U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,662 times

Advertisements

ok, Here are the facts/timeline:

- Fired on 08/17
- Filed unemployment
- Approved by state
- Employer filed appeal
- Appeal Hearing (By phone) on 10/22 at 11am
- Got no call by 11:10
- Called Judge's office
- found Employeer requested continuance on 10/18 to 11/12(?!?!?!?!?!)

I have not ever filed unemployment before, I am new to this process. I also have now been terminated for 9 weeks and have yet to get a dime. Is it legal for the employer to file a continuance that is this far out? I would understand later this week but 3 more weeks seems a bit intense.

Is there a way I can request the state to begin paying benefits now, and if for some reason my appeal finds me not approved for benefits then what they have paid me just be an overpayment?

I am open to any ideas at this point. Thanks for any help available!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM

8 posts, read 46,383 times
Indiana unemployment insurance is one of the worst in the nation, bankrupt (before the recession, IN reduced the unemployment insurance tax on business, reducing the amount in the fund available to workers who needed it), underfunded, understaffed, high turnover, you get the picture. If you were initially approved by the DWD, then you have a good chance of winning the appeal. But it looks like your employer is buying time. Yes they can request a continuance, some judges will allow it, some won't. Just keep in contact with them, make sure your address is clear/updated (post office does not forward their mail), be polite to the clerks/staff, keep dates and times clear (confirm them), read paper work carefully.
You can request the state begin paying benefits, but that would never, ever happen. I've seen people wait months, lose their home, car, credit and made penniless waiting on unemployment, which may or may not be granted. Find other means, reach out to family, trustees, sell assets, etc, while waiting if you have to. Good luck! -from a former DWD employee

Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,386,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison001 View Post
Indiana unemployment insurance is one of the worst in the nation, bankrupt (before the recession, IN reduced the unemployment insurance tax on business, reducing the amount in the fund available to workers who needed it), underfunded, understaffed, high turnover, you get the picture. If you were initially approved by the DWD, then you have a good chance of winning the appeal. But it looks like your employer is buying time. Yes they can request a continuance, some judges will allow it, some won't. Just keep in contact with them, make sure your address is clear/updated (post office does not forward their mail), be polite to the clerks/staff, keep dates and times clear (confirm them), read paper work carefully.
You can request the state begin paying benefits, but that would never, ever happen. I've seen people wait months, lose their home, car, credit and made penniless waiting on unemployment, which may or may not be granted. Find other means, reach out to family, trustees, sell assets, etc, while waiting if you have to. Good luck! -from a former DWD employee
One thing to keep in mind is reducing the tax helps the business climate and helps job creation.
So its a trade-off.
On one side you lose some benefits. on the other side though you will have an easier time finding a job.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,938,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
One thing to keep in mind is reducing the tax helps the business climate and helps job creation.
So its a trade-off.
On one side you lose some benefits. on the other side though you will have an easier time finding a job.
There are ZERO benefits. Having bad unemployment insurance for your citizens just gives the unemployed less of a bargaining chip when deciding whether or not to accept a new job. Every time I hear a conservative talk about hurting workers for the benefit of "Job Creation," my head spins. I really hope that when you move to Indianapolis and go to college, you take classes and meet people that open your mind up about a whole host of issues. If you don't, you are going to find it difficult to ever become mayor of Indianapolis, which I believe you said was your goal.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 19,282 times
Four years later from the OP and the process has only gotten worse. I worked for 2 years, got really ill, was denied disability through my employer but was still ill. Attempted to go back to work but kept missing days because I was sick. I followed all protocol. Got let go. Filed for unemployment, got denied as they said I was unable to work. Okay. Started working again with a new employer. Got let go, and unemployment found the reason was unjust but still would not give me benefits because they said that i did not attend a class for benefits the last time, even though A. they denied me for those and B. I notified them that I was working. So attended the class and still no benefits...after trying to contact them for weeks, found out that they needed paystubs from my last employer. Okay. faxed them in. A week later, still no benefits. Only to find out out that they had not processed the incoming fax. Now I finally get one week of benefits and when I contacted them to find out where the rest of mine was since I applied the first week of Jan, I was told they only pay for the week after you attend the class and I need to file an appeal for those other benefits. Really? Really?
So frustrated at this point. I sent in the appeal as directed but what is up with this process. I have not received any notifications on any of this. I only keep finding out things after I continually call or go to the chat. Can I just say Aaaaaarghhhh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana