U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 7,780 times

Advertisements

If your looking for a nice night life city, awesome restaurants, and good parks and trails, Bloomington has it. Plus Indy is not that far away if you're looking to shop or just enjoy the bigger city scene.

p.s. IU campus is gorgeous, its fun to explore it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 PM

1,551 posts, read 1,638,894 times
Since I'm college aged and have only been to Bloomington seeing it from that perspective, I was wondering if you all really think it'd be better than Indianapolis for a 41 year old? I guess I haven't really done too much in Bloomington that doesn't involve IU though. With that said, I'd still live in Bloomington over Greenwood any day. There's something about the Indianapolis suburbs (other than the northern ones) that I just can't stand.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,200,243 times
If I worked in Bloomington, I wouldn't hesitate to live in Bloomington. It has a lot to do in a contained environment. As far as college towns go, Bloomington is a great one for people of all ages.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM

2,080 posts, read 2,892,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Since I'm college aged and have only been to Bloomington seeing it from that perspective, I was wondering if you all really think it'd be better than Indianapolis for a 41 year old? I guess I haven't really done too much in Bloomington that doesn't involve IU though. With that said, I'd still live in Bloomington over Greenwood any day. There's something about the Indianapolis suburbs (other than the northern ones) that I just can't stand.
Well, I've lived in Bloomington as a college student, a grad student, and moved back by choice as a parent. Bloomington is often listed as a top retirement destination. I recently told someone that I love it here because I can go into any place, and it's unlikely I will be the only one there my age. I often see people older and younger whether it's at the Bluebird or some place a bit quieter.
Domergurl is right--it's pretty self-contained.

Given all the OP said, I would highly recommend B-ton over Indy or any of it's suburbs.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,200,243 times
Wow ... I couldn't imagine going to the Bird at my age!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 2,892,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Wow ... I couldn't imagine going to the Bird at my age!

Don't worry DG--I'm pretty sure I'm older than you. The last time I went there were people there older than me. It was quite the eclectic crowd. I typically only go in there if there is a band we really want to see.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 AM

898 posts, read 961,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Since I'm college aged and have only been to Bloomington seeing it from that perspective, I was wondering if you all really think it'd be better than Indianapolis for a 41 year old?
Depends what a 41 year old wants out of life. I'm closer to 41 than college aged, and my lifestyle would work very well in Bloomington/Monroe County. For starters, I'm not a fan of large urban areas that are like Indy. Indy is just one big spread out concert/asphalt pad. So I never really get a true "urban" feel, especially after I visited NYC last year.

I like the outdoors, especially hiking in more remote/rural areas. In that aspect, Bloomington would serve me well. Outside of a trip to a park or walking trail, we are mostly at home. We are not big "ethnic" eaters, and thus the need for hundreds of restaurants to spend our money out isn't needed. We also are frugal with our money, and are content with watching TV, day trips to new places (exploring mostly), so we don't need a lot of arts stuff, or bars to go to and drop $50/night, etc..

Now if you are one who needs to spend money to live life: Sports entertainment, bars/clubs, eating out many times a week, shopping for house/apartment stuff on a constant basis....then I would say a bigger city is where such a person would want to live. There is only so much in Bloomington. Those who like the outdoor lifestyle, smaller city living, and life a more home centric lifestyle, Bloomington would be better than Indy.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM

414 posts, read 730,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Since you mentioned you are Asian, is it important to you to be near people that share your background? The Asian population in Bloomington is significantly higher than Greenwood or Indianapolis.
Most of the descriptions of B-ton vs Greenwood seem reasonable, but I'd take objection to this one. Indy is hardly the lily-white metropolis, at least these days. Compared to most cities in, say, California, it will seem pretty homogeneous, but the Asian population has grown astronomically in the Indy city limits and in some of the suburbs in recent years. It's a much bigger city, and it doesn't have a big captive student population, so the demographic our OP might be seeking (young college educated Asians) is easier to find in B-ton, whereas Indy is going to have more recent immigrants and refugees, maany of which don't speak very much English. But I wouldn't say the Asian population in Bloomington is "singificantly higher" than Indianapolis. And, thanks to the recent influx of South Indians to Greenwood, there might not even be that big of a differential there either.

That said, I still wouldn't advise the OP to move to Greenwood when Bloomington is an option. Unless you're looking for name-brand shopping and a safe, quiet place to raise kids in good school systems (which it doesn't look like you are), Greenwood is probably going to seem a whole lot more boring than Bloomington.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM

2,801 posts, read 5,877,821 times
Look at it this way. You want to spend 2 hours a day commuting 5 days a week which will make you tired after a long day at work. All to live close to a city where you might enjoy a night out how many times a week?

Live in Bloomington and drive to Indy to enjoy what it has. Live close to work and then dont worry about gas or other commuting costs and spend the extra 2 hours a day in some enjoyable activity. I bet with the decreased costs, you could even afford a hotel room in Indy one night a week.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 AM

27 posts, read 35,549 times
Thank you! I am leaning towards Bloomington now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana