic, although it's been completely invisible to me personally (save for one meth head at a gas station that was dressed exactly like Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad, who paid for $2.85 of gas with mostly pennies, which I found more amusing than dangerous... and he was a white guy).

The reason I mentioned the insane traffic is so people can plan accordingly for their potential living situations. I'd personally much rather (and I'm just spitballing here as I haven't done it) live in, say, New Paris, and drive in from the south on back roads than try to fight the traffic on 33 from Goshen to Elkhart, or central Goshen, if one's job was in Goshen proper. You may drive the same time, and potentially more miles, but I suspect it would be a much less frustrating commute and a much quieter living situation. Also, this says nothing about my complaints about the condition of the roads when the county is taxing people plenty (again, DOUBLE what Allen county is) and the economy is absolutely on fire. I guess we'll see what summer time brings as far as repairs, but they were like that when I moved in October too...

I agree that I've never seen an economy as booming as the greater Elkhart area is right now. Literally every business in town has a "help wanted" sign out front. I've already joked that I should buy a bus and drive up to Detroit or Chicago and just shuttle workers in every day for a nominal weekly fee. So, in that context, I'd say anyone in a bad situation that can possibly get to the area would no doubt be in a better situation once they arrived. I've never seen anything like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Werd. Exactly. I live in Elkhart and it's getting just as bad. Moving west in Feb. Elkhart's bad, but Goshen is worse. Don't move there.
So much misleading information here.

In 2016 Elkhart had 15 murders and Goshen had 3. In 2009 Elkhart had 9 murders and Goshen had 0.

Goshen is by far and large the nicer and safer and more lively of the two cities. Elkhart has more urban decay than Goshen, by a long shot.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM

384 posts, read 376,251 times
I love Goshen , if it weren't for the winters I would live in Goshen . I was born and raised in Elkhart and Goshen is a really nice little town. Elkhart on the other hand is not so safe , unfortunately I have several family members in Elkhart and they do not have the means to move away.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:39 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,326 times
Elkhart isn't that dangerous. Honestly, most of the city is pretty nice. There are many nice communities that are near the river. Just stay away from the areas close to downtown and you're good.

Goshen is definitely a great town. Great city planning and smart planning.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Elkhart isn't that dangerous. Honestly, most of the city is pretty nice. There are many nice communities that are near the river. Just stay away from the areas close to downtown and you're good.

Goshen is definitely a great town. Great city planning and smart planning.
It's like most cities, Elkhart has its nice areas and its really bad areas. However, crime in Elkhart is much higher than in Goshen. It's similar to South Bend vs Mishawaka, South Bend has more big city amenities much like Elkhart, but also more urban decay and poverty and crime.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's like most cities, Elkhart has its nice areas and its really bad areas. However, crime in Elkhart is much higher than in Goshen. It's similar to South Bend vs Mishawaka, South Bend has more big city amenities much like Elkhart, but also more urban decay and poverty and crime.
Yes, that is accurate. It's a smaller scale of South Bend-Mishawaka. I just think it's irresponsible to consider an entire city crappy when there are 52,000 people living there. Obviously, there are going to be nice areas but people just focus on the bad.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Yes, that is accurate. It's a smaller scale of South Bend-Mishawaka. I just think it's irresponsible to consider an entire city crappy when there are 52,000 people living there. Obviously, there are going to be nice areas but people just focus on the bad.
Point taken. I often come to South Bend's defense when people point out its crime stats, and South Bend, just like Elkhart, has a lot of very beautiful, historic, and safe neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana