Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 04:50 PM

452 posts, read 309,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Funny, mentioning the beaches of Florida. You'd be surprised how when you live in a beach area how very little u actually goto the beach. Grew up a mile from Lake Michigan and after awhile it becomes an afterthought. I travel to Tampa/St. Pete once a month and still haven't been to the beach but have had plenty of time on the sunshine bridge going to Sarasota.
It doesn't matter. The beach is there if you're able to go. I was just saying the "vast nothingness" Toxic Toast proclaimed was avoidable.
I do like that bridge though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 04:59 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape317 View Post
It doesn't matter. The beach is there if you're able to go. I was just saying the "vast nothingness" Toxic Toast proclaimed was avoidable.
I do like that bridge though...
That's avoidable in any major US city. Being up in Boone County is kind of choosing to be around it. You could live in Marion and not ever see a cornfield. Yes there is a vast amount of nothingness in Florida. Travel from Tampa to Sarasota on 75 going around Brandon or St. Pete to Sarasota on 275 taking the Sunshine Bridge you will see NOTHING but vast openness and orange trees. Actually the 275/75 merge in Manatee county you will see absolutely nothing until you reach the University Blvd exit.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM

452 posts, read 309,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
That's avoidable in any major US city. Being up in Boone County is kind of choosing to be around it. You could live in Marion and not ever see a cornfield. Yes there is a vast amount of nothingness in Florida. Travel from Tampa to Sarasota on 75 going around Brandon or St. Pete to Sarasota on 275 taking the Sunshine Bridge you will see NOTHING but vast openness and orange trees. Actually the 275/75 merge in Manatee county you will see absolutely nothing until you reach the University Blvd exit.
It is choosing to, but I lived in Marion County for 15 years. I saw cornfields... in many places. And I know about the nothingness in Florida, I know. I didn't say there wasn't nothingness. I said it's avoidable.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times
You'll see cornfields in Decatur township and a few areas left in Franklin Township. Nothing in Center, Perry, Washington, Warren. You have eagle creek in Pike, and Wayne is pretty much built out at this point until the hendricks county line.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,475,908 times
Quote:
I actually did read the entire sentence.

What's so misunderstanding about it is the way he structured his sentence. I don't know if he arranged the words wrong or used "suggest" incorrectly, but his sentence doesn't physically make sense. Pretty sure we all knew what he meant though.

Your point? Who's just going to go for a ride in the Everglades or in the middle nowhere? Tampa is 20 miles from beaches... Miami is ON the beach... Indianapolis? Nothing but those fields. Chicago? Lake Michigan... yay In Florida, the "vast nothingness" can be easily avoided.
Just becasue you read it doesn't mean you comprehended it. Ah, that darned English language!

[SIZE=3]sug·gest[/SIZE] (sg-jst, s-jst)
tr.v. sug·gest·ed, sug·gest·ing, sug·gests 1. To offer for consideration or action; propose: suggest things for children to do; suggested that we take a walk.
2. To bring or call to mind by logic or association; evoke: a cloud that suggests a mushroom; a ringlike symbol suggesting unity.
3. To make evident indirectly; intimate or imply: a silence that suggested disapproval.
4. To serve as or provide a motive for; prompt or demand: Such a crime suggests apt punishment.

I would argue, therefore, that I my use of the word "suggest" was proper.

As for the Everglades, I've actually gone for drive there just for the heck of it, and I find it pretty fascinating. Just like all of the Indiana corn -- I can appreciate the vastness and majestic beauty of it this time of year. That doesn't mean, however, that I wish to live around it, nor does it mean that I wish to become a farmer. But I appreciate what all of that corn does for all of us, just as I appreciate the mills of NW Indiana, even if they lack aesthetic beauty.

As others have pointed out, including myself, there's nothingness to be found in every state. And I would contend that you can avoid it here as well. You could confine yourself to downtown, Meridian-Kessler, Irvington, Broad Ripple, Fountain Square, or many other neighborhoods in Indy. You could chose to move to Bloomington and choose to never leave the IU campus-Kirkwood areas. I suppose you'll move to Tampa and never leave the city or beach. I choose not to live such a narrow existence. I think living my live in fear and/or hatred of things outside the city limits, or just rural areas in general, would be a horrible existence.

Here's what I suggest -- and I mean this with the best of intentions -- grow up or get help. Long-term I can't imagine it being healthy to be so narrow-minded.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:25 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,583,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Uh, let's see --

Indianapolis
Milwaukee
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Columbus
Cleveland
Detroit
Kansas City (some would argue whether or not it's Midwest)

Not to mention countless other smaller cities like Madison, Grand Rapids, Fort Wayne, Des Moines, etc. Yeah, there's nothing in the Midwest outside of Chicago and the Twin Cities other than farms.

Epic fail.
I am referring to MAJOR cities ; not minor. I don't think people or corporations are breaking there necks to get to those "minor" cites you have mention

Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 AM

797 posts, read 2,326,795 times
Quote:
Are you sure about the SE and SW being the only areas within 465 that have fields? I see fields traveling from Zionsville to Speedway all the time. Alright, now you say that one would be hard pressed to find any farms within the 465 loop.
Okay, so you're telling me that a suburb of any city can't be considered densely populated? That's not right...
Also, 2 or 3 examples of 5-10 acre undeveloped fields is untrue. Just because there may not be buildings or equipment doesn't mean it isn't an active agricultural area.
Zionsville? If you are living in Zionsville, of course you are going to see fields. Zionsville isn't Indianapolis, it's not even in the same county. If you're seeing fields inside of I-465 on that route to Speedway, I'm guessing what you're seeing are open spaces on the properties of Dow Chemical or the refinery, not agriculture. Yes, outside of I-465 on the very edge of the county in the Traders Point area that's over 15 miles from downtown there are some farms, past that is Eagle Creek Park, but beyond that on the way to Speedway is all developed. Although the Tampa metro is a little more populated than Indy, go 15 miles north, east, or south of Tampa and you will find the same kind of mix of development with open fields or swamps.

If you don't like it here that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. My main problem is that you seem to be painting the city as a place with open fields on every other block and that's inaccurate. I've been around all the places you're talking about. If you can look on a satellite map and give me even 3 specific places on the route from Zionsville to Speedway that are inside of the loop and being used for agriculture I would be surprised. I'm guessing the few you could come up with would be small and part of an industrial park or would also be occupied by either radio towers or have a high voltage line running right down the middle of it.

I think there's also a huge communication barrier here. For instance, a college sports town is not the same thing as a college town. The former is a town that has an interest in college sports, whereas the latter is a town that contains a college or university that exerts a major influence on the area and is makes up a significant part of the community (ie IU in Bloomington or even to an extent OSU in Columbus, OH). Also, saying that one suggests you are going to be miserable is not the same thing as someone suggesting that they want you to go be miserable.

There is a lot of corn, soy beans, and other agriculture in IN for sure, but have you even been to other parts of the state that aren't open fields? The Dunes? Bloomington and Brown County? French Lick? The Knobs that run from Louisville to Martinsville? Any of the scenic areas in the hills along the Ohio river like Leavenworth or Madison? The box canyon and waterfalls in Hemlock Cliffs? Any of the thousands of beautiful caves in the southern part of the state? These are all escapes you say can't be found from the cornfields within the state.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,817 times
Quote:
Want to play that game? Alright.
Here's some statistics for you:

Tampa Metropolitan Area Population: 4,228,855 as of 2010 = 10.5% = 444,029 Unemployed
Indpls Metropolitan Area Population: 1,834,672 as of 2010 = 07.8% = 143,104 Unemployed

If Indianapolis had a 10.5% unemployment (same as tampa bay area), the # of unemployed would be approximately 192,640.
Now, what is the population of Tampa divided by the population of Indianapolis?
Now take
The 192,640 from above and multiply that by the 2.305. That's Indianapolis's Unemployment in comparison to Tampa's if Indianapolis had the same population.
Indianapolis's is approximately 444,035
Oh, what's that? That's more than Tampa's 444,029?

You're wrong.
Indianapolis is worse. Barely.
Have a nice day.

It's an opinionated statement I made. Therefore, it IS valid. I find it depressing. So it is, for me. I understand it's not depressing for a lot of people but for me, yeah, it is.

Actually, it's not about the beaches. Did you forget the list I made way back?
You mentioned Tampa and Miami, two places very close to the beach; closer than to those areas of "vast nothingness." So I used the beach because you said there was vast nothingness near both those areas. You can easily avoid the nothingness.

Well, that was a workout...

trying to inflate the population of the metro area lmao. Also should i point out Indy is growing faster than any other major city in the midwest. Indy is also growing FASTER than Tampa FL's metro area. I could also get into the hurricanes debate. Hurricane Charley sound familiar? Tampa is right on the coast so its an easy target for a hurricane. Heck Tampa is rated as one of the top 5 cities for a future hurricane disaster. Indiana is immune to Hurricanes. Sure we may get the rain thats left over but thats nothing compared to the 100+ mile per hour wind and 20 foot surge.

Edit: your just ingrateful of how good you have it in Indiana. all i have to say is Enjoy the deadly heat in Flordia and the Hurricanes/High Property Taxes/High crime/High Cost of living. I bet you wont be able to buy a gallon of milk for $2.50

Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I am referring to MAJOR cities ; not minor. I don't think people or corporations are breaking there necks to get to those "minor" cites you have mention
Actually, there are a lot of Fortune 500 companies based in the cities I listed. Once again, you fail.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,051,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
There is a lot of corn, soy beans, and other agriculture in IN for sure, but have you even been to other parts of the state that aren't open fields? The Dunes? Bloomington and Brown County? French Lick? The Knobs that run from Louisville to Martinsville? Any of the scenic areas in the hills along the Ohio river like Leavenworth or Madison? The box canyon and waterfalls in Hemlock Cliffs? Any of the thousands of beautiful caves in the southern part of the state? These are all escapes you say can't be found from the cornfields within the state.
The biggest downside for Indianapolis, especially those who want to live "urban" is the lack of abundant wilderness/wooded areas with solitude. As you pointed out, Indiana actually has some great wilderness areas, that are in more rural, tranquil places. Unfortunately, most are a decent drive from Indy. A positive about Indy is that you can offset travel costs (basically gasoline costs) since the metro area does have a low cost of living. I love to hike in wilderness areas in the fall. I have made it a goal to get out more on my days off and explore what Indiana offers throughout the state.

Last year was my first ever visit to Fort Harrison State Park. I hadn't ever been to this park, and it is shame since I have always lived within 10 miles of it. It is a very nice park area, and is far enough away from the city center that you do get some peace and quite. Southeastway Park is another place I visited. Again, far enough away from the city center to avoid the constant sounds of traffic, emergency vehicle sirens, etc.. I plan on visiting Southwestway Park and Eagle Creek this year...both places sound similar to Southeastway and Fort Harrison.

For those diehard outdoor seekers, four close parks likely isn't much, but it is something. If one is willing to drive, they open up many other opportunities: Brown County SP, Monroe County, Shades State park, McCormicks Creek SP, Turkey Run SP, and Spring Mill SP. There are some other smaller scale state parks and recreation areas. I wish some of these places were closer than a 60-90 min. drive, but it is what it is. Oh, thanks for the tip about Hemlock Cliffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana