U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 48,538 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Another post from someone leaving New England! I have been offered jobs in both Pedleton and Muncie (in the healthcare industry). Both are good jobs and we desparately want out of Massachusetts but can't decide which job I should take or should I wait. Here is what we are looking for:

1. ability to buy a 30 or so acre farm for horses for under $350,000 with a decent house (not something falling apart). We want to live within a 20 minute drive of my work.
2. We are politically conservative, but NOT religious, and all of the churches out in the Indiana area make us nervous. We don't want or need to be converted.
3. We enjoy country music, hiking with our dogs, horseback riding, and the country lifestyle, with the opportunity to occiasonally go to a nicer restaurant, movie, or on rare occaisons a bar wtih local musicians or just a place to get a drink after work.

We like Pendleton but I am worried that it's too religiously conservative.

I know no community is going to fit all of our wants. We don't have kids now so schools are not so much of an issue.

As an aside, we love the town of Greensburg. No jobs there for me now. Should we hold out for the Greensburg area or take one of these opportunities.

Also, we don't like cold and snow and get the impression winters in central Indiana area better than the northeast.

Thanks for all your advice. I have been reading the posts getting a lot of information from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 12:24 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,027,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhooople View Post
Hello,

Another post from someone leaving New England! I have been offered jobs in both Pedleton and Muncie (in the healthcare industry). Both are good jobs and we desparately want out of Massachusetts but can't decide which job I should take or should I wait. Here is what we are looking for:

1. ability to buy a 30 or so acre farm for horses for under $350,000 with a decent house (not something falling apart). We want to live within a 20 minute drive of my work.
2. We are politically conservative, but NOT religious, and all of the churches out in the Indiana area make us nervous. We don't want or need to be converted.
3. We enjoy country music, hiking with our dogs, horseback riding, and the country lifestyle, with the opportunity to occiasonally go to a nicer restaurant, movie, or on rare occaisons a bar wtih local musicians or just a place to get a drink after work.

We like Pendleton but I am worried that it's too religiously conservative.

I know no community is going to fit all of our wants. We don't have kids now so schools are not so much of an issue.

As an aside, we love the town of Greensburg. No jobs there for me now. Should we hold out for the Greensburg area or take one of these opportunities.

Also, we don't like cold and snow and get the impression winters in central Indiana area better than the northeast.

Thanks for all your advice. I have been reading the posts getting a lot of information from them.
Greensburg is way too far for you to commute to Muncie of Pendleton. Are schools an issue? If so, try Yorktown or Pendleton .. Muncie schools, save for the Burris Lab school, aren't very good. If not, you should be able to find what you want (land). You may also want to throw in the small town of Lapel.

Good luck, I wish you weren't looking for land because I'd steer you toward my house that's for sale in Fishers. Bummer for me.

Welcome to Hoosier land.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:24 PM

Schools are not an issue, at least right now. I didn't intend to commute from Greensburg but was wondering if I should keep looking for a job there instead and not take either of the jobs in Pendleton or Muncie. I was really wondering what the religious climate is in Pendleton-there just seems to be so many churches, and we are not religious people. Otherwise it looks like a nice town.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhooople View Post
Schools are not an issue, at least right now. I didn't intend to commute from Greensburg but was wondering if I should keep looking for a job there instead and not take either of the jobs in Pendleton or Muncie. I was really wondering what the religious climate is in Pendleton-there just seems to be so many churches, and we are not religious people. Otherwise it looks like a nice town.
There are churches everywhere in small town Indiana. In Pendleton, you have lots of churches along with a couple prisons, and a reformatory. It's all relative.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:05 PM

938 posts, read 2,283,361 times
I would prefer Pendleton myself. Indianapolis is growing out to it but you can still buy a parcel of land. That way you can have your cake and eat it too. Muncie makes for a much longer drive to a nicer restaurant or a night on the town. There is a lot going into the old Fort Benjammin Harrison grounds which aren't very far.
Besides, Muncie has had some tough times economicaly.
Winters have been mild recently but every once in a while you get a bad storm. Nothing like the northeasters you've seen (except for 1978).
Indy (and around it)is a great town. Not too big but big enough and you'll love the Hossier Hospitality.
Now, repeat after me: I hate the Pats, I hate the Pats.
just kidding.
Good luck

Old 09-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input. We are already stocking up on our Patriots gear and can't wait to go root for the visiting team when they come to Indianapolis!!

Pendelton has a prison? Wow-you would never guess that from all of the touchy feely stuff the town has put together in their little community profiles.
Maybe I just notice the churches more in Indiana because there's so much open space. We have them here in MA too but their tucked into villages and not as noticeable. I don't care what people do- I'm a "to each their own" kind of person. Just don't want their views forced on me.

Occaisonal snow storms are great, but 10 plus inches of snow 3-4 times a month? Now that I won't miss at all.

What are the Fort Benjamin Harrison grounds?

Thanks everyone. This is a great forum.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:18 PM

938 posts, read 2,283,361 times
Fort Benjamin Harrison was the home of the Army Finance HQ. The base closed some years ago and the gym, pool, golf course and other buildings were incorporated into the town of Lawrence. It has a state park there as well with a large animal population. Nice lakes, hiking and cycling areas
They were opening restaurants and shopping areas.
The army finance center is still there. It was touted as being second in size to the Pentagon years ago.
All that you will read on these boards about how flat Indiana is doesn't make mention that if you want to see some nice scenery you can take a nice afternoon drive about 60 miles to the south. Southern Indiana is very scenic, not spectacular but very nice.
Hey, you wanna see a church on every corner? Come on down to NC. I'll show ya some churches.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:21 AM

Fort Harrison also has public horseback riding. It's a very nice park.

If you drive down Pendleton Pike (67/US36), there's a stretch between Ingalls and Pendleton that's nothing but prison and reformatory ... a looong stretch. I think the Indiana state women's prison is still there. It means nothing and it's outside town. You won't see it from your back porch on your 30 acre farm!

Go Bears and whoever is playing the stinking Colts!!! We hang our Bears flag every Sunday much to the chagrin of all the fans of the ponies in our neighborhood.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 AM

12 posts, read 22,029 times
Hey TomH~ I live in N.E. too. Was just wondering why you chose IN? Or did IN choose you? So many people are leaving the north it is incredible! FYI~ Domergurl and Southside are two posters that are very helpful and knowledgable. They will tell it like it is. Good luck to you!!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:09 AM

2,801 posts, read 5,823,151 times
Indiana is really no more or less religious than most other areas of the country. Yes, there are a lot of churches but they have been built over a lot of years and many have fairly small congregations. You will not get away from religious people in any rural community since it forms the basis for a lot of groups and is a part of the community support fabric. You can only be converted if you allow it. I would not choose to live in Utah, but if the job required it, the presence of the Mormon Church would not cause me any concern.

I live in Indy and would suggest Pendleton (from your choices). You will be closer to the amenities of Indy (hospitals, specialty shopping, education, etc.) and yet still be in a small town. Very small pretty downtown. Not too many amenities, but the northeast corner of Indy has almost anything you could want. Would not want to live there but we do shop there. Even a Trader Joes and Half Price Books. Plus the luxury Keystone at the Crossing mall.

Check out removed and drill down to the area you are looking for. Also www.realtor.com (broken link).

Land prices are going up fast since people are moving into Fishers in vast numbers and it is between Pendleton and Northeastern Indy. The commute most are willing to endure for jobs in Indy exists to Pendleton and beyond.

I have employees who commute from Anderson to downtown Indy and one woman from Muncie to downtown Indy for years. Not recommended.

Compared to the NE we get less snow. That said our winters are humid and damp with some ice and snow, therefore cold. But even our blizzards seem less powerful than Boston or NY. Watch commutes on the Interstates since they can close due to accident or weather and it seems to happen more regularily. Our summers are hot and HUMID!!! (100% and 100 degrees on a really bad day). We do have four seasons but there are areas with prettier seasons. We live here due to the good jobs we have, low cost of living and taxes, and the easy transportion links.

Last edited by Marka; 09-26-2006 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana