Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 PM

13 posts, read 88,649 times

Advertisements

I have to ask this as I've been on realty sites checking out the homes..

WHY, OH WHY do 90% of the homes in Indiana not have basements unless they are super old??

You are in the midwest. Tornadoes have decimated towns that never had tornadoes before even recently.

I am in the Chicagoland area and usually basements are just a giveaway here.

I do know sometimes it is due to rock foundation in certain areas (in sections of Indy). So where do you go with tornado warnings? Where do you store all your stuff?

Anyway, I was just curious about that because I would never live in a home without a basement and I'm surprised so many people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Basements are pretty normal in Indiana. If you look on realtor.com, you can check off "basements" and it will only give you houses with basements.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:39 PM

95 posts, read 456,143 times
Even my aunts house on the NE side of Indy has a basement... and it's 10 years old?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM

10 posts, read 39,779 times
Alot of new home builders (Tk homes,Praire Homes,Beazer Homes ) Build homes at a price point which do not include basements, also there is are warranty issues. Slab homes are very common in the last 6-7 years

Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Basements are pretty normal in Indiana. If you look on realtor.com, you can check off "basements" and it will only give you houses with basements.
I do that but I get maybe 4 hits with basements. 90% of the homes I've looked at unless really old do not have them. Some none at all will have basements. They'll still pull up ALL listings on realtor.com if you pick basements but only the ones that show 100% have basements 90% of the homes will show a 91% hit of relevance and that means everything BUT basement. That's what I'm seeing.

I find it very odd. My husband was shocked too when he started looking.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollew View Post
I do that but I get maybe 4 hits with basements. 90% of the homes I've looked at unless really old do not have them. Some none at all will have basements. They'll still pull up ALL listings on realtor.com if you pick basements but only the ones that show 100% have basements 90% of the homes will show a 91% hit of relevance and that means everything BUT basement. That's what I'm seeing.

I find it very odd. My husband was shocked too when he started looking.

realtor.com isn't the best source .. sorry for pointing you there. You can try removed go to search by criteria ... for Fishers, click on Hamilton County, then for townships, click, Fall Creek, Delaware and Wayne ... it's more up to date and has more listings. Good luck!

Last edited by Marka; 09-09-2006 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
realtor.com isn't the best source .. sorry for pointing you there. You can try removed go to search by criteria ... for Fishers, click on Hamilton County, then for townships, click, Fall Creek, Delaware and Wayne ... it's more up to date and has more listings. Good luck!
i was on inest.com last night looking for builders but none of them I found around Indy even give you a basement option

Oh well, when the time comes closer I'll look more in depth. I still want YOUR house

Old 09-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollew View Post
i was on inest.com last night looking for builders but none of them I found around Indy even give you a basement option

Oh well, when the time comes closer I'll look more in depth. I still want YOUR house
Well with my luck, it WILL still be on the market when you are ready!!!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:25 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
I would say about 70% of all homes in and around Indy have basements. That is Indianapolis. when you go northwest up to Lafayette/West Lafayette, the percentage drops to probably well under 50%, especially in newer homes. Building a dry basement in areas having a high water table is problematical and challenging.

You should also check out Florida which gets quite a few tornadoes. Probably less than 5% of the homes have basements. If you dig down 4 feet in Naples, Florida, you hit water.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 09-14-2006 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Cheap housing usually does not have a basement. They are an extra cost option if the land supports a basement. I have one (built 97) in downtown Indy and most of the houses I have looked at have them.

Check out removed for actual multiple listing service for central Indiana.

ps, If you are afraid of tornadoes, don't come to Indiana. The sirens will freak you out. Some evenings we have had the siren go off three or more times. Or live in downtown Indy. The storms go north and south probably due to the heat effect of all the concrete downtown. Only Nashville TN seems to have had a tornado that came close to downtown Nashville.

Last edited by Marka; 09-26-2006 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana