U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 9,470 times

Advertisements

We're looking at eventually moving out to Indiana on 19th September, visas have now been approved. I have been trying to secure rented accommodation and have hit a problem of having no social security number. I understand that we cannot apply for this until we actually arrive.

My husband will be working in Columbus. We were looking at renting in Greenwood. Where do we apply for our Social Security Numbers? Do we do it locally or in Indianapolis. Does anyone have any idea how long it would take for them to come through as it could get quite costly living in a hotel for all that time

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM

2,334 posts, read 1,460,485 times
You might want to check out this link, especially under "How can I get a Social Security number and card?" This is specifically for non-citizens.

Social Security Publications

Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,200,243 times
There's a social security office here in Columbus. I'd imagine there would be one in greenwood too.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks Ischyros......wish I'd had that knowledge a couple of weeks ago I would have thought that the Lawyers in Chicago could have mentioned something when they sorted out our visa application. It would have been much easier to do at the same time.

Hey ho, back on the hunt for another apartment complex unfortunately the one I wanted can't help us

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM

Have you looked in Columbus? There are some lovely new units called The Cole. And our former city hall has lovely converted units with all utilities included.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,336,954 times
Check in on corporate housing. For a few months or longer they supply furnished apartements and should work woth you on not having a ss number.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 AM

2,334 posts, read 1,460,485 times
From what I understand, and I could be totally wrong, a social security number shouldn't be needed to get housing or a drivers license or anything. In fact, I don't think they will give you one just to get a drivers license. Social Security numbers are basically just for employment to collect certain benefits. Again, I'm not sure exactly how it works because usually an apartment complex will use your social security number to do a credit check.

Yeah, I did see that the best time to request the number or fill out the paper work is when you apply for your visa. I was surprised they didn't mention it then, too, especially if they knew you were coming here for a job. You really shouldn't need a SS# to rent an apartment. But if you do stay in a hotel, look for ones with weekly rates, like an Extended Stay America or Studio Plus. I'm sure there are other hotels that offer weekly rates that are usually much cheaper than paying nightly rates.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Thanks for your replies folks. It turns out that it was just 'company policy' of the apartments I wanted to rent regarding the Security Number. We did look at the corporate housing option but think we may be sorted now with our second choice - will find out tomorrow hopefully.

@ Domergurl - is The Cole up and running now - they were still building/converting it when we were over in May? I know doing anything over the internet without seeing it is risky, but I certainly don't like websites with just CGI images. At least the one we're hoping to sort tomorrow we did in fact visit when we were out, so we have a better idea of what we will be getting

23 days and counting

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM

You could check these out too:

Historic City Hall Loft Living Apartments | Columbus, IN 47201

The Cole is not up and running yet. But they seem to be well on their way ... maybe by year's end?

Have you thought about renting a house? I can put you in touch with someone ...

Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM

We have looked at house rental, but struggled to find any in Columbus apart from one via my husbands job which I didn't like. There seem to be a lot more available in Franklin/Greenwood, but again we were advised the particular areas were not so good.

Would certainly be worth considering. Could you DM me more details asap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana