Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
64 is a much nicer road than 65. I think it's because 65 is a direct route to Indy and it's distribution hubs, and up to Chicago and vice versa. I'm guessing there's less freight moved between Cincy and St. Louis via 64.
I-55 North of Springfield, Illinois is really nice and smooth, probably because you're getting close to the Illinois State Capital, otherwise, I-55 is worse than a cow path.

Not that this has anything to do with I-65, but some states just aren't investing in infrastructure repairs like they did years ago, because they just don't have the money to fix what's broken.

If the government doesn't get busy fixing roads and bridges, look to more bridges collapsing like I-35 in the Twin Cities in the coming years.

35W Bridge Collapse LIVE VIDEO ACTUAL Minneapolis Minnesota - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
The worst interstate I have ever had the displeasure of driving on is I-75 in between Detroit and Cincinnati. All of it. I know they've spent money to rebuild parts of it but it was at one time a special class of terrible.

I'll give an honorable mention to I-70 between Indianapolis and Terre Haute, though it has never been as bad as 75 at its worst.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
64 is a much nicer road than 65. I think it's because 65 is a direct route to Indy and it's distribution hubs, and up to Chicago and vice versa. I'm guessing there's less freight moved between Cincy and St. Louis via 64.
Yes, I live just a mile off of I-64 and it's not nearly as busy. I assume its mostly beause there simply aren't as many people that live along it. Really just louisville and St. Louis over a 300 mile stretch (plus Lexington and Evansville I guess). I know you get some Cincy traffic too, but it doesn't quite compare to having louisville indy and Chicago over that same distance with Nashville also just down the road. I also agree there isn't nearly as much truck traffic, but it's still enough for me. I-65 is the worst, and I hate that the speed limit drops to 55 as far north as it does.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Don't want to upset you. live in IN myself.
And yes, I drive a semi..... And you really notice the holes.
You can see where they tossed some asphalt in a hole, in about half a day the hole is back and you can see the black stuf laying on the shoulder.
For many years AR was the worst, until Clinton became president and the new governer took charge.

But what interstate is worse according to you?
I-75 in Kentucky to Knoxville, TN
I-64 in Kentucky to West Virginia charleston area
I-77 especially in West Virginia south to North Carolina.
out of those 3 I-75 has been the worst in certain areas.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAltimoreman View Post
I-75 in Kentucky to Knoxville, TN
I-64 in Kentucky to West Virginia charleston area
I-77 especially in West Virginia south to North Carolina.
out of those 3 I-75 has been the worst in certain areas.
I 64 has been redone the last few years I 75 agree, some pretty bad old concrete.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:21 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
Cars 70 Semi Trucks 65 MPH. I dont know if the unitended consequence is to keep trucks in the right lane but I think it may do just that. I drive I 70E out of Indy alot. After MT Comfort to Greenfield the right side of the road is a battlefield while the left side of the road is smooth. Ive also noticed this in stretches of I 65S between Chi and Indy. Indy is a Hub (crossroads of America) and gets alot of Semi Truck traffic. We will take the economic activity that generates but dont care much to be speding tax dollars to keep the roads up.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
65 is horrendous in certain spots, the worst is 65 north of the borman exit and cant forget the stretch of dead trees between newton and jasper counties that's just depressing. A lot of salt in the winter and upkeep not keeping pace with the deterioration.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Think Snow.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
65 is horrendous in certain spots, the worst is 65 north of the borman exit and cant forget the stretch of dead trees between newton and jasper counties that's just depressing. A lot of salt in the winter and upkeep not keeping pace with the deterioration.
Lots of washboarding on the roads in NW Indiana due to all of the truck traffic heading to & from Chicago. Just the shear volume of traffic alone hinders the upkeep of the Interstate.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Lots of washboarding on the roads in NW Indiana due to all of the truck traffic heading to & from Chicago. Just the shear volume of traffic alone hinders the upkeep of the Interstate.
Borman upkeep has always been decent as they repave every few years. 65 North of the 94 interchange is just blatantly ignored. After the ridge road exit where you hit Hobart heading east, 65 North is all Gary until its end at 12 & 20. While there's a lot of truck traffic coming from USS and the mini mills around there, the state purposely chooses not to do anything about it, just like 12 & 20 (until the state through a bone to repave parts of 4th and 5th avenues downtown) which are designated US highways and not city. Same issue with Cline. It's not Gary, Hammond, Whiting or EC's responsibility, that's a state highway and is the state's responsibility but yet more than willing to pay for part of a highway and bridge in Kentucky using hoosier taxpayer dollars for another state than to replace the Cline Avenue bridge. It's horrendous policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana