Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,946 times

Advertisements

Gary Charter Schools serve students who reside in Gary, Indiana, United States. Though operated by different corporations, all current charter schools in Gary are sponsored by Ball State University.

To whom it may concern
10/4/2013 9:54:10 PM

Not sure if I am reaching out to the proper official, but I am giving it a try. My name is Darlene Reed. My son’s name is Damontae Reed. He attends the Gary Lighthouse Charter School 3-7 grade.

Usually I would start my letters with announcing how my expectations of a school exceeded the norm. But this is not the case. While my son attended this school he received 2 suspensions. The first suspensions, I reached out to all the staff that was reachable. Simply inquiring why my son was suspended. The least information I received thus far, is my son was being rude and dis-obedient. I had an informal conference, with no information provided. However, before I left the meeting, I made sure my contact information was correct and emphasizing how important it was to me, to be informed about my son’s conduct etc. In addition, while attending the “Parents Meeting” I made sure each teacher understood my concern, including the Principle. Lastly, I requested documents regarding his suspension. I never received any documents regarding my son’s first suspension nor a phone call. The least I received was, “I was busy, I forgot to send the documents home”.

Today, October, 04, 2013I received a phone call from Ms. Creach stating that my son was suspended for 5 days as a result from fighting with another student. While on the phone I begged her for information regarding the fight. She could not produce any information to me, so therefore I asked to speak with the principle. I was told again, the principle was in a meeting. I was given the option to pick my son up or allow him to receive transportation. My decision was to pick my son up.

I arrived at the school, and begin to ask questions. No one was available to answer to my questions except my son. My son began to explain while crying what took place. Afterwards we left the building.

Arriving home, I questioned my son extensively. Some of the answer I received was very disturbing. Again, I wasn’t able to receive any feedback from a present staff or admin; I relied upon my son’s testimony. My son stated, “He tapped the young scholar on shoulder as an attempt to allow him to proceed to class”. In reaction, the young scholar placed his books on the floor and began to hit my son continually. My son also stated that he began to punch the kid while saying I am sorry I do not want to fight”. As painful it is for me to type this. In addition, my son stated how other students began to punch him in his back!!!

Upon separating the students, my son stated how an admin or staff stated to him, “The other student should not be suspended. His is a good kid”. I have noticed the disrespect giving to the scholars by my own account. But, I figured if this admin had the time to speak with my son about another student, she had the time to contact me. Notice I said she, but withheld her NAME. As an adult, this woman should have set a tone to comfort both scholars, and not degrade a scholar. FYI, she could not degrade my son, his records proves otherwise!! Also my son stated, that a staff or admin said they reviewed the video 5 times and came to the conclusion that my son was at fault. This is another moment where I could have been contacted about my son fighting in school and then left in a room with a bloody lip and a knot on his head (I will provide pictures if needed). But yet this staff member told my son, "I am too busy to deal with you,I have a meeting to attend". Really??? To busy to deal with a 12 year old child in tears!!! Well call his mother!!!

The parent involvement in not mandated here at Gary Lighthouse Charter School. Ex. My son’s first suspensions, I begged the basketball coach to allow my son to try out for the Basketball team. As a parent, I am aware how sports or any activity is vital in a young man’s life; particularly I child that is new within the community. I received a reply stating that my son could try out, but I never received a try out DATE. Also, I asked if it was possible if someone could notify me regarding any ISS my son received. I was notified once. If I may, the second ISS my son received was for being LATE TO CLASSS while changing classes. Something he was trying to avoid today while tapping the young scholar on his shoulder to say excuse me.

My son has never been suspended from school. He attended Oakton in Evanston Illinois and Enders in Schaumburg Illinois Furthermore; he has never been involved in a school fight, except for being bitten by a student in the 5th grade. I am more than excited to provide his behavior records. Lastly, if I am given the opportunity to intervene regarding Damontaes’s unsavory behavior, I am able to correct it properly.

My son was in a fight at school and then insulted by staff!!! I am baffled. I am supposed to wait 5 days to get a report regarding what took place. Please correct me if I am wrong, my son took several blows to his face before he defended himself, as he stated. Again, this matter was recorded; this was told to my son, the proper steps should have been taking. No steps were taking, but a suspension. In addition, my son was sent home without any assignments. As a parent, I will not allow this to take place.
At this point I could care less about my grammar. I need some answers. I will be more than happy to provide pictures and his past records. I believe I sign a form giving my acceptance to release his records.

P.S
I was contacted a couple of hours after the fight…While my son sat in the class feeling famished and unwanted! What a culture shock..I will write these letters all weekend until I reach the proper official with feedback. Also, I hope I am able to save a parent and her child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameania View Post
Gary Charter Schools serve students who reside in Gary, Indiana, United States. Though operated by different corporations, all current charter schools in Gary are sponsored by Ball State University.

To whom it may concern
10/4/2013 9:54:10 PM

Not sure if I am reaching out to the proper official, but I am giving it a try. My name is Darlene Reed. My son’s name is Damontae Reed. He attends the Gary Lighthouse Charter School 3-7 grade.

Usually I would start my letters with announcing how my expectations of a school exceeded the norm. But this is not the case. While my son attended this school he received 2 suspensions. The first suspensions, I reached out to all the staff that was reachable. Simply inquiring why my son was suspended. The least information I received thus far, is my son was being rude and dis-obedient. I had an informal conference, with no information provided. However, before I left the meeting, I made sure my contact information was correct and emphasizing how important it was to me, to be informed about my son’s conduct etc. In addition, while attending the “Parents Meeting” I made sure each teacher understood my concern, including the Principle. Lastly, I requested documents regarding his suspension. I never received any documents regarding my son’s first suspension nor a phone call. The least I received was, “I was busy, I forgot to send the documents home”.

Today, October, 04, 2013I received a phone call from Ms. Creach stating that my son was suspended for 5 days as a result from fighting with another student. While on the phone I begged her for information regarding the fight. She could not produce any information to me, so therefore I asked to speak with the principle. I was told again, the principle was in a meeting. I was given the option to pick my son up or allow him to receive transportation. My decision was to pick my son up.

I arrived at the school, and begin to ask questions. No one was available to answer to my questions except my son. My son began to explain while crying what took place. Afterwards we left the building.

Arriving home, I questioned my son extensively. Some of the answer I received was very disturbing. Again, I wasn’t able to receive any feedback from a present staff or admin; I relied upon my son’s testimony. My son stated, “He tapped the young scholar on shoulder as an attempt to allow him to proceed to class”. In reaction, the young scholar placed his books on the floor and began to hit my son continually. My son also stated that he began to punch the kid while saying I am sorry I do not want to fight”. As painful it is for me to type this. In addition, my son stated how other students began to punch him in his back!!!

Upon separating the students, my son stated how an admin or staff stated to him, “The other student should not be suspended. His is a good kid”. I have noticed the disrespect giving to the scholars by my own account. But, I figured if this admin had the time to speak with my son about another student, she had the time to contact me. Notice I said she, but withheld her NAME. As an adult, this woman should have set a tone to comfort both scholars, and not degrade a scholar. FYI, she could not degrade my son, his records proves otherwise!! Also my son stated, that a staff or admin said they reviewed the video 5 times and came to the conclusion that my son was at fault. This is another moment where I could have been contacted about my son fighting in school and then left in a room with a bloody lip and a knot on his head (I will provide pictures if needed). But yet this staff member told my son, "I am too busy to deal with you,I have a meeting to attend". Really??? To busy to deal with a 12 year old child in tears!!! Well call his mother!!!

The parent involvement in not mandated here at Gary Lighthouse Charter School. Ex. My son’s first suspensions, I begged the basketball coach to allow my son to try out for the Basketball team. As a parent, I am aware how sports or any activity is vital in a young man’s life; particularly I child that is new within the community. I received a reply stating that my son could try out, but I never received a try out DATE. Also, I asked if it was possible if someone could notify me regarding any ISS my son received. I was notified once. If I may, the second ISS my son received was for being LATE TO CLASSS while changing classes. Something he was trying to avoid today while tapping the young scholar on his shoulder to say excuse me.

My son has never been suspended from school. He attended Oakton in Evanston Illinois and Enders in Schaumburg Illinois Furthermore; he has never been involved in a school fight, except for being bitten by a student in the 5th grade. I am more than excited to provide his behavior records. Lastly, if I am given the opportunity to intervene regarding Damontaes’s unsavory behavior, I am able to correct it properly.

My son was in a fight at school and then insulted by staff!!! I am baffled. I am supposed to wait 5 days to get a report regarding what took place. Please correct me if I am wrong, my son took several blows to his face before he defended himself, as he stated. Again, this matter was recorded; this was told to my son, the proper steps should have been taking. No steps were taking, but a suspension. In addition, my son was sent home without any assignments. As a parent, I will not allow this to take place.
At this point I could care less about my grammar. I need some answers. I will be more than happy to provide pictures and his past records. I believe I sign a form giving my acceptance to release his records.

P.S
I was contacted a couple of hours after the fight…While my son sat in the class feeling famished and unwanted! What a culture shock..I will write these letters all weekend until I reach the proper official with feedback. Also, I hope I am able to save a parent and her child.
You will not get any answers from the school. Unfortunately, Charter schools are largely immune from the same protocols that public schools are. The schools you listed that he attended...I do not know your economic situation but I imagine that if you afford to live in the communities you listed (Schaumburg and Evanston) then you could probably afford to live in a much better school district in NWI. Charter schools in NWI are not going to do anything positive for you. Try moving. Crown Point is a good district and assuming you are in Gary for work reasons, the commute is not bad at all. Good Luck.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
^^^NorthwestIndiana is correct. Private and charter schools can pick and choose students who they want to keep.
Try and get the records and video as well as making an appointment with the principal. Call the office and be firm
that you want to schedule an appointment with him/her. You can directly imply that you will be seeking
an attorney (that might get their attention).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana