U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 8,057 times

Advertisements

You want to move from the warmth to the cold? Dang, I'm the opposite. I'm currently in NW Indiana and I'm planning on leaving for Florida ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 02:23 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,621,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvEllis81 View Post
Thank you. Can you suggest small towns near Indy(about an hr away)? I'm also looking at the school system, what areas have the better schools.
Have you considered Lafayette or West Lafayette? They are about an hour from Indy. Purdue University is in W. Lafayette, lots of diversity.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:28 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,621,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertpaulian View Post
You want to move from the warmth to the cold? Dang, I'm the opposite. I'm currently in NW Indiana and I'm planning on leaving for Florida ASAP.
I grew up in north central Indiana and then moved to south Florida for my job. I've been down here for 40 years and I am so sick of the heat, humidity, mosquitos.....for at least 7 months of the year. I am seriously planning on moving back north. I miss the 4 seasons. We only have two this far south: Summer (hot, wet, stormy) 7-8 months, and 'winter' (a little cooler, less humid and less rain) for about 4-5 months of the year.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:13 PM

11,123 posts, read 7,465,629 times
YOu don't explain why you fell in love with southern Indiana but if you're looking for a big city with diversity other than Indy you need to look at the other side of the state at northwest Indiana (NWI) or the Region. Its actually part of the Chicagoland area and very diverse as far as demographics. There is a NWI section of the forum if you're interested......

Old 01-07-2015, 07:09 PM

18 posts, read 35,265 times
We've been Hoosiers our entire life and moving to a warmer climate soon. Indiana is not tax friendly regardless of what the "studies" say. We have two cars (2 years old and a small hauling trailer) and our car plates costs almost $500.00/year - Each county has wheel taxes they add on to plate costs which helps the cost go up. Also, dependent on where you are at, property taxes can be expensive especially around the "doughnut counties" around Marion (Indianapolis/Carmel area) where they tack on additional taxes to the property taxes to support the sports teams in Indy and their "homes". It is true about the twang you get south of Indy. Columbus is a great "artsy" town with a lot of diversity but housing prices are climbing fast.
All-in-all, we love Indiana and especially Lil' Nashville area but you need more than a one visit to really get the feel of the State and the pros and cons.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:15 PM

19,865 posts, read 14,312,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Actually there are quite a few counties in Indiana that dont have a Wheel Tax. Property taxes in Indiana are the 7th lowest in the nation and even in the Indy metro area the average property tax rate is under 1%. The previous home our family owned in Illinois had a property tax rate of 3.5% and it was going up every year even well the price of our home was going down or holding steady.
Indiana is not a high tax state and it doesn't take a study to confirm that.
Is it as high tax as IL? No...but it's darn sure not cheap on taxes coming from TN.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 PM

47 posts, read 42,068 times
My brother and his wife live in Brownsburg and they love it! It's close to Indy without the Carmel prices. The school is good, too, and from the looks of his street, it is pretty diverse as far as Indiana goes, although his neighborhood might not be a good indicator of the entire town. However, I have to admit, my heart lies with Bloomington (even though I attend its rival school... Ooops.). It has nice small town hospitality without all the small-minded bigotry that tends to go along with small towns. Plus, it's GORGEOUS. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or