Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 17,907 times

Advertisements

I have family in Anderson and Pendleton, and I really like the area (especially Anderson) but I am curious about the future of both places. Anderson has seen hard times, mostly since the early 90s when factories began leaving town, so I guess I am wondering if people think it will ever "come back" from it's crippled state? Are there jobs for people with college degrees that pay decently enough to make it worth living in a ghostly town? Also, do you think the sprawl of Indy will reach Pendleton and, in turn, Anderson in the next 10-15 years?

I am not one who cares much for politics but perhaps the mayor of Anderson has plans for its future. The Colts training camp isn't enough, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin2010 View Post
I have family in Anderson and Pendleton, and I really like the area (especially Anderson) but I am curious about the future of both places. Anderson has seen hard times, mostly since the early 90s when factories began leaving town, so I guess I am wondering if people think it will ever "come back" from it's crippled state? Are there jobs for people with college degrees that pay decently enough to make it worth living in a ghostly town? Also, do you think the sprawl of Indy will reach Pendleton and, in turn, Anderson in the next 10-15 years?

I am not one who cares much for politics but perhaps the mayor of Anderson has plans for its future. The Colts training camp isn't enough, I'm afraid.
i think Anderson will experience what Joliet and Auroa in Illinois experianced.
They both were seperate towns not much in common with Chicago both experienced a decline however now due to Chicago expanding westward they became their own 2 unique suburbs.
I see that happening to Anderson as Indianapolis expands outward.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,709,207 times
Joliet had nothing in common with Chicago?

Didn't you ever watch the Blues Brothers??

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM

8,940 posts, read 17,162,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
i think Anderson will experience what Joliet and Auroa in Illinois experianced.
They both were seperate towns not much in common with Chicago both experienced a decline however now due to Chicago expanding westward they became their own 2 unique suburbs.
I see that happening to Anderson as Indianapolis expands outward.
If Indianapolis ever expands outward enough for that to happen, it will be because Marion County has imploded.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Indy: Could Marion County Implode?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If Indianapolis ever expands outward enough for that to happen, it will be because Marion County has imploded.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Indy: Could Marion County Implode?
maybe maybe not.
I think Marion county will actually contiune growing cause Indianapolis has made leaps and bounds at improving the urban neighborhoods.
Fall Creek Place soon to be Near East Side and fountain square to name a few.
However ill be making a new thread on this topic during Super Bowl 46 Mitch Daniels will be with the corporate decision makers and try to get them to invest more in the low cost of doing business Indiana.
If we bring alot more jobs to Indianapolis people will contiune to relocate here from across the country cause in this economy people are going where the jobs are.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM

49 posts, read 81,588 times
Anderson is slowly becoming the new Gary or Detroit take your pick

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog241 View Post
Anderson is slowly becoming the new Gary or Detroit take your pick
Na.

Indy Company Expands to Anderson - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick
As i said Anderson will Rebound and i see the future of the city as a suburb of Indianapolis in the way Joliet became a Suburb of Chicago.
In the past Joliet was a seperate city that was close to Chicago but not considered a suburb. Well as Chicago grew out Joliet joined the Suburban Club. Heck before Joliet even had high unemployment and a poor economy.
I see the same thing happening as Indianapolis contiunes to grow and prosper which will take up more land.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 PM

22 posts, read 61,315 times
When would you expect Anderson to reach Muncie? Once Anderson is a suburb more development and jobs will definitely move in. I know that Anderson and Muncie have almost no area between them already but all of the homes connecting the two are still very spread out.

I give about 40-50 years for there to be any real development between the two.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraner View Post
When would you expect Anderson to reach Muncie? Once Anderson is a suburb more development and jobs will definitely move in. I know that Anderson and Muncie have almost no area between them already but all of the homes connecting the two are still very spread out.

I give about 40-50 years for there to be any real development between the two.
Ya.
But if you look at the Suburban development Fishers is about 2-3 miles away from expanding to the Madison County line and heck some subdivisions are already appearing in Madison County. Hence why i believe Anderson will do just like what Joliet did with Chicago. Joliet had a bad economy in the 70s-early 90s but Chicago expanded out enough to absorb Joliet into a Suburb and Joliet took on the new role and now its more prosperious.
Same thing goes for Anderson the trick is they need to be ready and accept it openly. Rejecting the Idea of Anderson being a future Suburb of Indianapolis will just cause more decay and problems. Also i should mention that Pendleton and Lapel will become suburbs first. Have Google Earth up right now checking this out

Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 AM

16 posts, read 22,925 times
Pendleton already is a burb of Indy.
I went to Pendleton school when it was still a small farm town.
We now call that place Westfield wanna be.. Or Carmel wanna be.
Anderson is too far to be a viable burb of Indy. Unless you live off of 69 on old Pendleton Ave or something.
Otherwise, you drive an hour to work everyday. I did it for years, living on 53rd street by the VP.
It was a LONG drive to work.

Lapel is a burb of Noblesville. That's the whole existence of Lapel. That and well.. Rickers lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana