Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I seriously hope you can find happiness somewhere, because between your griping about Indiana and the Kansas City area, one has to wonder.
I just don't really fit in with the prevailing "culture" of the Midwest and South. I am hoping to get a new position in NH as I like it there the best. I mainly moved here short-term to save large amounts of money so I could move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:54 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What makes Indiana depressing? "Camping" camps right at intersections of major state highways, that's just pathetic. Northern half is crowded and "rural" at the same time, if you don't have a 5+ acres of your own you are just locked in your home/apartment cell because public lands are few and far between, "commercial" recreation (other than Wal-Mart & clones shopping) is not abundant either. Small Indiana towns, oh my, it's just as a small Ohio or Southern Michigan towns - pathetic islands of isolation in the middle of corn fields, some towns didn't leave a single square feet of land for common use, if you've got no sizable chunk of land + home for a private illusion, gosh forbid you've lost your commuter job, what would you do in a corn-hole Indiana town? Howling at the moon comes to mind naturally, but what else? Again, bunch of economy vacationers renting 200 square feet of "country" at intersection of two state highways with nothing to do and see for miles and miles, what could be more pathetic?
Good grief! Feel better after all that venting? Sure hope so!

Much of the State of Indiana is beautiful, and there are many pristine parks and beautiful, spacious campgrounds which are NOT right near highways.

I live in NW Indiana, which certainly has its problems (Gary - yikes!), but we've got the Indiana Dunes State Park and Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore - both which have gorgeous, peaceful campgrounds and great hiking trails. There are countless other campgrounds in beautiful places throughout the state.

My small town has about 8 city parks and some beautiful lakes where people can go boating, fishing, water skiing, camping, etc. and none of them is near a highway.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
I am depressed because there are no jobs here. I am giving up looking. I don't see a point. I would imagine states with high unemployment have more depression.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
What makes Indiana depressing? "Camping" camps right at intersections of major state highways, that's just pathetic. Northern half is crowded and "rural" at the same time, if you don't have a 5+ acres of your own you are just locked in your home/apartment cell because public lands are few and far between, "commercial" recreation (other than Wal-Mart & clones shopping) is not abundant either. Small Indiana towns, oh my, it's just as a small Ohio or Southern Michigan towns - pathetic islands of isolation in the middle of corn fields, some towns didn't leave a single square feet of land for common use, if you've got no sizable chunk of land + home for a private illusion, gosh forbid you've lost your commuter job, what would you do in a corn-hole Indiana town? Howling at the moon comes to mind naturally, but what else? Again, bunch of economy vacationers renting 200 square feet of "country" at intersection of two state highways with nothing to do and see for miles and miles, what could be more pathetic?

Maybe you need to see more of Indiana. Southeast Indiana is quite hilly and wooded. One of my friends from Cincinnati owns wooded land in the Dillsboro area. Not many cornfields there.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:35 PM

13 posts, read 34,448 times
Quote:

I 100% agree.
A year ago I came here from Moscow, Russia and now I live in Lafayette, IN. Here is literally nothing to do. I am really shocked how people can live here. They got used to it and don't see other facets of life. Everyone's life dream is just to have a family with 5 children, have a big house. That's ALL. I feel sorry for those people.
Terrain: houses, houses, houses, private lands, corn fields, and some parks which look abandoned. You must have a car to get to all places.
Sorry if I offend someone, but most people here are narrow-minded + a huge bunch of rednecks.
Moving ASAP
Frankly, people are very polite and smile a lot, but so unsophisticated..
Please, don't take offense.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russoz View Post
I 100% agree.
A year ago I came here from Moscow, Russia and now I live in Lafayette, IN. Here is literally nothing to do. I am really shocked how people can live here. They got used to it and don't see other facets of life. Everyone's life dream is just to have a family with 5 children, have a big house. That's ALL. I feel sorry for those people.
Terrain: houses, houses, houses, private lands, corn fields, and some parks which look abandoned. You must have a car to get to all places.
Sorry if I offend someone, but most people here are narrow-minded + a huge bunch of rednecks.
Moving ASAP
Offense taken ... Now be on your way and find your bliss.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
I 100% agree.
Moving ASAP
Sophisticated and Russia huh. Nothing to do with Purdue right there, Indianapolis 40 minutes away, hour away from Lake County and beaches? Sounds like someone doesn't get asked out personally.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Sophisticated and Russia huh. Nothing to do with Purdue right there, Indianapolis 40 minutes away, hour away from Lake County and beaches? Sounds like someone doesn't get asked out personally.
Not 40 minutes, but 1 hour. Not an hour, but 2 hours. Although, it doesn't matter.
It was just my opinion
But you must agree that coming from a 15-million megapolis to this town is a drastic change. Yeah, but my point of view not about whining that I was made to move here. It was about the fact that Indiana compared to the states like California lacks MANY things. Especially, walking is just not supposed to be done here, and there are so many unhealthy obese people.
Btw, I live on the south of Lafayette, which is way far away from Purdue. The university is probably the only interesting place here.
And yeah, Tippecanoe Mall too.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:39 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
Quote:
I 100% agree.
Moving ASAP
It's pretty much like that everywhere in small-town America. even worse here in Houston, there's never anything to do. I am shocked at how people can be living in Texas, let alone smaller states like Indiana. Nevertheless, I'd rather be here than in Moscow, with all the social turmoil and the terroristic acitivites happening there, where one's fate is like the flip of a coin. One day you can be healthy and the next you get blown up while riding subway.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
It's pretty much like that everywhere in small-town America. even worse here in Houston, there's never anything to do. I am shocked at how people can be living in Texas, let alone smaller states like Indiana. Nevertheless, I'd rather be here than in Moscow, with all the social turmoil and the terroristic acitivites happening there, where one's fate is like the flip of a coin. One day you can be healthy and the next you get blown up while riding subway.
Sorry for off-topic. That's not true Moscow is a very nice place, there are not that many horrible terrorist attacks. It's exaggerated. All neighborhoods are safe. Maybe, the worst thing is stress, because of subway, many people and etc. But everything is so walkable, most people don't even have cars. Public transportation is great.
Although, Moscow is not comparable to cities like New York, San Francisco, LA. There is more to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana