U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 26,376 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are hoping to move to Indiana in the next year or two (job transfer) But I know next to nothing about Indiana
He could relocate to Bloomington, Ft Wayne, Greenwood or Nobelsville.

We have two small boys that we are planning to homeschool, so a community of homeschoolers would be nice. We want at least 2 acres+ of land and housing under $150,000. Also, I'd like to be in driving distance to 'real' stores (supermarkets, drug stores) which for us is 20-30 minutes. Safe is a HUGE consideration. We want a nice community feel.

I've heard great things about Bloomington, but I'm concerned about if he wanted to eventually change jobs there isn't as much there as Indianapolis.

Any advice would be awesome. We're planning on driving out for vacation to check out where we will move this fall, so trip advice would be welcome too.

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 01:53 PM

8,495 posts, read 11,131,036 times
Bloomington would certainly be a fit in many ways: homeschooling community, safe, driving distance to stores (you can get from one side of Monroe County, at least north/south in about 30 minutes. I drive it daily so know. East/west is a bit trickier, but there are fine stores on both sides of town.)

Having previously been in real estate, I think you would be hard pressed to find something decent on two acres or more under $150,000. Almost anything you find will be a fixer-upper, pretty old, or a manufactured home at that price point. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, but it helps to know that you're looking for a needle in a haystack. I just checked this because I was curious. There are exactly two houses you might consider that are not manufactured. Both are old and need work. There are an additional two or three, but they are in the path of a new highway that will be built over the next few years. Bloomington is one of the more expensive real estate markets in the state because it is a great place to live. Prices here are higher than the Indianapolis area (with some exceptions) which includes Noblesville and Greenwood. My advice would be to look at some houses online and see which area has the most houses that meet your needs.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 PM

What about Spencer In or Morgantown ? They are close to bloomington (or atleast 'seem' close) are they ok? There seem to be a lot of houses there that fit the bill, but I know nothing about commuting/traffic compared to here.

Oh and where is the new highway going to be built? Thats great information thank you!

Last edited by dakotabluebaby; 05-19-2012 at 10:29 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 AM

8,495 posts, read 11,131,036 times
Spencer is actually much closer to Bloomington than Morgantown, at least it's much easier to get to B-ton from Spencer. The roads into Morgantown are slow and curvy and mostly one-lane each way. I would choose Spencer before Morgantown.

Not knowing where "here" is I can't comment on traffic/commuting. It's not bad in my opinion.

Look up I-69, Indy to Evansville. The maps of the new highway are on the government website. After it gets to SR 37 in Monroe County/B-ton it will generally follow 37. Spencer is in Owen County so there is no concern there. Construction is underway in Greene County and should reach Monroe in the next year or so. The further north one goes on 37, the less concrete the planning is. Section 4 into Monroe County is fully planned and funded. The state is considering Section 5 (thru Monroe into Morgan County) right now. The debate is where entrances/exits, overpasses/underpasses etc will exist.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:33 PM

40 posts, read 80,104 times
Totally depends on where you're moving from, and who you are "culturally", I guess. Bloomington has a lot of great rural areas around it, if you want some land, and plenty of stuff to do with the university being there. Not sure where you'd find that much land in Indianapolis. The Spencer/Morgantown area is pretty enough and close enough to Indy and Bloomington, but you'd be right to homeschool your kids, the schools around there are terrible, and I'm not sure what kind of good community vibe there is around there. (Bloomington has a very active community life, lots of progressive forward-thinking people who really care without being the kind of "in-your-face" liberals who turn some people away. It's a great community overall - I used to live there and wanted to stay, but it's true jobs are limited unless you're affiliated with the university or are in some kind of health care related field. Pretty typical of most college towns.) Fort Wayne seems like it's probably kind of depressed economically. Greenwood and Noblesville seem like boring suburbia to me, though Indianapolis in general is great.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor336 View Post
Totally depends on where you're moving from, and who you are "culturally", I guess. Bloomington has a lot of great rural areas around it, if you want some land, and plenty of stuff to do with the university being there. Not sure where you'd find that much land in Indianapolis. The Spencer/Morgantown area is pretty enough and close enough to Indy and Bloomington, but you'd be right to homeschool your kids, the schools around there are terrible, and I'm not sure what kind of good community vibe there is around there. (Bloomington has a very active community life, lots of progressive forward-thinking people who really care without being the kind of "in-your-face" liberals who turn some people away. It's a great community overall - I used to live there and wanted to stay, but it's true jobs are limited unless you're affiliated with the university or are in some kind of health care related field. Pretty typical of most college towns.) Fort Wayne seems like it's probably kind of depressed economically. Greenwood and Noblesville seem like boring suburbia to me, though Indianapolis in general is great.
Currently We live in Philly, but I'm from NJ.

Culturally? hmm that's complicated, we are 'crunchy' in our parenting, and health views, but conservative politically and Christian, but more middle of the road christian (strong faith, but not dress wearing nor liberal every things 'ok')

I think we want something safe calm with nearby things to do. We love the culture diversity access, but on our terms if that make sense (visitable, but not immersed) we do a lot of the festivals, visit zoos, museums, concerts, local markets.

We would also like a strong community feel (which is totally missing here)

I don't know I think sometimes I want to live 1950's, but able to visit 2012 3 times a week.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM

624 posts, read 1,721,524 times
To be honest, Fort Wayne seems to be what you are describing that you want. Fort Wayne is not depressed by any means economically. It is a city of 255,000 and the 2nd largest city in Indiana. It is large, but it acts as a smaller community. The northwest, northeast, and southwest portions of the city are beautiful and suburban. Fort Wayne Children's Zoo is consistently voted as a top attraction in the state and one of the top children's zoos in the United States. Fort Wayne has plenty of festivals, is officially named "bike-friendly," and has all of the shopping you could want in a city of its size. It serves as the regional city of Northeast Indiana and Northwest Ohio, therefore a lot of events are held in the city. It has a great transportation network and extremely affordable housing. It truly is one of the bright economic success stories in Indiana right now, and even the Midwest.

Just to give you an idea, Allen County (the county that Fort Wayne is located), has grown substantially over the last 30 years. The county population is over 350,000 now and is growing because of the economy. Healthcare in the area is top-notch compared to most cities in Indiana and youth sports arguably has the best facilities in Fort Wayne. Fort Wayne is also known as the city of churches, as you mention religion is very important to you. You will fit right in here!

As for concerts, Fort Wayne is the 2nd best place for concerts in Indiana (behind Noblesville). Fort Wayne has the Coliseum, which is an excellent venue and has seating for thousands of people. Elton John just recently held a concert here.

Also the little towns of Leo-Cedarville, Grabill, and Huntertown are definitely towns to look into, as they are becoming suburban to Fort Wayne. EXTREMELY NICE areas. Trust me on this one

In addition, Fort Wayne was voted one of the best places to raise a family. You can search Google on that one.

In my opinion, Bloomington is very "college-oriented," and you will definitely notice that if you visit there. Traffic is a nightmare during certain weekends with all of the college kids.

Noblesville and Greenwood are good options as they are well-developed and nice. Very suburban. Traffic can be brutal on the growing areas where the transportation network has not been upgraded. Being close to Indy is a good benefit though.

But if you want that big city-small town feel, I would go with Fort Wayne. I highly suggest a visit to Fort Wayne. If you want to know what areas to drive in when you visit Fort Wayne, let me know!! I lived there for over 6 years so I know my way around the city.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM

23 posts, read 73,498 times
I think you should look at Bloomington. Whatever you do don't live in Lafayette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana