Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times

Advertisements

Comparing the reaction of a young family moving to Evansville to a middle-aged couple moving to Bloomington is comparing apples and oranges. As MissingIN said, Bloomington and Evansville are very different places--even outside of the city limits of B-ton. I've also found that despite what younger people think, people in middle-age and older are often more accepting of a different culture in a new place. Younger people, such as the person described above, tend to want more of what they know and expect things to be the same in a new place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 03:28 PM

66 posts, read 138,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Of course, Evansville and Bloomington are two very different animals
Yes, I kinda agree with that, although I have never lived in Bloomington or even know anyone who lived there. However, Bloomington is not that far from Evansville and is in the Southern part of the state. Evansville though is kind of stuck down here in the corner all by its lonesome and you know, we are surrounded by cornfields. But that is what makes the deer so fat LOL. Evansville doesn't have any industry or big university to draw a lot of people from diverse backgrounds in. And, to be honest people around here seem to be OK with that. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. Actually, I have heard people say that the Evansville area is a lot different from the rest of the state. I'm not sure why that would be.

I was going to second your opinion about Martinsville in my first post but it was getting kind of long. I have a childhood friend that lives a few miles south of Martinsville and I go up to his place occasionally. Everybody I have met are very nice people in my opinion, I got my 4X4 pickup stuck real bad during a snowstorm last winter and some of the locals went way out of their way to help get it out. We had a hell of of time. But some of them (quite a few actually) are pretty hardcore about some things and I don't see things changing up there in the near future regardless of what some say about the people trying to change their image. Actually, I don't think they think they have an image problem LOL. I know they don't care for Bloomington at all. There is some good deer hunting up there though.

I still think that it will just depend on Ms Chantilly and what kind of person she is. She may hate living in Indiana or who knows, she may like it. Stranger things have happened. I hope things work out well for her though.
Rick

Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 AM

53 posts, read 81,677 times
I agree that it is really about the individual. People who are happy with themselves will find happiness living in most any modern area. I've lived in three different countries and moved over a dozen times during the past thirty years. I can't say that I really disliked living in any of those locations. Each one had unique charactieristics that I like and some that I didn't like. I live my life and let others live their own life. Overall I really couldn't say that any single place I lived was really better or worse than any of the other locations. They were just a different geographic location.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:41 PM

66 posts, read 138,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinlake View Post
I agree that it is really about the individual. People who are happy with themselves will find happiness living in most any modern area. I've lived in three different countries and moved over a dozen times during the past thirty years. I can't say that I really disliked living in any of those locations. Each one had unique charactieristics that I like and some that I didn't like. I live my life and let others live their own life. Overall I really couldn't say that any single place I lived was really better or worse than any of the other locations. They were just a different geographic location.
Very well said and I agree 100%!

Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinlake View Post
I agree with you for the most part. I have lived in 8 different states and I have lived in some states I liked way more than others so it does kinda matter where you live. I do agree if you are a real positive person you will try to make the most of bad situation and if you are a really negative person you will find the bad in every place you live. I kid you not thou some places I hate leaving but I had to because of family or a job and other states I could not get out of fast enough because I didn't like the people or my job. So it can depend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana