Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayloure View Post
Here's my problem with Bideshi's comment. I'm Christian too. I've been saved since I was 7, baptized at 8 , I am straight, and no, I haven't done everything right. But God has called us to 1) be consistent. Now tell me how gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, but premarital sex is. But men are allowed to cheat on their wives and vice versa. But no says anything to the people who get divorced over something like "lack of communication". People continue to lie. You can't say one sin is greater than the other because the Bible says all sins are the same and that all have sinned. God has called us to 2) show compassion. People who are continuously judging other people for other people's actions but want to hide their own actions are doing nothing for the kingdom of God. Don't come on a forum saying God allows you to judge other people when the Bible has already said "he who is without sin throw the first stone". Finally, God has called us to 3) examine OURSELVES. Anytime I think to form an opinion about someone else, I have to take a step back and look at myself. Because the Bible has said once again, "don't focus on the spec in your neighbor's eye, when you should focus on the plank in your own eye".

You can't say that the majority of killings in Indianapolis happened because of gay people. You can't tell me that 1 in 5 Indianapolis children live in poverty because of gay people. So instead of arguing over stuff that's not hurting anyone, we need to focus on problems like the aforementioned which are affecting us all. You might say you don't live in poverty and that doesn't affect you. And you might say you haven't experienced gun violence and that doesn't affect you. Well, you're not gay either, so why let their marriages affect you?

At the end of the day, Bideshi, you have the right to your opinion, and now gay people have the right to get married.
Excellent post.

Thanks for contributing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Because a nation accepting sexual immorality as normal behavior brings the wrath of God on that nation. America is being punished right now, and our troubles will increase and increase until we again recognise that He is God and repent.
Then why not move somewhere else? There are plenty of theocracies out there, and even more countries where same-sex marriage is illegal. That way you can avoid the fire and brimstone.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 14,637 times
I certainly don't care what you do, but if you're legally married, you can legally adopt......and I am firmly set against Homosexuals raising children. Life is confusing enough for children, without a childhood of controversy

Old 06-29-2014, 08:29 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnail View Post
I certainly don't care what you do, but if you're legally married, you can legally adopt......and I am firmly set against Homosexuals raising children. Life is confusing enough for children, without a childhood of controversy
Would you prefer they bounce around in foster care?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:26 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Gay people can already legally adopt even without being married.

Life is only confusing for children without responsible parents and being gay or straight has nothing to do with being responsible.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Bideshi would probably be fine if they outlawed Inter-racial marriage or marriage of people of different faiths..That used to be illegal too, as was divorce.

My partner and I have been together 14 years in a committed monogamous relationship. During that time we know countless heterosexual couples who have divorced, cheat on their spouse, lie to each other etc. It seems to me that those for whom marriage is legal enter into it on whim and haven't done a great job with marriage 50 percent divorce rate?

During our years together we have spend thousands in legal fees to construct corporate entities to protect our assets, update wills constantly as we own property in several states and we carry medical power of attorneys with us when we travel. We pay far more than our fair share of taxes, yet we are not afforded the basic right of marriage.

I might add we are both Republicans and feel that the state government should not be in the business of regulation of marriage, but they are and as a result of that , and the federal governments recognition of that regulation, as taxpaying citizens of the State of Indiana and the United States of America we are entitles to the same equal protection under the law, period. The role of the courts is understand the constitution and make sure it is applied in an equal and fair manner. That is what the do, just as they stopped the bans on inter racial marriage in the 1950's and 60's.

I looked around today...the sky wasn't falling...there were not zombies in the streets. None of the predictions of the religious zealots happened. what did happen is that a lot of people who love each other got married.

Sure there will be appeals but the day when gay people can legally marry in every state is not far away.
And you two voted Republican?!!! Are you crazy? Maybe you deserve your lack of rights?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 AM

9 posts, read 14,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Would you prefer they bounce around in foster care?
No, I prefer they be adopted by a proper family

Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
You completely missed the post that said that kids already can be adopted by gay couples. Marriage has nothing to do with it. These days, any kid that has two loving parents, no matter the sex, is very lucky. There are many straight couples out there that treat their kids horribly or don't really care about them at all. I'm not saying all gay parents are great. I'm saying that having two straight parents isn't exactly the end all be all. And at any rate, it has absolutely nothing to do with marriage.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
I may be inclined to agree with you, but I think your view is unrealistic. If a gay person or couple are able to offer a loving home to a child no one else wants, I think that's better than having them bounce around in foster care or be wards of the state.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Well, governor Pence is saying that marriages preformed legally in Indiana will not be recognized and will treated as if they never happened. Any bets the state doesn't refund these people's money, either?

http://www.wthr.com/story/25977318/2...-gay-marriages

Last edited by ischyros; 07-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana