Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 PM

9 posts, read 13,515 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Indiana since I am told they do not require a license or insurance to operate a scooter. (Due to being an idiot when younger, I can no longer obtain a drivers license.) I have never lived in a snowy area and would prefer not to. Where in Indiana is recommended? Thank you.

Also if anyone knows of any other places that do not require a license or insurance for scooter operation, please let me know. I am aware of North Carolina and Virginia so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,481,031 times
Indiana doesnt require a scooter license if it meets certain requirements like Engine size/max speed etc. However your restricted on what roads you can take. For example cops wont give you leeway if your on a highway.

Also if you want you could try getting a drivers license in Indiana due to being in a new state.
The Southern part of the state i would recommend looking into. Around Louisville and also Evansville is a wonderful clean city with good amendities for a city with 125,000 people/300,000 metro.

Southern Indiana gets the least amount of snow but FYI anywhere in the US can get snow so i wouldnt be to worried about it.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 13,515 times
Everything I have seen online states that there is no possible way to get a license after having one revoked in a previous state as they communicate. (My heart still skipped when I read that line though....sigh) If you have any inside information about this or experience I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to be able to legally drive again. Thanks.

In regards to the scooters, I was told by the Indiana DMV that they can't exceed 25mph and you are not allowed to operate them on a highway. I thought interstate but now that I think about it, there are probably plenty of "roads" considered highways in Indiana. I am sure they are in abundance.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,052,831 times
In Indiana, two wheel motor vehicles fall into two categories: Motorcycles or motorized bicycles. Engine size (CCs) and speed (25mph) determine which category the motor vehicle falls into. If it is a motorcycle, then you need a license with motorcycle endorsement, license plate, and insurance. For a motorized bike, a/k/a motor scooter, you just needed an ID card. Note: Lawmakers are in the process of changing the law to require a license, insurance, and plates. Some think they should just require insurance and plates, but allow people to drive them with just an ID card because it will help those in your situation and lower income people who can't afford a vehicle.

Here are the general laws as currently printed on the state website:

IC 9-13-2-109 Motorized bicycle
Sec. 109. "Motorized bicycle" means a two (2) or three (3) wheeled vehicle that is propelled by an internal combustion engine or a battery powered motor, and if powered by an internal combustion engine, has the following:
(1) An engine rating of not more than two (2) horsepower and a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters.
(2) An automatic transmission.
(3) A maximum design speed of not more than twenty-five (25) miles per hour on a flat surface.
The term does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device.

IC 9-21-11-12
Motorized bicycles; prohibitions on operation; conditions
Sec. 12. A motorized bicycle may not be operated under any of the following conditions:
(1) By a person less than fifteen (15) years of age.
(2) By a person who has not obtained an identification card under IC 9-24, a permit under IC 9-24, an operator's license under IC 9-24, a chauffeur's license under IC 9-24, or a public passenger chauffeur's license under IC 9-24.
(3) On an interstate highway or a sidewalk.
(4) At a speed greater than twenty-five (25) miles per hour.

More laws found here:

Indiana Code 9-21-11

Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,052,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpris View Post
In regards to the scooters, I was told by the Indiana DMV that they can't exceed 25mph and you are not allowed to operate them on a highway. I thought interstate but now that I think about it, there are probably plenty of "roads" considered highways in Indiana. I am sure they are in abundance.
You can't drive them on interstates or sidewalks. Highway is defined as any "publicly maintained street/way, including an alley." It is basically the same meaning as "road." I wouldn't drive a motor scooter on the major US highways though, I would use side streets.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM

291 posts, read 945,253 times
This may sound extreme, but I think the age limit should 21 without a drivers license. This would reduce the number of youngsters driving scooters that do not know the rules of the road. If someone has to wait until they are 21, they will be more likely to obtain a license or at least attempt it. Either way they would learn the rules of the road. Man it gets scary when you have a young person pulling out into traffic and not paying attention to traffic. That is how they make angels!
Not to mention the poor driver who hits them. I know if I hit and hurt someone, even if it was not my fault, i would be devastated.

Be safe,
wc@h

Old 04-11-2017, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,804 times
Can you ride a scooter on hwyway 41?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,804 times
Can you ride a scooter in Evansville Indiana on highway 41?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 11,658 times
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to note that the law did change in 2014, requiring a license plate, a street sign test, and either a valid driver's license, a learner's permit or an Indiana ID card with a moped endorsement.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 AM

667 posts, read 2,880,156 times
Have you had a lawyer try and get your license back? I know in Indiana there are several crimes that can be expunged from your record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana