U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2015, 12:34 PM
 
272 posts, read 352,448 times
Reputation: 354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It's not exactly a liberal oasis that many assume when they think of a collegiate town.
For Southern Indiana, yes it is, if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,259 posts, read 13,526,401 times
Reputation: 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
For future reference, it's hard for me to take someone all that seriously with a screen name that begins with Toxic...
That's cute.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 03-12-2015 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
5,861 posts, read 7,082,141 times
Reputation: 14068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
No, because I've never lived there..
Exactly. I question the veracity of anything you say in this thread. It's so far off-base that I feel I'm in "opposite world."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It's not exactly a liberal oasis that many assume when they think of a collegiate town..
Seriously? When is the last time you read the local paper? There are times it makes this bleeding heart liberal cringe because of some of things the city of Bloomington does.


And heck, my name doesn't even start with Toxic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Herndon, VA
1,913 posts, read 1,807,969 times
Reputation: 6172
I'm pretty sure most of you have lived your entire lives in Indiana or the mid-west. I have lived on both coasts along with several places in between (three years in Europe as well) and know a liberal town when I see one, and I have to tell you all that Bloomington does not even come close. It is absolutely not a a San Francisco or even an Austin,TX for that matter.

I was born and raised in Indiana and also spent my college years there, so I do know what I'm talking about. My parents live just north of Bloomington in Morgan County, and I have spent many days in and around the Bloomington area. I realize that for you people Bloomington probably does seem like a liberal bastion, because you don't know what one truly is. Live in San Francisco for a couple of years and then come back to this thread. I'm out of this conversation, because you see what you see. And this thread has become a tit for tat rather than trying to help the OP, and you're all butt hurt that I disagree with you.

Honestly, I suspect you don't spend much time in the rural areas in the county in which you live. Make sure you never venture too far out of the city proper, because I'm sure you'll all wet yourself with fear of the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,588,332 times
Reputation: 4778
Southern Indiana in parts is fairly rural and can be country/non progressive, its more like Kentucky than the rest of Indiana. Bloomington IN is fairly progressive thou but only because it has students from all over the world and other parts of the country live in town.. I understand this guy Robert's comments but I still never seen a confederate flag in Indiana.. I almost never see a confederate flag on a truck in Kentucky, thats more common in the Deep South in rural GA, AL, MS its more of a Southern pride thing in general. You see more don't tread on me stickers and flags than Confederate flags in the South these days thou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM
 
272 posts, read 352,448 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm pretty sure most of you have lived your entire lives in Indiana or the mid-west. I have lived on both coasts along with several places in between (three years in Europe as well) and know a liberal town when I see one, and I have to tell you all that Bloomington does not even come close. It is absolutely not a a San Francisco or even an Austin,TX for that matter.

I was born and raised in Indiana and also spent my college years there, so I do know what I'm talking about. My parents live just north of Bloomington in Morgan County, and I have spent many days in and around the Bloomington area. I realize that for you people Bloomington probably does seem like a liberal bastion, because you don't know what one truly is. Live in San Francisco for a couple of years and then come back to this thread. I'm out of this conversation, because you see what you see. And this thread has become a tit for tat rather than trying to help the OP, and you're all butt hurt that I disagree with you.

Honestly, I suspect you don't spend much time in the rural areas in the county in which you live. Make sure you never venture too far out of the city proper, because I'm sure you'll all wet yourself with fear of the right.
Comparing Bloomington, IN with San Francisco, really? REALLY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Herndon, VA
1,913 posts, read 1,807,969 times
Reputation: 6172
LOL...I'm not the only one:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
I live in a town called Bloomington , which I understand by Indiana standards is some sort of liberal oasis in this sea of redneck, retardation that is the Hoosier State. Bloomington is not a liberal city, there is not one gay bar in the whole damn town, yet the local I.U. enthusiasts LOVE to boast how Bloomington has more gay people per-capita than anywhere else on earth.
Quote:
The absolute, very worst and most frustrating part of living in "Gloomington" IN, is: the constant and rigid indoctrination that Bloomington really IS a cool place. The people here defend it with the same reverence, fear and awe displayed by a battered women or hypnotized cult follower!
You guys crack me up, seriously. And, NO, PLEASE GET THIS, I don't compare San Francisco to Bloomington, hence my disagreement that Bloomington is a liberal city. My whole point was that Bloomington is nothing like San Francisco which IS a liberal town. Wow...I truly do understand what's happening in this thread now. No more mystery. I'm sure the OP has run back to the drawing board.

I apologize for coming back to this thread, but I chuckled when I read that blog post. You people should read it as well; although, I'm quite sure it won't sink in as it should.

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2015 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Herndon, VA
1,913 posts, read 1,807,969 times
Reputation: 6172
Here is another opinion about Bloomington: (Keep in mind, I am not a liberal, but the fact the people of Bloomington fancy themselves liberals cracks me and makes me laugh out loud.)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
This town is dirty and half of its population is rich and snobby college kids who go to IU. The rest of Bloomington, Indiana is hill-billy rednecks who ignore any one who isn't from Bloomington or Indiana.
So, for all of you saying you can't relate to my comments or how far out I am, I guess there are people that agree. Sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees, Bloomington peeps. Here's the final rub, I think it's a nice place to live. I love Southern Indiana, but a liberal community it is not.

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2015 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Bloomington, indiana
53 posts, read 58,745 times
Reputation: 73
Back to the OP question.

I can't tell you if there are any jobs in Bloomington for MBA's but I suspect there are a few around. If you have no experience you will be looking for entry level anyway and there are certainly a few places around large enough to have those on occasion. If you like the town atmosphere and really would like to live there, you may check out surrounding areas as well.

I personally have an engineering undergrad and an MBA in finance. I earned my BSIE in 1984 and my MBA in 1991. I live in Bloomington and drive to Columbus for work. It's a 45 minute drive through beautiful country. For me it's been great. Normally the commute is not a problem although occasionally someone is afraid to drive the speed limit or the winter snow slows things down. I highly recommend 4 wheel drive if you go that route. In the Columbus area there are many large manufacturing companies that all have finance departments with entry level roles open quite often. I'm a bit past entry level at this stage of my career.

My wife and I are empty nesters now and we like the variety of restaurants in Bloomington. We also like visiting Brown county on the weekend or going to Indy for shows. Going to see Bob Seger this weekend in fact.

I've personally lived in several different states over the years as well as spending two years in Europe. I've lived in Ann Arbor, MI (U of M MBA), South Bend, IN (Go Irish) and now Bloomington. If you take out the student population it is really a small town but that's okay with me. The university helps stabilize the local economy just as it did in South Bend and Ann Arbor so that's helpful if you are looking to invest in a home.

Obviously some folks have different views but for me it's a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
1 posts, read 983 times
Reputation: 16
Thumbs up Is Bloomington a good place to live?

I have lived in Bloomington for the last 21 years. I knew nothing about the town when I came here, and only came here because I married a man that had lived here his whole life, and his family had been in this area since 1850 :-)

Bloomington is unlike any other place I have lived...in a GOOD way.

The people here DO care, and if I had a flat tire, I would definitely feel confident that someone would stop and offer to help. I have had people help when I had car problems, had people help when I was looking for addresses/location, had people help with advice or general knowledge that was helpful to me.

I like to tell my relatives that NO ONE goes hungry in Bloomington, IN...there are so many places to HELP a person if they need it. There is Geno's..which is a place you can go to eat a meal, get help or advice..it is a location of "Backstreet Mission" and they are very willing to help. There is Community Kitchen on Rogers St. Where you can get a tray full of wonderful cooking...AND a frozen meal to take home if you need it. There is Mother Hubbards on Allen St. Where you can go once a week and get meat/bread/produce to feed your family if you need the help. There is Shalom Center, Salvation Army, and other churches or foundations that just HELP if you need it. :-)

As for what kind of town is it? Its like most college towns. The population SWELLS when school is in. The city is VERY bicycle friendly with 'bike lanes' almost everywhere. There are good doctors (and very few bad ones) The hospital is wonderful, and the staff is great.

The schools--some are better than others. But that is true in any city and you just have to ask people, THEN come to your own conclusions. There are two high schools. One is more 'College Prep' geared (South) and the other (North) is more mechanical and applied science..both have good and bad things about them.

In summary, I would have to say that Bloomington, Indiana is probably one of the best places in the U.S. I have lived, and I would have to quote my mother by saying "It is what you put into it." YOU can make the city better, or you can only look at bad things and wish you were elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top