U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,316,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
NO! You don't want to come here if you are a teacher. This state is awful for teachers. There are so many teacher colleges here that not only can you not find a teaching job here, you can't even find a job that pays a living wage. I have been back here for three years and have yet to even receive an interview for a job that pays above $10 an hour. Coming back to Indiana was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
Quote:
Well, I am sure the few teachers who find jobs in Indiana are happy because at least they aren't unemployed in this state. I don't know though. Of course for each position in Indiana, there are at least 2000 applicants. I even know that in some places in Indianapolis are receiving up to 600 applicants per position. A friend of mine applied in one of the worst neighborhoods in Indy and was told that they received 600 applicants, so that is where I got that number.

These should answer your question. There are demands for teachers in North Dakota.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,515,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
These should answer your question. There are demands for teachers in North Dakota.
And Alaska (seriously)!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:20 AM

798 posts, read 2,319,148 times
This is the state job bank for Indiana teaching positions:

https://dc.doe.state.in.us/doeonline...nk/search.aspx

Read the position opening, research the school on GreatSchools, pull up Google Maps to see where it is, and then research your apartment/housing options on Craigslist.

If you didn't get your Indiana certification yet, call the DOE and see what you need to do.

In this market you really need to have your certification in hand before applying for jobs (although if you apply for the last minute openings in the second week of August, you have a greater likelihood of being hired with an out-of-state license/emergency permit.)

Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 AM

4,885 posts, read 5,316,332 times
Quote:
NO! You don't want to come here if you are a teacher. This state is awful for teachers. There are so many teacher colleges here that not only can you not find a teaching job here, you can't even find a job that pays a living wage. I have been back here for three years and have yet to even receive an interview for a job that pays above $10 an hour. Coming back to Indiana was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm not sure what FACS is, but in general Indiana is similar to most states in that budgets have been hit hard in the past few years. Jobs might be found in some very small districts (read rural) and in a few of the urban districts such as Gary, Hammond or IPS, but your areas of specialization are not in high demand (although I don't know what FACS is). The other issue you will have is a masters degree. School districts tend to hire those with a BA or BS because the starting pay is lower than one with a masters.

Good luck.
Finding a teaching position in Indiana is VERY DIFFICULT. With the current link to teaching jobs
just posted, I would have to say "you better hurry."

Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM

52 posts, read 150,071 times
Kokomo Center School Corporation in Kokomo Indiana is looking i think for a FACS teacher. There hasnt been one on the middle school level at any of the 3 middle schools for a couple years now, and they are looking Im almost positive.

Info about Kokomo: Population is almost 60,000 and a lot of things to do, if none of those tickle your fancy though then its only ~20 miles west of Marion, ~55 miles north of Indianapolis, ~60 miles east of Lafayette/West Lafayette, and ~12 miles south of Peru. Fort Wayne is only about 70 miles, and Chicago is somewhat close, and Detroit, Dayton, and Toledo are also nearby.

Eastern Howard Schools for Greentown just 8 miles east of Kokomo is also looking for one of those positions as well.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 PM

67 posts, read 110,658 times
DO NOT move to Indiana for a Teaching position. You will be sad.

IU, ISU, Purdue, IUPUI, IPFW, etc. pump out thousands of Teachers every year. IU-Bloomington had its highest Education enrollment EVER this past year. I don't know the exact numbers but there were THOUSANDS of Elementary Education majors at graduation this year.

I got a long-term sub job when I graduated at the same school I did my student teaching but they didn't have any permanent openings(in fact they were getting rid of a teacher).

Class sizes are getting out of hand and they are going to longer days and less recess time(at least in Bloomington). You are required to be at school from 730-430 EVERYDAY and you start at 31k. That will put the "Teachers get paid really high and only work half days" myth to bed real quick.

All of my job offers and prospects have been in different states. None of my friends that I graduated with have found jobs in Indiana. They got them in Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio although they admitted it was because they had connections there. I don't want to make those states sound better for Education because I don't think they are.

If you want a guaranteed job look at Las Vegas. It might not be the most desirable place ever but I was offered a position over the phone after a 15 minute interview at a pretty good school.

Maybe look at Tennessee, too. Cheap cost of living, mild winters, and its free to get a License.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:40 AM

23 posts, read 46,132 times
I am quite shocked because this is not what I wanted to read about the teaching job market in Indiana.
My wife and I are both teachers in the Dallas, TX area. We both teach Spanish, and I am also certified for Biology. Over here is not very difficult to find a teaching job for an experience teacher, especially in certain high-demanded areas.
Our idea is to try move to Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville...) in a couple of years. I always have seen job openings in the school websites, and I never thought that after we get our license, the job search would be a problem...but I may be wrong.
Any other idea or point of view? I really appreciate all feedback, but also I don't know if all the opinions in this forum are people who really know the teaching job market. If someone know the job market there any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 AM

7,445 posts, read 9,240,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandoyanez View Post
I am quite shocked because this is not what I wanted to read about the teaching job market in Indiana.
My wife and I are both teachers in the Dallas, TX area. We both teach Spanish, and I am also certified for Biology. Over here is not very difficult to find a teaching job for an experience teacher, especially in certain high-demanded areas.
Our idea is to try move to Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville...) in a couple of years. I always have seen job openings in the school websites, and I never thought that after we get our license, the job search would be a problem...but I may be wrong.
Any other idea or point of view? I really appreciate all feedback, but also I don't know if all the opinions in this forum are people who really know the teaching job market. If someone know the job market there any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I think the responses you've received are mainly from people that do know the job market for teachers in Indiana. Just because you don't like what you've read here does not mean it is inaccurate. I've had a life-time teaching license in Indiana for more than 20 years. It goes unused now.

The thing to remember about teaching positions is that anyone with a child in school has easy access to information about job openings, etc. Any tax payer that is concerned about schools keeps up with school related issues. In districts such as those you mentioned there are hundreds of applicants for each open position. I don't know the actual numbers of new teachers graduating from Indiana colleges and universities yearly. I do know that there are more graduates than job openings throughout the state. I also know that IU-Bloomington is consistently a top-ranked School of Education. Most recently it was the top rated Big Ten school and recently ranked 11 among public universities. I also know that my sister-in-law and myself were given interviews (and jobs in other states) specifically because we were IU grads. You will compete against those graduates.

I'll explain this again. School districts are working with very, very tight budgets. Contractually there are minimums that districts must pay teachers. The numbers that follow are for example purposes only. A newly graduated teacher might make $34,000/year. A teacher with a BA and 5 years of experience might make $38,000/year. That same teacher with an MS and 5 years experience might make $44,000. When the budget is very tight, which teacher do you think the district will hire? It's been this way for decades in Indiana, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Another thing that will make it more difficult is the change in licensing requirements in Indiana. It will be easier to get a license here making the competition even greater.

It's a bit easier to get a job on the elementary level as a generalized classroom teacher rather than secondary level. In Indiana, Spanish is not a required subject thus there is a smaller demand and need for Spanish teachers. Biology is required and thus there are more positions.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 AM

67 posts, read 110,658 times
Quote:
Thanks

Quote:
I think the responses you've received are mainly from people that do know the job market for teachers in Indiana.
Yeah, because a recent Education graduate from IU would be clueless when it comes to the job market in. EDUCATION related jobs. Good lord.

Look, the facts are the facts. Monroe County(Bloomington) won't be adding anyone that already doesn't have a job in the corporation. They are over staffed Teachers. Someone will be losing their job. IPS is cutting teaching positions. And the burbs' of Indy have limited openings.

You have to remember, when most people transfer here for a job they settle in Fishers, Carmel, etc. They bring with them a spouse who wants to work in those schools. My cousin just got engaged to a man from Carmel. She has the same outlook you do. Oh I will just move to Carmel and there will be a job waiting for me. Yeah, we all have the same logic. I thought because I was graduating from IU-Bloomington I would have all kinds of offers from schools in Indiana. I have a lot of connections in Indiana. I worked on the DAC so I have a letter of rec from the Dean himself. I haven't got ONE CALL for a job in Indiana. Not one. Same with all of my friends. Only one graduate from IU in the last 2 years that I know ended up finding a job in Indiana and it was part-time.

You would think they would be hiring grads of the systems they know. At our career day there were Principals there from Kokomo, Evansville, Bedford, Bloomington, Indy, Noblesville, Carmel, etc. Not one person got a position from that. Come to find out, most were there just to give us interview experience. No jobs.

As I mentioned, all of my job interviews and offers have been out of state. Any friends that found jobs moved back close to home(out of state) and found work there. I am shocked that you would leave Texas to move to Indiana when you both have jobs there and they are easy to get.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 PM

23 posts, read 46,132 times
Thank you for all the responses. I was not trying to offend anyone, I was just looking for accurate information, and after reading all the comments, the situation does not look very good.
We are trying to move north because is closer to my wife's family and we both like Indy. Here we have jobs, but still.....is Texas...
Every year I check, and every year there are openings in all schools, of course I don't know how many people apply to each position, but at least I have that hope.
Thank you all for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana