Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I hope you can give me some thoughts on the status of the RE market in Indiana right now. Here is the situation: My husband's parents are in their 80's and live in Muncie. They own a number of rental properties in the nearby small town of Winchester. It is becoming increasingly difficult for them to maintain these properties, not to mention the hassle of dealing with problem renters and we are trying to convince them to go ahead and put them up on the market. They are thinking they need to wait "until the market gets better", but it is our opinion it is not going to change that much for a good while, and in the meantime their health and stamina is going down. They were all bought cheap, I imagine they are only worth what they paid for them, if that.

Any thoughts or advice? Are they right about waiting? Or what good arguments could we use to help convince them? I'm thinking interest rates may be going up before long, which to me would be a reason to sell now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
They can get a property management company if they don't think they can (or want to) sell or maintain their rentals. Then they don't lose all the income they give up by selling.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
I don't see things getting better at all. Our entire means of government has been borrow and spend by issuing bonds. Most governments are broke, and taxes are at a breaking point. While income taxes may be lower than in the past, all we have seen locally is taxes go up: Property, food and beverage, sales, wheel taxes.

I don't see much bright light for smaller Indiana cities located in more rural areas. Are your in-laws getting Section 8 for any of the property? If so, what %? Right now, in some of these areas, Section 8 might be the only thing worth taking. Some will say that Section 8 renters are horrible in terms of being dirty/trashy, but with current wages vs. rents and housing costs, more and more working two family parents aren't going to be able to afford housing. So either housing has to crash, or rent/house costs have to crash.

If I were them, I would take the money and run. I don't see how anyone wants to be a renter. If your renters stop paying, then you got to evict them, and if you evict them, they may trash the property. What does it matter if you sue them to recoup the damage to the property, they likely don't have any money. Even if you get a garnishment order, it could take years before you are made whole.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Personally, at their age, I would be trying to clean up the estate and dispose of assets like these rather than leave the headaches to the spouse left or the beneficiaries. The problem in these smaller towns is that even with historic low interest rates, no one has the income or the stable job to buy the smaller edge properties.

Tell them not to stress out over getting top dollar but to consider the value of cleaning up their estate for future generations and to have the funds now for their use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana