Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 AM

316 posts, read 660,622 times

Advertisements

Probably for the good, Trader's Joe has been in the news recently on allowing GMO foods in their stores and looking the other way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 946 times
We need a Wholefoods and trader Joe's in Bloomington! I think Bloomingfoods is a nice idea but the produce is never fresh enough the choices are very limited and it is more expensive than Wholefoods. We need an alternative to Bakehouse for baked goods. Bakehouse is great but always limited.
No brioche anywhere, Challah only on Fridays (not a big deal)

Pain du quotidien would be great! but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Eastcoaster in IN; 02-14-2014 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 02-14-2014, 07:36 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoaster in IN View Post
We need a Wholefoods and trader Joe's in Bloomington! I think Bloomingfoods is a nice idea but the produce is never fresh enough the choices are very limited and it is more expensive than Wholefoods. We need an alternative to Bakehouse for baked goods. Bakehouse is great but always limited.
Don't think it will ever happen since Trader Joe's is SO selective about where to put any new store.
There are larger metro areas that have requested a TJ with no success. Link below about TJ.
Since a good portion of Bloomington's population are students, that leaves a big gap of customers
when school is not in session.
Then there was Angel B's ( a small bakery that made cakes and had a small assortment of
desserts) couldn't make it and closed.
Would it be nice to have TJ as an option? Sure. Would it be nice to have more choices for
breads? Of course.
The people of Bloomington can go to Trader Joe's website and fill in a store location request
but again - TJ is very picky regarding locations.

Interesting that Trader Joe's is owned by a German company.
Inside the secret world of Trader Joe's - Aug. 23, 2010

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 02-14-2014 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,034 times
Default Oh, THAT German company

"Interesting that Trader Joe's is owned by a German company."

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news...ortune/]Inside the secret world of Trader Joe's - Aug. 23, 2010

Then I hope that you are not too surprised to learn that the German company to which you make reference is ALDI's.

NRS

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
^^^^No surprise since I read the link I posted - and the topic was Trader Joe's. Also, the chances of Whole Paycheck
coming to Bloomington is pretty slim too.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
Oh Yeah, I've tried Sahara Mart and the Farmer's market. I think Sahara is okay (although I am a bit unsure how fresh the stuff there and the expiration date of the packaged goods). The Farmer's market is great, but the selection is limited. Trust me, if Trader Joe's opens one in Bloomington, Bloomingfood will go out of business. Their price level is like outrageous compared to even places in New York or San Francisco!
Trader Joe's is NOT a healthfood store. They have expanded their offerings to accommodate a change in consumer interests over the years. But it began in southern CA as a liquor/beer/wine distributor-they got good prices from europe [hence the german thing] and could eliminate the middle man and offer lower prices. [they distribute and sell their products]. Eventually, the added european cheeses and speciality items and over time grew into what it is today. But it's not and has never been a 'health food store', which is also why the GMO issue is not that much of a focus for them.

Half of their stuff, while delicious, is not healthy at all-lots of prepared, high sodium frozen and canned foods, etc. They are an awesome store, no doubt, and have some organic and a growing selection of healthy foods as this consumer interest grows. Anyway, it's a common misperception that TJ's is a health store and is often compared with WF. Totally different. In fact, WF is more like a gourmet grocery store than a health food store now, in many places, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana