Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 15,843 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Bloomington and I am flying out next week to view rentals. Any suggestions on which neighborhoods/areas are best for families? We don't need to be near IU but would like to be in the Jackson Creek Middle School and Bloomington High South districts (looks like mainly east and south sides of town).

Wish List:

1) I would like to be able to have a vegetable garden or at least a number of large pots on a patio for tomatoes and herbs.

2) Families nearby so my son has other children in the neighborhood

3) Roads that are regularly maintained in the winter - salted/plowed.

Any thoughts on the condos by Lake Monroe?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,187,480 times
Rentals in Bloomington are on the high end and renting homes can be expensive. Most apartments
are geared towards IU students. If you are interested in renting a home - a real estate agent might
be helpful or check Craigs list. Many apartments (not all) do charge for water and trash. As for
schools maybe someone else can give you more feedback.

These are near Lake Monroe. It is about a 20 minute drive into town (Bloomington). Best to call
and speak to someone there who can tell you which areas in Eagle Point would be best for
families.
Eagle Pointe Realty ? Bloomington Indiana Real Estate, Buy Sell House, Indiana University, Lake Monroe

Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,242,948 times
I live not far from Eagle Pointe (within walking distance) and am pretty familiar with it. There are some families in some sections of Eagle Pointe, mainly in the areas that are detached homes and duplex-like condos. For the most there are not a lot of kids in Eagle Pointe. When we were moving to B-ton and thought we might need to rent for a few months we looked at a few places there. It would have been a last resort for us. Fortunately we did not need to rent as the timing of our house sale and new home completion worked out for us. Eagle Pointe is kind of hard to describe. It has a kind of weird vibe that I can't explain well. Kind of a party atmosphere, especially in the summer, with some retirees and families tossed in the mix. Each neighborhood in Eagle Pointe is different though, and we've known kids that live there.Despite the fact that it has the closest restaurant/bar to our home, we've only been there two-three times in more than a dozen years. It would not be my first choice.

When I worked as a Realtor in B-ton, everything I listed or sold in Eagle Pointe was from/to people looking for a second home.

BTW--there are other options for finding a rental in the Pointe besides the link above. There is another real estate company across the street from the Pointe and other companies can help you. I have some opinions, based upon personal and professional experiences, about the particular company linked in the above post. I choose not to share those opinions as I feel it is unfair to anonymously post those opinions.

My kids went to JCMS and BHSS. It's been about 6 or 7 years since they were in middle school. Honestly we wanted JCMS when we moved to B-ton. There were some excellent teachers there, but overall JSMS didn't live up to the hype as the best middle school in B-ton in my opinion. It was good, but it just didn't live up to the reputation. My kids would have been fine at Batchelor MS. Since that time the administration has changed, but I always felt like communication was minimal. We didn't care about which high school they attended as both are outstanding. Also do not assume because you can see JCMS from a house or apartment that the kids will attend JCMS. The boundaries are a bit odd closest to the school because of the population.

At this site you can see the boundary maps and enter an address to confirm schools. About Us / Boundary Maps

The roads within the city limits are treated differently than the county roads. The city uses mainly salt. The county uses a salt and sand mixture as the hills require sand. All are plowed--it just depends how close you are to a main artery road as to how long you will wait. The first few winters we were here, we were horrified at the plowing in the county. We were used to how they plow in city limits in suburban Chicago. We've adjusted our expectations. The past few winters our road has always been plowed within 8 hours or so of the snow ending. It's not been an issue for us.

Your question about which areas are best for families is really too broad to answer. My answer would be "every where" except close to campus. That said, there are families that live within 2-3 blocks of campus. Find a place you can afford, you like, and that meets your criteria for housing. If your kid is in MS, it's not like he's going to be outside playing with the neighborhood kids all the time and there are no guarantees he would even like the kids that are nearby. During middle school proximity becomes less of a factor for friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: