Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times

Advertisements

I would want a warmer place to live, Virgina, Maryland, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 04:04 PM

66 posts, read 121,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightz View Post
Its a funny world isn't it. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. The OP may love Eastern TN.

I have been in Knoxville for about a year, we are moving back to Indiana this summer. I don't find TN weather to be much of an improvement over Indiana. Yes, it doesn't snow as much, but I found the gray, chill drizzle that constitutes a Knoxville winter to be much worse than snow. It rains an unbelievable amount here.

We do agree on one point, Bloomington is a great place to live and would be a fantastic place to retire.

I do agree that Knoxville isn't a HUGE improvement but it's still better. The COL is better to. Maybe not in Knoxville but parts outside of it. I have family that purchased on Cherokee Lake and got a house 3 times as big as in Indiana for not much more. Their utilities are actually less even though the house is 3 levels.

Yes, Bloomington is fantastic. It's so fantastic that this is where all the homeless people of Indiana live it feels like. Bloomington is very generous to the homeless(if that's for the good or the bad that's for you to decide). I don't encounter many but for anyone moving to B-town be advised to never walk the trails alone(especially females) because the homeless like to setup shop right along the trails and there have been attacks before.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM

196 posts, read 696,746 times
Bloomington has a lot to offer, but if a politically conservative locale is high on your list it may not be the best fit. It's probably one of the most liberal towns in Indiana.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
good to know....I've heard Ashville, NC also had alot of homeless (and quite aggressive). Also a very liberal spot. If you can't use the hiking trails for fear of getting attacked, that is a big negative to me.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Come check out Columbus Indiana!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
How comically paranoid are we when Bloomington of all places is considered scary because of homeless and trail attacks?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
good to know....I've heard Ashville, NC also had alot of homeless (and quite aggressive). Also a very liberal spot. If you can't use the hiking trails for fear of getting attacked, that is a big negative to me.
I've been on some of these trails near Asheville personally and have yet to come across someone running out of the woods with a jingling change cup and hickory stick. You'll do just fine.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightz View Post
Its a funny world isn't it. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. The OP may love Eastern TN.

I have been in Knoxville for about a year, we are moving back to Indiana this summer. I don't find TN weather to be much of an improvement over Indiana. Yes, it doesn't snow as much, but I found the gray, chill drizzle that constitutes a Knoxville winter to be much worse than snow. It rains an unbelievable amount here.

We do agree on one point, Bloomington is a great place to live and would be a fantastic place to retire.
This has been a very wet year for TN (as I understand it's been a very wet year for a lot of places) so I don't know that I would find that to be typical.
Wondering the OP might find the Johnson City area of TN to be worth considering or if it is too small?
You can't beat the scenery and the opportunity for outdoor activities and festivals.
Warning: Flaunting gorgeous pics from my favorite CD photographer
http://www.city-data.
miscellaneous NE Tennessee pics...

Weather wise it's a bit cooler and less humid than many other area of the southeast because of the higher elevation
(Quick comparison: Bloomington @ 745 ft, Knoxville @ 889 ft, JC @ 1635 ft, and Asheville NC @ 2134 ft)
The higher elevation also means that more of our winter 'wet' falls as snow instead of rain. However it does not usually stick around for long, typically isn't a problem for driving unless you live on back roads, and in 5 years here I have yet to use a snow shovel, usually I just sweep away what little snow there is with a broom.

Oh, and I lived in central Indiana as a kid, still have family there. I could never go back and live there again. Just too flat and not enough lakes and streams and creeks for me.
Attached Thumbnails
retire to Indiana?-004.jpg  

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelhuck View Post
I think Indiana meets most of your requirements. Except, the seasons are extreme. You'll see temps from 20 degrees in the gray of winter to 95+ humidity in summer. The further south you go (bottom 1/3 of state) the less snow you'll have.
The temps often get a lot lower than 20 in the winter. Single digit temps, while not an every day occurrence in winter, are certainly not a rarity in January and February. Sub-zero temps happen from time to time. I do remember the all time low, back in the late 80s, when it got down to negative 36 where we lived!!! (New Whiteland, a little south of Indpls.) THAT low is indeed quite rare for Indiana.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM

66 posts, read 121,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
How comically paranoid are we when Bloomington of all places is considered scary because of homeless and trail attacks?
I don't think anyone said Bloomington is a "scary" place. But Bloomington does have an above average crime rate, a gigantic homeless population, and there are attacks on the B-Line. Either you don't live in B-Town or you don't like facts. Either way, Bloomington is nice and doesn't feel or look like a place to fear for your safety. Just always be aware when walking down the trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana