U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 19,410 times
I made the same mistake moving here!! the only saving grace for me was that i got a 3 story brick victorian for 80,000 .. love the house and the changing seasons.. but Yuck ..Bushism is alive and thriving in Indiana.. and they wonder why there are no jobs.. go figure. lol

Old 11-20-2006, 02:06 AM

17 posts, read 91,898 times
It is so interesting to see how people stereotype Indiana as a total red state filled with idiot Christian yahoos in pickup trucks. I was born in Indiana but raised in Ohio in an extremely liberal college town. I have lived in Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Indianapolis and now Northwest Indiana. I have found that wherever I live, I can find likeminded people. It is true that Indiana is more conservative than may places, but it has helped me to become more open-minded as well. I have found that many of these Christian conservatives are actually very loving and charitable people. There are bastions of liberism in Indiana - and I should point out, the Democrats did very well here in the last election. I agree with people who mentioned the Nashville area. Also you could try the trendy Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis. That is a very liberal area as well. Bloomington and Lafayette tend to be liberal, because they are college towns. You do get a great house for the money here - Indianapolis may just be the cheapest large city in the nation for housing. That may be bad for those of us who live here, but it's great for people who want to move here. I think this is a good time to buy, because eventually it will start evening out with the rest of the nation. The inexpensive cost of living here has allowed our family to live very comfortably on one income - something you don't find on either coast or in Chicago. I say Indiana is a great state! Now if you want REALLY LIBERAL, RURAL, beautiful appalachian mountain scenery and CHEAP as h$LL housing - check out Athens, Ohio!!

Old 11-21-2006, 06:02 AM

578 posts, read 980,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceMom View Post
It is so interesting to see how people stereotype Indiana as a total red state filled with idiot Christian yahoos in pickup trucks. I was born in Indiana but raised in Ohio in an extremely liberal college town. I have lived in Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Indianapolis and now Northwest Indiana. I have found that wherever I live, I can find likeminded people. It is true that Indiana is more conservative than may places, but it has helped me to become more open-minded as well. I have found that many of these Christian conservatives are actually very loving and charitable people. There are bastions of liberism in Indiana - and I should point out, the Democrats did very well here in the last election. I agree with people who mentioned the Nashville area. Also you could try the trendy Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis. That is a very liberal area as well. Bloomington and Lafayette tend to be liberal, because they are college towns. You do get a great house for the money here - Indianapolis may just be the cheapest large city in the nation for housing. That may be bad for those of us who live here, but it's great for people who want to move here. I think this is a good time to buy, because eventually it will start evening out with the rest of the nation. The inexpensive cost of living here has allowed our family to live very comfortably on one income - something you don't find on either coast or in Chicago. I say Indiana is a great state! Now if you want REALLY LIBERAL, RURAL, beautiful appalachian mountain scenery and CHEAP as h$LL housing - check out Athens, Ohio!!
As someone who grew up in Chicago, and has spent a buttload of time in neighboring Indiana many times in my life, I completely second your post. LOL, as a matter of fact, there are definately some parts of Illinois that are definately as conservative(in fact, probably are moreso conservative) than Indiana is! Particularly the 9-county SE Illinois area surrounded by I-70 on the north, I-64 on the south, I-57 on the west, and the Wabash River on the east(or in otherwards, the small square of countries that made up the majority of eastern IL counties that voted for Allen Keyes in '04). Now, if that part of IL isn't MORE conservative than many parts of northern Indiana(and also nearby Evansville, IN), than I don't know what it'd take to convince people that IL is just as conservative in parts of the state. Not to mention either that Southern IL is actually one of the more Democratic parts of the state, unlike common belief(always amazed how people fool themselves into believing this misconception). If you really wanna find the conservative areas of the state, you're better off looking in Eastern IL or parts of Southeast IL, that's for sure!!

Anyway, as for me(since I've all but decided to move out of IL permanently, once I graduate college), there are a lot of reasons why I wanna move out of state, and I don't blame people who've moved out of this state that I've known in recent years. In fact, going to college in Bloomington-Normal, IL has inspired me to look for similar type metro areas in other states within the Midwest and upper parts of the South(mainly Kentucky), but have a slightly bigger population than B-N does, as I LOVE how friendly people are in the B-N area(and if it wasn't for my desire to move out of this state, I'd likely consider living here long-term after I graduate college). Not to mention I'm also interested in moving slightly south to an area that'd still allow me to drive to Chicago in a day's drive, but allow for a shorter winter, too(and since I still want to experience all 4 seasons, even snow(just MUCH less of it, seriously), and since I've long realized FL or Texas weather(at least for the latter, as far north as areas such as Bryan-College Station, or Austin, and southwards to the Mexico border) isn't for me). So far, Lexington(KY) and Columbia(MO) have fit that criteria the best so far, but I haven't ruled out other areas too. I also don't want to live in a big metro area either, which'd rule out areas like St. Louis or Louisville, KY for now. Keep in mind I'm only mentioning what I am leaning towards living in, and that I have NOT shut the door on considering the Louisville or St. Louis metropolitan areas, unlike what I can perceive some as thinking. I'm just replying, since I greatly appreciated reading your post(lol, not to mention I've always wanted to go to Athens, OH myself).

BTW, does anyone know about how the town of Warsaw, IN is like? I've always thought that'd probably be a great town to visit, the more and more I read up about it. I'm jealous of people who've been lucky enough to visit there....

Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 AM

17,524 posts, read 23,569,658 times
I grew up near Warsaw. It's a very very very very veeeeerrrrryyyyyy conservative town. The Winona Lake area is lovely and Warsaw is nice, if you can handle the politics. There is a significant out of towner population with all the lakes nearby. Oh yea, it's the orthopedic capital of the world. Biomet, Zimmer & DePuy are all located in Warsaw.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,687 times
Hi...I am a transplant here in SW Indiana...and to answer your question, I would have to say the Bloomington area, about 40 minutes from me. Indiana University is there, and I think that the diversity of that campus within spitting distance of Indy would make it palatable. My brother is gay and a professional in Dallas/Ft. Worth and he thought about relocating to Bloomington to be closer to us and his Goddaughters. Yes, you'll get the rednecks, but you might really like that area.

I am closer to Vincennes, and when I went to school there, I was impressed with all the efforts to explore and celebrate individual differences by the programs sponsored by the university to clubs (GALA, anyone?)

So...I say Bloomington.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 13,457 times
[quote=zazupitts;166535]I made the same mistake moving here!! the only saving grace for me was that i got a 3 story brick victorian for 80,000 .. love the house and the changing seasons.. but Yuck ..Bushism is alive and thriving in Indiana.. and they wonder why there are no jobs.. go figure. lol[/QUOTE Oh man, please give it a chance. I have lived in Indy my whole life (40 years). Its not so bad. What the heck is "Bushism"?? You either like him or you don't - I don't know anyone who worships him. hee hee. Good luck - hang in there.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:51 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,223,930 times
I am originally from DC area, lived in North Carolina for 12 years, lived in Indianapolis for 3 1/2 years and recently moved back to DC. I have mixed feelings about Indiana.

I'll start with the negative: Being of MiddleEastern descent (Persian) doesn't go very well in Indiana, it's not a diverse place at all, I lived on the north side of Indy in Carmel/Westfield area (Very rich, white and Yuppy) and always got stared at. It's not always a negative thing, it's just that people notice you're different, so they look and they assume that you don't speak any English or you're an illigal immigrant so they speak very loud and slowly as if that would help even if you didn't speak the language, then when they hear you talk, they get surprised and complement you on how good your english is not paying any attention to the fact that maybe you were born here just like them! And it's very very Republican. I don't mind conservative Republicans as long as they can back up what they believe and respect my beliefs, that's what this country is all about. Ones I met in Indy were blindly Republican no matter what the Republicans are doing and they knew nothing of the current issues because it didn't matter to them that the Demcratic candidate may be a better alternative regardless of political affiliation. During the presidential election, my neighbor and I were having a political conservation, she of course was a huge Bush fan, I am not a huge Democrat, but I am objective and not a Bush fan, I was shocked at how little she knew about any of Bush's first term policies or anything else related to his campaign but yet she was voting for him anyway. Then the real shocker came out, she did not know who **** Cheney was!!! I am not kidding! Next is the religious thing, it's very religious (Christian) and if you're not into it, you may get judged or left out, you can't even buy cold beer at the grociery store or on Sundays, but you can buy hard liquor at the Pharmacy store Monday through Saturday! Next, they have their fair share of pick up trucks, strip malls, rednecks, etc... Then, there is the wind and the winters which goes without saying. In the winter, it's cold, windy and worse of all cloudy all the time. I wish it snowed more, but it doesn't, just flurries and stays gray.

Now to the positive things about Indiana: People here are generally very nice. Right when you are starting to judge them and stereotype, you meet someone like a few hoosiers on this site that completely change your views and really surprise you. I've made some great friends in Indiana I will keep in touch forever, there are a lot of good like minded people there. Indianapolis is a great city, it's a large small city. There is a lot of things to do without the hassles of a big city. Broad Ripple area is very nice and it's very diverse and eclectic. There are a lot of good restaurants and bars in Broad Ripple. It's right on the river and the Monon bike trail which runs from the north side of the city to Downtown. There is a really cool park also which has a dog park. There are very cool houses within the walking distance of everything which come with descent size yards on very cool streets with nice large trees at a reasonable price compared to East/West coasts. Also, the Downtown is very nice and there is a lot to do. There are a lot of restaurants, bars, museums etc to see downtown, also the canal is very nice. It runs right by IUPUI and the zoo. The canal part of down town is one of the nices I've seen. There are lots of monuments and other cool areas to check out. Cost of living is very low, you can purchase a really nice house at a burgain. Traffic is not that bad in Indy. It's easy to go anywhere even big sporting events without wasting your whole day. Summers and falls are awesome in Indy, it's mild, not that humid and there is always something going on, there is a general sense of happiness with everyone during the summer probably because the winters are pretty depressing. Every weekend, there is some type of festival which are all very well planned and very cool. Also, there is a great baseball stadium downtown, even if you're into baseball, it's very enjoyable to go to a game on a summer night, sit outside, have a drink and really enjoy the breeze. I loved the summers in Indy.

Bottom line: Generally speaking, it is what you make out of it and if you're a positive person, good positive things happen. It may seem difficult at first as it did for me but I ended up really liking it in Indy. I met a lot of really cool people who thought like me and found a lot of cool places and did a lot of cool things. Once you get to know the city and specially if you stay open-minded about people and their beliefs, you realize that most of them are the same way as you just on the other end of the spectrum and you'll really like it. So I vote for Broad Ripple/Tarkington areas of Indianapolis. I hope this helps. Good luck

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 12-06-2006 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 PM

292 posts, read 657,920 times
It might help to know that most Hoosiers are immigrants from south of the border. (yep, Kentucky) Actually I was born 'n raised in central In., but settled on west coast after serving in the military. I do recall nepotism being pretty big thing. Everyone kept telling me they could not hire me without experience, which I did not have because no one would hire me. Also, there was a strange mix of conservative farmers and. democrat auto workers (lots of 'em at that time) as well as a mix of southern/appalachian and urban northern folks migrating to the area. Did not know at the time, that the Klan actually ran the state for a time, and was headquartered there. Also, if you are even a little bit gay, do not even think about east central indiana, but if you are careful where you move, you might be fine. Having said that, I am still considering moving back to the area someplace. I suppose that most of the criticisms here have some merit but are exaggerated a bit, and there are rednecks, strip malls and SUVs, and trash culture most everyplace now, I live in a beautiful safe area by the beach, but can't afford property, and don't fit in with all the Reagan/ditto-heads here.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM

54 posts, read 226,290 times
Where were all of you when I was living in Indiana? I would have been in hog heaven (no pun intented) just to talk with a cultured individual.

I'm sorry but I really can't recommend a liberal area of Indiana for you. Perhaps Bloomington would be worth a shot, but I would definitely spend some time there before making a move. The University is there, but I never had the opportunity to make a trip there to see the town for myself.

What everyone else says is true. The housing market stinks. They keep building and building and building and there are so many new developments and such an oversupply of inventory that there is no way in H#LL that you will recoup your money if you ever decide to sell. The market is depreciating.

Indiana is chain restaurant capital of the world. Good luck finding a nice Italian place to take your honey for her birthday. You'll have to go to the Olive Garden. When we were there we saw many independents go out of buisiness as Hoosiers apparently don't like fine dining. As one lady said, if it ain't a chain I aint eatin' there.

With the holidays coming up you should see lots of xmas lights spelling out sayings on top of people's roofs like Christ is Risen, etc. etc. In fact my boss had me typing up letters at work to send to the state senator to make sure the gay marriage amendment never passed. I was invited to attend prayer meetings during the day at my office, and regaled with stories about how Jesus helped them lose weight. Apparently there is some diet that if you pray to Jesus, you will lose weight. I told the girl that she better pray to Jesus to put down that box of cookies she is shoving in her mouth.

Hey, if you decide to do it, good luck to you.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 PM

17,524 posts, read 23,569,658 times
I drive past a greenhouse every monday night that has "Jesus is the reason for the season" in lights ... sigh. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana