Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:05 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indianan? What's that .
I corrected him Msam not everyone lives in Indiana.......... Yet....... be friendly to our friends here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM

643 posts, read 1,388,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indianan? What's that .
ummm I mean Hoosiers

Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
A right to work state is very benificial to a company. It's the individual employee who is hurt. Personally I have never done a cold winter or been to Indiana and I'm back in my hometown after living in Phoenix, AZ and Biloxi, MS. I have no desire to leave San Diego County again. However being unemployed I would consider moving to Indiana if offered a job even with the pay cuts. That being said I gave up on Phoenix after being laid off and not being able to find work there either(NTM I hated the place). Arizona, a right to work state, payed almost half the salary my job title demands in California. GL Indianans I hope you stay employed but be prepared to make a lot less money doing the same thing .

Indianans ????We are called Hoosiers .

Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,461,461 times
According to the reports I have read, roughly 10% of the workers in the state of Indiana are union members (in other words, paying dues to a union). It is amazing how those 10% seem to be responsible for causing ALL the economic problems in the entire state.

Just think about that for a moment.

How is that possible?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
According to the reports I have read, roughly 10% of the workers in the state of Indiana are union members (in other words, paying dues to a union). It is amazing how those 10% seem to be responsible for causing ALL the economic problems in the entire state.

Just think about that for a moment.

How is that possible?
Amazing isn't it??? Well now that those PITA unions have been put in their place, let the economic flow begin ... Right????

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Amazing isn't it??? Well now that those PITA unions have been put in their place, let the economic flow begin ... Right????
What? You don't see them busting the door down from Illinois??

Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Maybe they are knocking with their pinkies ...

Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
As i said we need to Widen I-90 and I-80/94 from Chicago to accomidate the businesses and people

Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
I refuse to take sides but I will tell you a real story. A few years ago when my mate and I were living in Chicago we did not like the Chicago winters. Mate's brother said come on down to Florida. You can find a job. My mate was a printer making close to $21/hr in a non-union shop. We trotted down to Florida - a right to work state. The best job mate could find was night shift manager at a small newspaper. The pay was a whopping $2.38/hr with no benefits. We returned to Illinois.

Here is some information I found on the RTW Law: Bad for Indiana - Why "Right to Work" is Bad for Indiana and Bad for Hoosiers! - Home

Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I refuse to take sides but I will tell you a real story. A few years ago when my mate and I were living in Chicago we did not like the Chicago winters. Mate's brother said come on down to Florida. You can find a job. My mate was a printer making close to $21/hr in a non-union shop. We trotted down to Florida - a right to work state. The best job mate could find was night shift manager at a small newspaper. The pay was a whopping $2.38/hr with no benefits. We returned to Illinois.

Here is some information I found on the RTW Law: Bad for Indiana - Why "Right to Work" is Bad for Indiana and Bad for Hoosiers! - Home
was the Newspaper smaller as you said?
Smaller companies could generally have smaller pay.
Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times are pretty big newspaper companies.
Also you have to consider Disposible income.
For example lets just use 100,000$ a year as a base.
if i move from Chicago to Indianapolis my cost of living drops 25% so if i made 100,000$ a year in Chicago i could make only 75,000 a year and sustain the same standard of living. But the average wage in Indianapolis is only 8% less than compared to Chicago.
Hence why i always look at DISPOSIBLE income over everything cause when you boil it down taxes deductions etc thats what matters cause thats what you take home.
Flordia probably has a lower cost of living than Chicago so that has to be taken into account too.
I personally use this website to consider the advantage of moving from X location to Y location. http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...detail_77.html
Because it also considers average wage reduction or increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana