Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM

323 posts, read 939,749 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Michiana area and I want to try riding the train from Southbend to Chicago for the first time this weekend. What I'd like to find out is how is the parking over by the South Bend Airport? Are there any good free or cheap places for overnight parking near by? Or anything that I could access by bus to get to the airport?

The reality is even if I pay $15 or $20 it may be worth sparing myself the frustration of driving. If I can figure out a convenient place to park and get to the train I may do that more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I've never had an issue with the train parking at the airport for the south shore. I thought the commuter lot at the airport was super cheap. I've never paid for than a couple bucks to park at the airport on a day trip.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
There is no offsite parking near the airport, but there is an 18-hour lot/cell phone lot on the east side of the parking area at the airport. Parking there is only $1 for the day with an 18-hour limit.

The last time I took the South Shore, which was years ago, only 2 cars made the trip from Michigan City to South Bend so you need to make sure you are on those two cars. I imagine they still do this but I'm not sure.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 AM

144 posts, read 342,241 times
The last time I took the train to Chicago, about 6 months ago I only paid around $10 for parking less than 200 yards from the terminal and we were parked for 3 nights. If I remember correctly there were 3 cars for passengers. Once we hit MC it started to fill up fast. I don't know if they raised their prices or we just got lucky that we didn't have to pay for extra days, but I think they recently started charging more.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 PM

323 posts, read 939,749 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. I wish I had more time to take a "test run" trip to Chicago before then, but since I can give myself about a 6-8 hr time window before a flight out of O'hare in a couple weeks I'm going to try the train from SB that day.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Are you going to take the blue line to O'Hare after the South Shore?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I dont know if the OP will be back but I must be missing all the cheap parking at the airport. I have taken the South Shore twice and both times it cost me 20 dollars to park. I really didnt find taking the train to be cost effective, just less hassle verses driving to Chicago and parking there.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I dont know if the OP will be back but I must be missing all the cheap parking at the airport. I have taken the South Shore twice and both times it cost me 20 dollars to park. I really didnt find taking the train to be cost effective, just less hassle verses driving to Chicago and parking there.
If you can't find it, go to the website, South Bend Airport | Allegiant | Delta | Continental | United | Regional Airport | Michiana | South Shore | United Limo, click on Parking Transportation and Amenities, then click on Lots and Prices or Parking Lot Diagram and look for the 18-hour lot. It's only $1 with an 18-hour time limit and no overnight parking. If you really can't find it, as you come in from Lincolnway West, you're forced to turn right. When you then get the option to either go left toward the terminal or straight, go left toward the terminal and parking. The 18-hour lot is the third drive on the left. You'll know it because it's the only one without a ticket gate.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
For one person, the train to Chicago is definitely cheaper than driving, at least for a day trip. A round-trip ticket at about $22, plus $1 to park at the SB airport in the 18-hour/cellphone waiting lot, is less than the cost of gas and tolls to the Loop area. And unless you are going to visit friends and park for free in their driveway, parking anywhere in Chicago will cost at least $10. The parking garages near Millennium Park are nearly $30 for the day.

It takes longer and is less convenient than driving, plus it's often jam-packed with riders, especially for special events. But it is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana