Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
They're right, our 20th century horse**** "christian valued" based laws are a big turn off for most major businesses and the youth that follow them.
Just like California's Proposition 8??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 AM
REM

368 posts, read 994,861 times
At least they are debating the topic and it won by slim margins, something tells me if we ever got the chance to vote for it here it would loose by a landslide. Not to mention there are about 1,000 other laws that show how "progressive" california is over indiana, really there is no comparison between the two.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I think the original article is silly. First of all, most companies aren't looking to leave CA in general. Most of them happily put up with all the regulations, taxes and hoop jumping for the climate, prestige, lifestyle, progressiveness, quality of workers the state attracts, etc. Granted, there are some companies that can be more competitive if they relocate or choose to grow out of state. Many of them have moved to Texas or cheap sunbelt areas. This has hardly been the majority of commerce in the state, but this happens anywhere. There are usually neighboring counties, cities, towns that vie for companies through tax breaks in any state...so I view the premise of Indiana being a magnet for Cali companies as silly.

A lot of Californians have relocated to other states in the intermountain west and sunbelt when they hit retirement age. The same thing happens for Midwesterners who move to Florida or Arizona. No biggie IMO.

With that said, and being liberal, I can understand the replies on the web page but at the same time think they are just as silly as the article. The Midwest really does get dissed a lot by the rest of the country and I honestly believe that is because people have never really been there or have just driven through. A lot of rural California and the southwest is "backwater" so people assume the Midwest is just the same or worse.

I think Indiana's assets, like low costs, ample land, nice people, high quality of living, low crime, lower taxes than other areas and 4 seasons are what make people appreciate the state. Of course there are drawbacks like a conservative agenda, but that wave has swept many progressive states around the country as well.

In essence, don't pay mind to people who put down your state. Some people care more about image and living in a highly sought after place and that is their prerogative, plus they are the ones who buy into the California dream image they see on TV and the stereotypes of the rest of the country. But to be honest, the majority of California could be anywhere USA but with palm trees and much higher prices. Only the wealthy live in the iconic "California" areas-near the beach, with city views, temperate weather, etc. The state was a huge destination 20 years ago, but now the economy has hit hard times and doesn't look like it will recover in the near future.

I am sure Indiana will continue to spur it's own growth at healthy and sustainable levels. You have a very liveable state and people who are too ignorant to see that aren't worth responding to.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
BRG ... young man, stop it NOW. Calling for a natural disaster on a state that has absolutely nothing to do with you is uncalled for, rude and shows exactly how immature you are.

Please try to do some growing up on your summer break.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:44 PM

410 posts, read 491,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think the original article is silly. First of all, most companies aren't looking to leave CA in general. Most of them happily put up with all the regulations, taxes and hoop jumping for the climate, prestige, lifestyle, progressiveness, quality of workers the state attracts, etc.
Those are some of the responses when it was posted on tumblr and I do agree those can be pluses: climate = lifestyle, work force and the image (and politics) of working and living in CA.

Quote:
Of course there are drawbacks like a conservative agenda, but that wave has swept many progressive states around the country as well.
I'm not sure how this necessarily a bad thing unless one favors liberalism, which is also an agenda. Just playing devil's advocate.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
You can choose Bloomington, where Indiana University is, if you're looking for a community that's truly comfortable and friendly toward liberal/progressives in Indiana.

The rest of the state, there's a lot of tension with a strong conservative agenda (that people openly and often loudly support.) You will find some liberal pockets of support in the major cities, but the noise and pushback from the conservatives is relentless.

Also note, for years Gov. Daniels has been given positive press for fiscal responsibility... that is, until this year, when $500 million or so in funds has been found to be mishandled. Deloitte is conducting an independent audit of the state's finances.

Personally, I think Daniels has been trying to turn Indiana into Texas. There's very little in the way of regulations, human services, school funding, or a safety net for those who need it.

There's also lots of people here who think small, and that is wearisome too. We have very low voter turnout and very high brain drain - college graduates leave.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM

62 posts, read 169,534 times
Not sure what reason a person would have to move from Cali here to Indiana, other than lower Cost of Living and maybe a better job?? No other reason to tho!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm813 View Post
Not sure what reason a person would have to move from Cali here to Indiana, other than lower Cost of Living and maybe a better job?? No other reason to tho!
ill throw in a balanced state budget and lower taxes if that helps
but one thing that Mitch Daniels did do for a safety net and people forget this is the Health Indiana Plan or HIP. That helps make sure poor people have some degree of health coverage.
If im not mistaken i think its funded by tabacoo taxes. Well thats about to get a nice boost in Revenue due to Illinois raising their tabacco taxes by a 1$ so its cheaper to buy in Indiana now.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
If im not mistaken i think its funded by tabacoo taxes. Well thats about to get a nice boost in Revenue due to Illinois raising their tabacco taxes by a 1$ so its cheaper to buy in Indiana now.
How many packs a day do you smoke?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm813 View Post
No other reason to move from California to Indiana?? Maybe the beaches, the mountains, the weather, the diversity, the huge amount of outdoor recreational opportunities......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana