Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorya View Post
I am currently planning my escape. I moved to Indiana from Michigan 20 years ago. I married into it, if you will. Both ended up being a big mistake. At least in Michigan in the winter there was snow on the ground. I know that we get snow here, but it rarely sticks around. Right now it's frozen muck outside, just ugly. Of course being so flat doesn't help matters either. In Michigan there always seemed to be some kind of outdoor fun to partake in. Skiing, skating, snowmobling and countless other things. I guess I just miss any kind of landscape and lakes. I know that there are closed minded people everywhere, but Indiana seems to have more than it's fair share.
I don't care about snow...if there are good jobs, one can live anywhere and enjoy their standard of living. I got laid off last week, so I don't care about the extras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 22,150 times
I live in Greenwood Indiana. Just below Indianapolis. I dont think indiana is that bad. I have live here since i was born.. well i was born in london.. so when i was 3. I have been on vacation all around the US. Indiana has all four seasons! The winter is really pretty and snowy, the spring is nice, bright and there are birds chirping, the summer is usually in the mid to high 80's, and the fall is beautiful. The leaves are very colorful and the weather is usually nice until about Halloween time. There are very nice houses here. We love to have gardens and swimming pools. There are many parks and youth athletic programs. Overall Indiana (Greenwood) is a nice place to live.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyoung View Post
You ought to live in Florida. Wonderful state. High crime, terrible traffic, drugs, child molestors, aliens from everywhere, hurricanes, fires, droughts. Must I go on?! I wish I lived in Indiana!

haha yea i feel that. lived outside of tampa for a while so i know what your talknig about.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Holy Old Thread, Batman!

Yes, I am more depressed in Indiana--due to a lack of interesting things to do or see--than anywhere else I have ever lived. But rather than ask Hoosiers who are happy with this place and their way of life to change, I am simply going to move somewhere that suits me ASAP.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I actually find Detroit to be more depressing.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM

42 posts, read 105,763 times
I am glad for those who like it here in Indiana...I on the other hand have 5 weeks left in this aweful state. I was born and raised here. Have lived in 4 different towns in Indiana (both big and small) but the problem I have is boredom. There just isn't anything to do unless you are spending money at a mall, you can only go to a state park so many times, and in the winter...well it speaks for itself. It is gloomy and depressing. I am just readoy to go somewhere where the sun shines and the people are a little more open minded. I am also looking forward to being in a community where you are in a community. I have been in the same place for 2 years and I don't really know my neighbors. I have tried talking to them...but everyone just stays to themselves. Well enough rambling. If your not happy do something about it. I did!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 PM

231 posts, read 701,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmandy View Post
I am glad for those who like it here in Indiana...I on the other hand have 5 weeks left in this aweful state. I was born and raised here. Have lived in 4 different towns in Indiana (both big and small) but the problem I have is boredom. There just isn't anything to do unless you are spending money at a mall, you can only go to a state park so many times, and in the winter...well it speaks for itself. It is gloomy and depressing. I am just readoy to go somewhere where the sun shines and the people are a little more open minded. I am also looking forward to being in a community where you are in a community. I have been in the same place for 2 years and I don't really know my neighbors. I have tried talking to them...but everyone just stays to themselves. Well enough rambling. If your not happy do something about it. I did!
Just curious, what makes you think because a place is sunny that people will be open-minded???
I keep reading this: People in Indiana are close-minded. In what way are people in Indiana close-minded??? Please give examples!!! Curious minds would like to know

Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeyDuck View Post
Just curious, what makes you think because a place is sunny that people will be open-minded???
I keep reading this: People in Indiana are close-minded. In what way are people in Indiana close-minded??? Please give examples!!! Curious minds would like to know
there are depressed people everywhere ... you are in control of your own bliss.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmandy View Post
I am just readoy to go somewhere where the sun shines and the people are a little more open minded. I am also looking forward to being in a community where you are in a community. I have been in the same place for 2 years and I don't really know my neighbors. I have tried talking to them...but everyone just stays to themselves. Well enough rambling. If your not happy do something about it. I did!
You're doing the right thing. The best decision I ever made was to hightail it out of Indiana the first chance I got! Lots of people will tell you that the grass isn't greener, but I can vouch for the fact that it truly is in some places.

Indiana is great for some people and just plain old wrong for others. There are places in the world and in the United States where you will find what you're looking for; a real sense of community, where the weather is mostly nice, and where there's lots of things to do that don't require a lot of money or a LOT of driving.

You do make your own happiness, and sometimes you make it by moving to some place you like better, rather than just hunkering down and bearing a bad situation.

Quote:
In what way are people in Indiana close-minded?
Now I don't think that everyone in Indiana is closed-minded, but the percentage of far-left or far-right wackos seems higher.

I find that it's not a good idea to talk politics in Indiana. There's enough nutters around that in a room of five people, at least one will be the type of person who wants to see things in a black-or-white good-or-evil dichotomy and insists on enlightening you with their views (which often come word-for-word from talk radio or tv) the second you say something non-sports related.

Then there's a good portion of people who just don't have an opinion to express at all.

As an example, a good friend of mine doesn't care for politics. He says it doesn't do any good debating it, since we don't make the decisions. He'd rather talk about his chickens or the weather, which I appreciate.

Another friend won't let a single word pass by without assigning it to some political category. If it's cold, then obviously global warming is such and such. If it's record high, well then back in January we had a record low, so global warming is such and such. There was a long line at the BMV? Clearly government is such and such. Can't find a job? Well it's obviously due to all those government such and such. With him, and a lot of people like him, anything but agreement (even "I don't know") is a personal affront, and launches them into a crusade to get me to see the light.

Now, there's people like this everywhere, but many places I've lived and visited, the percentages of the lunatic fringe are much lower, and you can have a reasonable discussion of disagreeing ideas without one of these loudmouths butting in and ending any reasonable conversation with a bunch of regurgitated slogans shouted at progressivly higher volumes until people give up and walk away or start a fight.

Due to the favored status of my race and sex, I notice that in jobs and positions of power, the good ol' boy network is much stronger here than in other places. Unfairness and discrimination is much more tolerated in the workplaces I've been. New ideas are less welcome and more often discounted without any consideration of their merits.

Since you asked, those are my examples. There are plenty of open-minded people in Indiana as well who I am lucky to know.

Now maybe I've just been unlucky here and lucky elsewhere, but a general pattern does emerge overall that makes me unable to whole-heartedly disagree when people say that people here are closed-minded. I generally just say that I know some people who are not closed-minded and are really great individuals.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeyDuck View Post

Keep in mind, 'closed-minded' is (in many cases) a way of saying 'conservative.' Reality is that the 'open minded' liberals are the most intolerant of all! Just look at how they malign conservative African Americans and females, especially those females who are... god forbid... pro-life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana