U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 43,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianstudent View Post
Hi, I am an international student. I am checking Vincennes U, can anyone tell me about this town, about the education quality, weather, transportation and crime and safety. Thanks for your help
Educational quality: A high school drop out can get into Vincennes, and you can major in John Deere Technology
Weather: Cold winters, hot summers
Transportation: I have no idea other than to tell you that there is nowhere to go in Vincennes anyways.
Crime & Safety: I'd say it's pretty safe. People keep their doors unlocked down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 43,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceMom View Post
At the other end of the state, you could check out South Bend, Lafayette or or Valparaiso. South Bend is home to Notre Dame and is a decent-sized town. Lafayette (home of Purdue) was ranked in the top ten places to live in the country by Money magazine in terms of overall quality of life. Valparaiso (home of Valparaiso University) is a smaller town, but only an hour from Chicago. I used to live in Indianapolis but now am in Valpo and find the small town atmostphere so pleasant. We have great schools and plenty of shopping here but then just an hour away is everything the city of Chicago has to offer (museums, restaurants, theater, etc.) The real estate prices can't be beat, either. A lot of Chicago commuters here. It's the best of both worlds!
Speaking as a current VU student let me clarify a few things. VU is completely disconnected with the city of Valparaiso. It's a long standing joke that there are college towns and then there's Valparaiso... a town that just happens to have a college in it. The construction is god awful, but within a few years it will pay off. If you are looking for a school with great educational value Valparaiso University is an excellent choice, but if you are looking to party (VU is a dry campus and the city just imposed a smoking ban too) I'd look elsewhere.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:53 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,856,102 times
Another thing about VU that I found strange (I taught at the law school briefly), is that the students drive everywhere, even from class to class! It's not a walking campus, which I think really takes away from the experience. I went to a small liberal arts college near Fort Wayne and then on to IU Bloomington and loved walking everywhere.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 PM

83 posts, read 358,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMcNasty View Post

Terre Haute on the other hand has inexpensive housing out the bottom and drinks are literally the cheapest anywhere in the United States (1cent beer and 75cent wells can be had on Thursday) and certainly the cheapest I have ever encountered. College sporting events are cheaper/free to attend (where you can watch ISU defeat IU in basketball, haha) and there is an engineering college for those people that want to make money and aren't doctors or lawyers. You are a 3 hour drive from Chicago and St. Louis and 45 mins from Indy and can make trips to Purdu or Bloomington to party with friends. BUT meth addicts WILL break into YOUR car once (statistically) over a 4 year period. Unless you live way out on the east side of town (in the Village Quarter).
This must be a joke, Terre Haute is the absolute WORST college town in the entire state of Indiana. Besides the absolutely HIDEOUS campus, lack of college atmosphere, TERRIBLE sports (isn't the football team like 2-44 over the past 4-5 years), the ENTIRE CITY STINKS, thanks to a refinery located in town. Looking for good nightlife? Nope. Attractive people? Nope again. Great college atmosphere at a place you'll want to take your kids back to for my homecomings? Nope yet again. TH and ISU are absolute holes that are one step above Vincennes on the Indiana college town/campus totem pole.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 103,494 times
two more thumbs down on TH from me. The previous poster said that it may be one of the worst college towns in the state, I would go as far as saying the entire midwest. There might be a trashy community college in the projects of chicago or something that would come close to it, but I don't know. Over the past 10 years TH has went from a not so bad place to be to one I would never reside. I will however say that the drinks are very cheap.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM

763 posts, read 2,225,208 times
As a University of Illinois grad that can't stand IU (two words: Eric Gordon), I have to admit that Bloomington beats West Lafayette and South Bend hands down in terms of pure college towns (where the town's activities truly center around the university as opposed to the university merely being located there). Purdue and Notre Dame have nice campuses, but the towns surrounding them leave something to be desired. IU, on the other hand, has a great atmosphere coupled with a beautiful campus. Valpo has the best location in the sense that it's a quasi-suburb of Chicago, but I wouldn't define it as a college town.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:19 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,856,102 times
Don't be bitter about Eric Gordon .. y'all will be fine without him!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 26,435 times
IU/Bloomington is great for college kids, but West Lafayette offers more for adults raising families in my opinion. The school (WLSC) is unsurpassed, industry and biomed offer additional employment resources than just the university. There is an energy here that is palpable, if you live in West Lafayette proper, of enthusiasm for kids and opportunities and sports, of success in work, and stability in family. The school's kids are success oriented, in whatever endeavor they are in, but with balance... Sports, arts, academia. Low crime. Many people pursue higher degrees while raising kids.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 PM

5,865 posts, read 7,085,877 times
ibydesign--I've lived in B-ton as a student and now as an adult with children. My husband and I could have moved anywhere in the country. We choose to make Bloomington our home. I think those things you feel are lacking in Bloomington for adults and families are definitely found in abundance in Bloomington. Probably the one exception is the decline in manufacturing jobs here. Cook--a major biomedical company is headquartered here. They opened a new division in the last three years also located here. Baxter has an office here. Boston Scientific also has a plant nearby, not to mention United Technologies (formerly Otis Elevator) Crane Naval Base is also close enough to draw employees from Bloomington. Employment goes far beyond the university.

The opportunities for families and children are endless--both competitive team sports and recreational teams are abundant in everything from the usual to the more unusual like track or diving. Children can take instrumental or vocal music lessons, dance classes, special science seminars, etc. at the university or take advantage of the many talented artists offering private lessons. Families may visit the Fine Arts musuem or the Mather musuem for free. A hands on children's science musuem is located downtown. Often there are more opportunities in a single weekend than one can enjoy.

Schools throughout the county offer a top notch education.

Bloomington is also consistently rated as one of the top retirement communities by a variety of magazines,etc. Our older citizens find much to do here with enrichment classes offered by IU and Ivy Tech, events at the School of Music (many are free), a reasonable cost of living, volunteer opportunities, outdoor recreation areas, etc.

Plus Bloomington is a heck of a lot prettier than W.Lafayette.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,922 times
Default terre haute rules

yea i live in Terre Haute and personally i love it screw all you people in lafayette, bloomington, and everywhere else. what do you guys got that we aint got. so what it stinks sometimes on the south side of town why dont you take time to recognize the things that are good in Terre Haute. and realize that it is progressing. Hulman feild is about to start flying out commercial flights and Honey Creek Mall keeps on growing we are getting a new hilton etc. so dont bomb on a city that you probably dont know much about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or