U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2012, 04:27 PM

15 posts, read 5,473 times
Question From Florida wanting to move to Ill or Indi

I am a late 40's single woman who is so tired of Florida. Tired of the crime, lack of jobs, lack of quality guys. Looking to move to Illinois to stay with family until I can get on my feet (legal job is now at 30 hrs and losing my house) but I am not sure if I want to stay in Illinois as I heard the housing and apartment rentals are very high. so here is what I need to know

between Illinois and Indiana'

1. what towns in indiana would be the closest to Illinois nearest to my family in Woodridge?
2. from a girl who has been raised in Florida most of her life which state will have the best weather?
3. which state is better for dating in my age range? Ok I know I am old but I am not dead. lol
4. I like the outdoors which state will have the better things to do outside, more things to do.
5. What are the safer cheaper neighborhoods near Woodridge, Ill.
6. what about Indiana, I heard Hammond was a good place but I also heard it was expensive to rent.
7. Speaking of Renting, in Florida they are pretty lenient due to the foreclosures, how hard is it to rent with a foreclosure looming?
8. Are there a lot of foreclosed homes to rent in either of those states? I would like to rent something less then 1000 a month.
9. what is the food cost, electric, water, garbage, cable, car insurance, rent like? In Florida, rent is about 750 to 1000 for a 900 foot apartment or a house which is two bedroom and one bath. Our electric is about 300 per month but for the few short months it is cold it is about 198 a month. Water here is about 50 to 80 a month, garbage is about 35 every other month but it does not include recycling which is another 35.00 a month, cable (basic bundle) is about 110.00, car insurance is pretty high for absolutely nothing but PIP it is about 90 a month. And my groceries are about 300 to 400 a month.
10 Which state has the better job outlook for someone in the legal or Medical field. Right now I am in the Legal field but my family is allowing me to go back to school for two years to get a degree in the medical field (Radiology topography, I will be 50 by then but I don't look it. I look about 37 so I am hoping that will help in finding a job) as I have not been able to find full time work only part time. How hard would it be for someone of my age to find a job. here is Florida it is nearly impossible as the companies would rather hire two people younger than me with no experience then to hire me at my salary with 10 years experience.
11. I have a choice live with my sister in Illinois and go to school or live with my daughter and her new husband, move to indiana and go to school. I just don't know what to do. Both want me with them but both are hurting financially as well so I need to know which state would be better to start all over again as I have NOTHING here and I cannot stay here anymore.

As you can tell I am very nervous about moving and going back up north. I haven't driven in the snow since I was 17. so stay off the sidewalks. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,648,571 times
well #1 Illinois is the most expensive state in the midwest <mod edit>
#2 Indiana will have very very slightly better weather due to being farther east. if your worried about snow STAY AWAY FROM LAKE MICHIGAN! Lake Effect snow is horrible if you dont like snow.
Illinois <mod edit>is the only state without concealed carry of firearms.
<mod edit>
Indiana will have lower taxes for you. Especially property taxes since they are capped at 1%. <mod edit>
<mod edit> Indiana is very strong in the medical field. especially around Indianapolis and warsaw and near other large cities. Life Sciences and health and law job openings would be concentrated in Indianapolis. However im sure you could find employment to suit you outside of Indiana and even in Northwest Indiana.
Hammond Indiana is a decent city. It has bad areas and good areas. it would be wise to do a crime search on each neighborhood in Hammond and see what type of crime is present and what areas to avoid.

also if you want a higher disposible income and a better chance to get off your feet. Indiana would be the better choice due to lower taxes/cost of living and a better job outlook in Indiana.
<mod edit>

Last edited by domergurl; 08-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: unsubstantiated statements

Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 AM

1,864 posts, read 2,524,830 times
BR, please, cite some legitimate sources. You consistently make these illogical leaps from A to B. Calling IL one of the most hated states in the country is merely your opinion.

A warning to the OP--the above poster is a high school kid from IN with an odd hatred for all things IL. He's never paid taxes, rented or owned a property, lived in IL, etc. Take whatever he says with a grain of salt. He frequently writes stuff here with no legitimate knowledge except what some one told him once.

Weather in NWI, which is the closest area to Woodridge (a western suburb of Chicago), is not significantly different from Woodridge except that NWI does get lake effect snow. Having lived in the western burbs for 15 plus years and NWI for 20 plus years I know this. Lake effect snow is very uncommon in the western burbs.

Illinois has more laws????? WTH?

Job opportunities in radiological topography are likely to be similar. I would give IL an edge though because there are simply a greater number of medical facilities in the Chicago area due to a larger population.

Based upon the requests I see here and what I know being a former real estate agent, very few foreclosed homes are rented in Indiana and that is likely the same for IL. It's a practice that is seen in FL to a much greater extent.

Having changed careers in the past year at a similar age, I had no problems finding a job. I am not in a medical field. I would not let your age concern you.

If I were in your position I would look at the cost of your education. IL offers a option for what you want to study at College of Dupage. College of DuPage - Diagnostic Medical Imaging

Unfortunately Ivy Tech in IN does not offer this degree at any of it's NWI campuses. Scroll to the bottom and you can see the campuses where this program is offered.
Imaging Sciences - Ivy Tech Community College

Something is offered at IU Northwest: IU Northwest: Radiologic Sciences
Again, I would compare the costs and other elements of the two programs and make my decision from there.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM

2,722 posts, read 1,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippie42 View Post
I am a late 40's single woman who is so tired of Florida. Tired of the crime, lack of jobs, lack of quality guys. Looking to move to Illinois to stay with family until I can get on my feet (legal job is now at 30 hrs and losing my house) but I am not sure if I want to stay in Illinois as I heard the housing and apartment rentals are very high. so here is what I need to know

between Illinois and Indiana'

1. what towns in indiana would be the closest to Illinois nearest to my family in Woodridge?
2. from a girl who has been raised in Florida most of her life which state will have the best weather?
3. which state is better for dating in my age range? Ok I know I am old but I am not dead. lol
4. I like the outdoors which state will have the better things to do outside, more things to do.
5. What are the safer cheaper neighborhoods near Woodridge, Ill.
6. what about Indiana, I heard Hammond was a good place but I also heard it was expensive to rent.
7. Speaking of Renting, in Florida they are pretty lenient due to the foreclosures, how hard is it to rent with a foreclosure looming?
8. Are there a lot of foreclosed homes to rent in either of those states? I would like to rent something less then 1000 a month.
9. what is the food cost, electric, water, garbage, cable, car insurance, rent like? In Florida, rent is about 750 to 1000 for a 900 foot apartment or a house which is two bedroom and one bath. Our electric is about 300 per month but for the few short months it is cold it is about 198 a month. Water here is about 50 to 80 a month, garbage is about 35 every other month but it does not include recycling which is another 35.00 a month, cable (basic bundle) is about 110.00, car insurance is pretty high for absolutely nothing but PIP it is about 90 a month. And my groceries are about 300 to 400 a month.
10 Which state has the better job outlook for someone in the legal or Medical field. Right now I am in the Legal field but my family is allowing me to go back to school for two years to get a degree in the medical field (Radiology topography, I will be 50 by then but I don't look it. I look about 37 so I am hoping that will help in finding a job) as I have not been able to find full time work only part time. How hard would it be for someone of my age to find a job. here is Florida it is nearly impossible as the companies would rather hire two people younger than me with no experience then to hire me at my salary with 10 years experience.
11. I have a choice live with my sister in Illinois and go to school or live with my daughter and her new husband, move to indiana and go to school. I just don't know what to do. Both want me with them but both are hurting financially as well so I need to know which state would be better to start all over again as I have NOTHING here and I cannot stay here anymore.

As you can tell I am very nervous about moving and going back up north. I haven't driven in the snow since I was 17. so stay off the sidewalks. LOL
1. Just about anywhere in Lake County
2. The area is all right there, the weather on the Illinois side will be the same weather the Indiana side has.
3. Illinois definitely but if you are close to the state line, it really wouldn't matter as far as locale.
4. Illinois offers more outdoors with Chicago. There is a lot of border crossing between the two when it comes to that. The only waterpark is in Merrillville while Six Flags is up by the WI border in Illinois. South Suburbs and NWI generally goto Indiana beaches and North and West burbs tend to go to Chicago or up further north into Lake County, IL. While you do have Indiana residents going to Chicago beaches and Chicago residents going to Indiana beaches, as far as beach, the Indiana side is better and a lot of people partake in Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
5. That's a question for the IL forum (Chicago Suburbs). They will be able to answer that better.
6. South Hammond is OK, north Hammond eh. NWI isn't what I would consider apartment heavy. While there are some apartments and some decent ones within your price range in Munster and Schererville which is where you would probably want to focus if living on the Indiana side.
7. Not that much different than Florida. It's pretty much by credit rating and how much of a deposit you will have to pay.
8. Don't know, you would have to ask a NWI realtor
9. Food prices are about the same. Indiana might be a little cheaper than Florida for electric. NWI pretty much has NiSource for both Gas and Electric. In Indiana/Illinois it's normally not the electric that gets you, it's the natural gas in the winter that kills you but NiSource is the highest utility in the state but should be comparable to Fl (dependent upon which area of FL you are referring to)
10. Illinois has the better job outlook over NWI. NWI while some white collar jobs exist, bread and butter is heavy industry and manufacturing.
11. Top to bottom, Indiana is cheaper than IL but Indiana will get you esp. with license plates and mandatory emissions testing. I'm not sure if IL has mandatory emissions testing to even be able to get a plate.

Either way, there is ample movement across the invisible line on a daily basis. While Illinois would be more expensive, it's not so much that you would be like dang for everyday living. Gas is a little more expensive on the IL side and housing prices are generally more expensive on the IL side. Food pricing, restaurant, etc. are all about the same.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
1. Just about anywhere in Lake County
2. The area is all right there, the weather on the Illinois side will be the same weather the Indiana side has.
3. Illinois definitely but if you are close to the state line, it really wouldn't matter as far as locale.
4. Illinois offers more outdoors with Chicago. There is a lot of border crossing between the two when it comes to that. The only waterpark is in Merrillville while Six Flags is up by the WI border in Illinois. South Suburbs and NWI generally goto Indiana beaches and North and West burbs tend to go to Chicago or up further north into Lake County, IL. While you do have Indiana residents going to Chicago beaches and Chicago residents going to Indiana beaches, as far as beach, the Indiana side is better and a lot of people partake in Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
5. That's a question for the IL forum (Chicago Suburbs). They will be able to answer that better.
6. South Hammond is OK, north Hammond eh. NWI isn't what I would consider apartment heavy. While there are some apartments and some decent ones within your price range in Munster and Schererville which is where you would probably want to focus if living on the Indiana side.
7. Not that much different than Florida. It's pretty much by credit rating and how much of a deposit you will have to pay.
8. Don't know, you would have to ask a NWI realtor
9. Food prices are about the same. Indiana might be a little cheaper than Florida for electric. NWI pretty much has NiSource for both Gas and Electric. In Indiana/Illinois it's normally not the electric that gets you, it's the natural gas in the winter that kills you but NiSource is the highest utility in the state but should be comparable to Fl (dependent upon which area of FL you are referring to)
10. Illinois has the better job outlook over NWI. NWI while some white collar jobs exist, bread and butter is heavy industry and manufacturing.
11. Top to bottom, Indiana is cheaper than IL but Indiana will get you esp. with license plates and mandatory emissions testing. I'm not sure if IL has mandatory emissions testing to even be able to get a plate.

Either way, there is ample movement across the invisible line on a daily basis. While Illinois would be more expensive, it's not so much that you would be like dang for everyday living. Gas is a little more expensive on the IL side and housing prices are generally more expensive on the IL side. Food pricing, restaurant, etc. are all about the same.
Gas is not just a *little more expensive*
I watch Gasbuddy.com and i have seen a 20-30 cent difference on the state to Cook County.
lets say the OP drives 15k miles in a year and their vehicle gets 20 MPG average.
thats an extra 225$ spent per year in gasoline. I've also seen more extreme differences too.
now lets compare property taxes. cause Illinois will lose at this regard.
in Chicagoland property taxes can run upwards of 5% depending on the school district. Indiana has a cap of 1% on property taxes. Income tax is also 1.6% lower and Lake County doesnt have the optional income tax either.

either way its up to the OP if she wants to get more bang for her buck and be able to get a job without losing alot of her income to taxes.

Last edited by domergurl; 08-06-2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: corrected Cook County

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,243,624 times
I vote you stay with your sister in Illinois.
Your daughter and her "new husband" need time to settle in to being married.
Best of luck!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,746,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Gas is not just a *little more expensive*
I watch Gasbuddy.com and i have seen a 20-30 cent difference on the state to Cook County.
lets say the OP drives 15k miles in a year and their vehicle gets 20 MPG average.
thats an extra 225$ spent per year in gasoline. I've also seen more extreme differences too.
now lets compare property taxes. cause Illinois will lose at this regard.
in Chicagoland property taxes can run upwards of 5% depending on the school district. Indiana has a cap of 1% on property taxes. Income tax is also 1.6% lower and Lake County doesnt have the optional income tax either.

either way its up to the OP if she wants to get more bang for her buck and be able to get a job without losing alot of her income to taxes.

However, Cook County has excellent public transportation and many residents take the Metra to work.
This is a huge savings advantage that Indy doesn't have.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
However, Cook County has excellent public transportation and many residents take the Metra to work.
This is a huge savings advantage that Indy doesn't have.
depends on where you live.

not all the metra trains service every neighborhood

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,746,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
depends on where you live.

not all the metra trains service every neighborhood

Frequent Metra rider here, and I know that between Metra, CTA bus and rail most areas are covered.

And buses and trains accomodate bikes, so you can always peddle to the nearest station.

There is a user-friendly website to plan your route: Deprecated Browser Error

Many employers in Chicago area send a shuttle bus or van to pick up employees at the stations.

Chicago's public transportation is light years ahead of Indy's.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Frequent Metra rider here, and I know that between Metra, CTA bus and rail most areas are covered.

And buses and trains accomodate bikes, so you can always peddle to the nearest station.

There is a user-friendly website to plan your route: Deprecated Browser Error

Many employers in Chicago area send a shuttle bus or van to pick up employees at the stations.

Chicago's public transportation is light years ahead of Indy's.
Chicago also has 6X more people to move around.
If chi-Town tried to do it all by car well.... there is atlanta to give you an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana